MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: 10mm hardcast w/gas check help

Boolit Bub

10mm hardcast w/gas check help

I'm loading new Starline brass. Ran through my Hornady sizing die.
    Longshot powder 7.8, 8, 8.2 grains. 5 rounds each.
    CCI large pistol primers.
    Lyman flaring die.
    Montana Bullet Works 200 grain https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...-200gr-wfn-gc/
    OAL at 1.25"
    Finished with Lee FCD to remove flare.

As a quick check, I did a "plunk test" using my S&W M&P 4.6" 10mm barrel.
    They drop in easy, but I can't really tell if the bullet is interfering with the bore. They need just a light tap of my fingernail to drop out of the chamber. I also pushed as hard as I could on the cartridge into the chamber with my thumb and cannot see any deformation or marks on the bullet. Am I possibly having them stick a bit on the bullet lube that pushed out of the mouth during seating?

Any thoughts or advice?
    Disabled Army veteran

Boolit Grand Master
    Could be. Wipe a few clean with a paper towel and see if any difference. You could also give the Lee Factory Crimp Die a little adjustment to further reduce the flare. I assume your barrel is clean of transferred lube. Does your slide go into battery with these rounds? If so, I'd shoot 'em.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Could be. Wipe a few clean with a paper towel and see if any difference. You could also give the Lee Factory Crimp Die a little adjustment to further reduce the flare. I assume your barrel is clean of transferred lube. Does your slide go into battery with these rounds? If so, I'd shoot 'em.
    I'll clean and check. I haven't been to the range. I was loading on this WY blizzardy day. I haven't tried chambering yet. Lot's to do. Thank you!

ETA: I wiped the cartridges off pretty well with a towel and most plop right out when the barrel is inverted. I "think" I'm good to go?
    Last edited by czgunner; 02-14-2023 at 11:42 PM.
    Disabled Army veteran

Boolit Grand Master

Your loads are passing the plunk test ... as long as they drop in and then are "easy out" , a gentle nudge is fine ... it's probably just boolit lube ... They aren't sticking hard ...
    I would say you are good to go ...

So ... go CHOOT EM' !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Yup go shoot them.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub

Well, the chronograph tells me I'm not hitting 1200 fps. About 1130.
    I ordered some of the same bullet sized to .401. Not sure if that will help or not.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Disabled Army veteran

Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I'm loading new Starline brass. Ran through my Hornady sizing die.
    Longshot powder 7.8, 8, 8.2 grains. 5 rounds each.
    CCI large pistol primers.
    Lyman flaring die.
    Montana Bullet Works 200 grain https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...-200gr-wfn-gc/
    OAL at 1.25"
    Finished with Lee FCD to remove flare.

As a quick check, I did a "plunk test" using my S&W M&P 4.6" 10mm barrel.
    They drop in easy, but I can't really tell if the bullet is interfering with the bore. They need just a light tap of my fingernail to drop out of the chamber. I also pushed as hard as I could on the cartridge into the chamber with my thumb and cannot see any deformation or marks on the bullet. Am I possibly having them stick a bit on the bullet lube that pushed out of the mouth during seating?

Any thoughts or advice?
    Hogdon recommends a maximum of 7.5 grains with a 200 grain bullet. You are already well over that. I think you need a different powder and to stay within specs.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/hod...dgdon-longshot

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    Hogdon recommends a maximum of 7.5 grains with a 200 grain bullet. You are already well over that. I think you need a different powder and to stay within specs.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/hod...dgdon-longshot
    Thanks. I found so much conflicting information. Do you have a powder you recommend?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Disabled Army veteran

There are several mentioned here:

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/10mm-auto-pet-loads

I would stick to manufacturer's recipes and use perhaps Unique powder or AA#5.

Boolit Grand Master

You need to get a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition .
    Under the heading of 10mm Auto there are 6 different boolit weights and under the 200 gr. boolit loads with about 16 different powders ... and the data is reliable .

Hodgdon's reloading data center is sketchy at best ... I no longer go there for data .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Alotta guys like longshot. I know most run past book to hit proper 10mm numbers. WORK UP EASY!!!!

I use blue dot but again WORK UP EASY!!

Today I been using POWER PISTOL. Easy to pass 1200 in my G20. 1260 in my G40. Same here yes past book GO SLOW has been fine.

10mm has been neutered and continued to be neutered. Even data is pusified cause well lawyers thats why! Know your work. Watxh for signs and GO SLOW!!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Blue Dot is a good choice. I also like AA#9. I can get about 1350 with a 180 grain cast (GC) boolit in a 4" GP100 and a little north of 1400 fps in my 5" 1911.
    WWG1WGA

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Alotta guys like longshot. I know most run past book to hit proper 10mm numbers. WORK UP EASY!!!!

I use blue dot but again WORK UP EASY!!

Today I been using POWER PISTOL. Easy to pass 1200 in my G20. 1260 in my G40. Same here yes past book GO SLOW has been fine.

10mm has been neutered and continued to be neutered. Even data is pusified cause well lawyers thats why! Know your work. Watxh for signs and GO SLOW!!
    I too use Power Pistol and also Winchesters Auto Comp.

Boolit Master
    I don't have a lot of trigger time with any 10mm platform, but 200 gr. @ 1130 f/s is NOT "slouchy" performance! If you can obtain similar performance with a faster-burning (thus, more economical) propellant, all to the good! If not, then then 8.0 + 0.2 gr. per load is not a bad deal.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!