RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estate Buy

Estate Buy

I bought a estate from a friend of mine. His father passed away and had some reloading stuff he wanted to sell. I wound up with a Hornady Lock and Load AP progressive press. It has two sets of dies three shell plates and the powder measure as well as some other parts. There's a Hornady single stage press, a Hornady measure and a Hornady scale. They are all dirty but work. I have little to no inclination to clean or refurbish or buy any missing parts. The progressive is missing a few. There's no priming mechinism, and there's no tube on the powder measure although. I have the primer tubes. The single stage has no primer catcher.

Don't ask to buy! Just asking what I should do to get ready or should I sell as is. I have enough post to sell in swapping and selling. I will post when ready
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    IMO a picture of a "clean" press will fetch a better price.

Many of the parts needed sound cheap to get. A "working" press will get more $$$ but if you do not want to put the effort in just be honest with the deficiencies when you post it. Lots of folks will spend a bit of time and coin to get a press running again.

Good luck!!
    Don Verna

I think putting a bit of elbow grease in the stuff would bring more cash. Other wise sell as is, some people are looking for A DEAL and will be happy to do the work! Its your call as to how much work you want to put into it, Something I would buy as is.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Quote Originally Posted by 35isit View Post
    I have little to no inclination to clean or refurbish or buy any missing parts.
    In that condition, it'll be like selling a wrecked car that doesn't run.
    Don't expect to get much for it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I too bought a shooter's estate. After a year of moving, cleaning, storage, advertising, internet and face-to-face sales, hustling, in particular shipping, I was BURNED OUT. I made money but turned this hobby into a "business", which sucked the fun out of all of it. BEWARE!
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Agree that a non working press will not bring back much and biggest problem with selling these heavy , bulky items is the crazy cost of shipping.

Boolit Master

Don is dead on. Pictures always help.

Boolit Master

things just arnt selling like they used to. price them low as is and you will find more possible buyers
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    Split into useful units. Sell primer tubes as a lot for example. If people don't know if it works, they won't pay much for it on the chance it doesn't work.

If it is bulky, go for local sales on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace.

Frosted Boolits

Yep, at one point I bought an estate sale which included multiple truckloads (yep, full size trucks) of reloading equipment. A few of you may remember. It included over 500 die sets, 10s of thousands of bullets, several presses, and many, many other items. It was a gigantic chore to sort it all out, clean up what needed to be cleaned up, give everything a final inspection, and then price everything. Then to get it all boxed up and shipped. Lol. Boy it was a lot of fun but a lot of work. Brings back memories. Lol
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    Yep, at one point I bought an estate sale which included multiple truckloads (yep, full size trucks) of reloading equipment. A few of you may remember. It included over 500 die sets, 10s of thousands of bullets, several presses, and many, many other items. It was a gigantic chore to sort it all out, clean up what needed to be cleaned up, give everything a final inspection, and then price everything. Then to get it all boxed up and shipped. Lol. Boy it was a lot of fun but a lot of work. Brings back memories. Lol
    There must have been some story about how a person could have accumulated that much. I had one experience where a person was clearly a hoarder. They had so much stuff and the person trying to sell it had no idea how to get rid of it all.

Frosted Boolits

The guy that owned it all passed away and his daughter wanted it all gone. Supposedly the guy was big into going to gun shows and peddling stuff here and there. There was ALOT of good stuff. The daughter was super happy that I took it all and was also happy with the sale price. Edit: We we’re both very happy with the sale price.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

several years ago i was given quite a large group of ammo-reloading-gun parts, but it had to be removed in two days and i and several friends did it and it was put in my garage-celler and we still go thru it finding things we use. i have sold some things, but not for alot of money. only the gun parts were sold to a parts dealer for a good price.

Have bought a couple of bundles of reloading stuff at auctions and enjoy finding some really odd stuff in it

Boolit Bub
    I work part-time at a range and had a guy bring in a box full of stuff he found at a garage sale - he wanted us to sell it for him.

It's mostly 70s stuff and includes a nice Lyman beam scale, Lyman 55 PM in great shape, and some odds and ends.

The price is very low, but I haven't had a single interested party.

The used reloading equipment market is strange.

I firmly believe that everything has a life span. After that time is up, headaches begin. For that reason I prefer new and hopefully I’m gone when the lifespan ends.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GunsandCoffee View Post
    I work part-time at a range and had a guy bring in a box full of stuff he found at a garage sale - he wanted us to sell it for him.

It's mostly 70s stuff and includes a nice Lyman beam scale, Lyman 55 PM in great shape, and some odds and ends.

The price is very low, but I haven't had a single interested party.

The used reloading equipment market is strange.
    Shooters at the range already know or have all the stuff they need. Whether they WANT more stuff depends. The range is a poor place to sell reloading stuff, unless perhaps you are setting the price to effectively "give it away". So too is expecting a quick sale on casting and reloading forums (for the same reason as above) with the exception that our forums do bring new folks for recommendations, a look, and perhaps to purchase something available on-line.

Clean the stuff up. Take a picture. Set a reasonable price. Post an ad with its photo on-line and wait for the fish to bite. Advertising (like fishing) takes time, some effort, and its results are intermittent. You just never know when the fish are biting.

The "guy at the range" should pick up his stuff, do the grunt work himself, and advertise it elsewhere...or give it all to you and then you can decide how to "dispose" of it.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 03-03-2023 at 08:56 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I find that dies sell well at the right price since the designs have not changed much. Powder measures are sort of in the same boat, but people don’t need many in most cases. Beam scales have been replaced by electronic ones so I find few people want them. Older reloading manuals and stuff don’t sell well either (in my area).

Boolit Buddy
    Had a Hornady LNL AP press for sale, all parts (minus dies and shellplate) plus a bunch of small spare parts. Tore it down, cleaned, lubed and put back together. This is a $600 press before tax and shipping. Advertised on Texas Gun Trader and Craigslist. Took 9 months to sell it. Finally sold it for $200.

That was a working press with all parts, but ymmv.

Boolit Master

It will not take very long just to clean it up, I think it would be time well spent in the selling price.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast