Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Rifle Barrel bore scope/camera

Boolit Buddy

Rifle Barrel bore scope/camera

Any recommendations on a bore scope/camera for 22-45 cal rifles?

Boolit Master
    I bought a Bore Scope last year to replace a Cheap plumbing scope I had been using.
    I bought "Teslong Digital Bore scope " off the internet.
    It works Great from .22 all the way thru my .75 muzzleloaders.
    In fact it works so great.
    On my Annual gun cleaning, it showed things that I had missed in cleaning before.
    And also some very minor putting that I hadn't seen on some of my Mil Surps.
    I will say it is not a High Grade Professional bore scope.
    But it is very reasonably priced and works great for the major amount of work that I do on rebuilding guns.
    There are a couple of pictures of a barrel I worked on , posted in the ML thread under " Bubbad Barrel Repair " I think on Page 4 or 6
    Last edited by LAGS; 02-14-2023 at 12:01 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    As LAGS posted the Teslong is nice. Can get short or long rigid probes, or a long semi-flexible probe.

Can use it with a WIN10/11 laptop as the O/S has a camera app included with it.

Teslong also offers a display unit which will record audio/video, or take snap shots. Saved to a uSD card can easily transfer those to a PC.

I have the long flexible probe and the 5" display unit. Didn't think I'd use it as much I as do. Besides barrels and chambers, it comes in handy for all kinds of things (flash hole uniforming look-see, chamber/throat/leade/rifling observation, and so on).

45_Colt

Boolit Grand Master

Another vote for the Teslong. I use mine in everything from the 204 Ruger to 458 Win Mag.
    Last edited by stubshaft; 02-14-2023 at 02:23 PM.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    I figure it would be great not only for looking at chambers and bores, but get in tight places, and good for automotive such as removing the sparkplug to check for cylinder wall damage, carbon, etc.

There is more than one model of this unit so is there a specific model? Also, do you have a trusted source to get it? After getting some China knock-off items on Amazon and Ebay (regardless of reviews which are a joke at times), I would prefer to buy from a trusted source.

I appreciate all.

Brownells has this one: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...rod147385.aspx
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 02-14-2023 at 05:29 PM. Reason: additional information

I have the USB Teslong I got from Amazon. I plug it into my laptop. They do make a bluetooth version that you can use your phone to view. I like the big screen of the laptop.

Boolit Master
    The one I bought is the NTG100.
    It has a 45" long flexible tube.
    I bought it On Line from WalMart.
    Mine plugs into my phone or laptop.
    The scope I use to use was some cheap plumbing drain view scope.
    It was not focused and was bought to find things when working on my cars or unclogging drains.

Boolit Buddy
    The one listed at Brownells is the one I purchased. Although directly from Teslong. No chance of counterfeit that way. Along with not doing amazon...

NTG500 Rifle Borescope with 5-inch IPS Screen

Note that the focal length is short, it won't be like using an automotive style bore scope. It is intended for short distances as found in barrels. Could use it in an engine bore, but need to get up close for focusing.

The scope does come with various diameter right-angle mirrors to look at the sides of the barrel. Which being changeable can also be removed for head on viewing.

45_Colt

Boolit Buddy
    I bought the NTG500H.

Thanks all for your help.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Teslong off Amazon, a ridged tube maybe 26 inches long. It came with a couple mirrors for a 22. I had to buy a pack of different sizes separately. It does work great but you might see things you can't unsee.

Boolit Master

Talked my brother into buying one (Teslong) and he was shocked at the "innards" of his barrel. No great amounts of copper fouling but he discovered 3 distinct gouges within the groves of the barrel. Contacted the maker; sent the rifle back and received back a new barreled action. He's excited with the results and is now going to cause me to step up my game in our "friendly" competitions.

jmho - unless you are a professional barrel maker or gunsmith they are a complete waste of money - recent wxample is the best rated competitor in my club used one to check bore on his most accurate rifle, took look thru borescope + immediately had it barreled with high cost premium barrel - scores dropped drastically + bedding + all other factors checked to no avail + he is now trying to get his old barrel back - it might not look good but it will shoot great -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    jmho - a bore scope is a valuable piece of equipment. I've used one to see many different items that required action. Such as leading just in front of the chamber. A reamer took care of the fact that there wasn't any leade between the throat and rifling. Without the scope, I wasn't able to see that.

Then checking for carbon build up, lead streaking, copper fouling.

Not sure why a best rated competitor would dump a barrel based on what they saw via a bore scope. If it shoots, it shoots. When it doesn't shoot, well, a look-see can do wonders.

And, at the cost of a # of powder, they are inexpensive.

45_Colt

again jmho copper fouling, lead streaking, carbon build up, + etc. is easily detected by discoloration on tight fitting patches + visual inspection with a bore light - bore scope magnifies some conditions that have little effect on accuracy -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin