Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Ruger Single six un-conversion parts needed.

Ruger Single six un-conversion parts needed.

Can anyone tell me the parts list needed to un-convert a Single six from from the Transfer bar conversion? I bought one and did not receive the Original OM parts.

It was dirt cheap, clean and pretty withe WMR cyl also. I would like to un-convert it back to OM standard.

Boss.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Good luck with that! I would start scrounging Gunbroker and Fleabay, and be prepared to spend some serious coin.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

* OM hammer
    * OM cylinder pin
    * OM cylinder stop
    * OM cylinder stop spring
    * OM transfer bar
    * OM trigger
    * OM trigger return spring
    * OM pawl

IME, obtaining these hen's-tooth parts today will most likely cost what you paid for the converted Single-Six.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Uhh, the list above is a little incorrect. There is NOT an "OM transfer bar" !

When Ruger does the safety transfer bar conversion, they add the transfer bar. It was not part of the original design.

I may have a complete set of re-conversion parts. PM me.

Moderator Emeritus

I was under the impression that Ruger kept the old parts when they did the conversion. Good lick with your search.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Ruger claims to return the old parts when the conversion is done. Now, it wouldn't surprise me if some employees pocket them to sell for big bucks. For the OP, it might be easier and even cheaper overall to sell the current Single Six and buy one that was never converted. There are quite a few of them out there.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

HI,

I got this convertible really cheap. If it has to stay converted until I stumble across the OM parts, so be it.

There has to be a junk drawer somewhere full of these. lol.

Boolit Master

Good luck, but I doubt there are many parts out there, unless some boutique manufacturer made then to "un-convert" ruger handguns.

Ruger was the only one doing the conversion and it is my understanding that they never returned the old parts. So i doubt there are any parts available.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Good luck, but I doubt there are many parts out there, unless some boutique manufacturer made then to "un-convert" ruger handguns.

Ruger was the only one doing the conversion and it is my understanding that they never returned the old parts. So i doubt there are any parts available.
    They have always claimed they'd return the old parts after doing the conversion.

https://ruger.com/pdf/safetyOfferAd.pdf

Boolit Master

Thanks for the correction. I was always told that they did not return the parts. How old? (what date) is that add from?

Boolit Master

If correct according to the add, then there should be parts out there. I was unaware of the offer of parts being returned.

Boolit Master

Years ago I had a couple of old model rugers returned for the conversion and both had the old parts returned to me in a sealed plastic bag. I still have them in my shop somewhere.

Gmsharps

Boolit Buddy

i returned my SBH in the early 80's because I hoped the new parts and retiming would make things better. Had a lot of rounds downrange. Came back with a regular hammer instead of the wide Semi-beavertail it came with. But I did get the origional oarts in a bag. IMHO I think a lot of people threw them away with the box! GW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Thanks for the correction. I was always told that they did not return the parts. How old? (what date) is that add from?
    It is a current offer that can be found on the Ruger website under safety announcements.

Boolit Master
    Ruger has been offering the transfer bar safety upgrade for MANY years. And they do return the original parts, UNLESS Ruger determines them to be unsafe. (Broken notches in the hammer or a broken trigger tip.) There has been many "internet stories" of Ruger keeping the parts,, but none have been verified. Ruger has a special bag, with printing on it, just for the OM parts they remove & return.
    That said, often, when they would return a gun after the addition of the transfer bar,, the OM parts would be in a bag, AND under the folded cardboard flap in the return box. MANY people never looked for the parts, and "threw away the box."

I have been in touch with the OP, and I have a spare set of parts if he chooses to get a set.

I have found OM parts sets on gun show tables, or bought them from a person who had the conversion done & didn't want the parts.