MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester commeratives

Winchester commeratives

Anybody ever shoot these? I got an Ollie Winchester in 38 55 on the cheap a couple months ago and finally got out to pop of a few rounds a couple days ago. EXCELLENT shooter! This one has been shot before me, The action is all slicked up and has a very nice trigger. I have always passed these by because they are so garish with the stupid medallion inlay and all the plating. The Checkering is all hand cut and the wood has lots of curl in it, so big bonus there.
    I think the sights have been changed out too. They are marbles front and rear, the front being a bead which fits right down into the round opening in the bottom of the VEE slot in the rear. I can actually see the sights! Are these normal for the Commemoratives?

I have 2, a Chief Crazy Horse 38/55 and a Buffalo Bill rifle 30-30, shoot both. Prefer the CH. I got them mainly because I wanted the 94 in full length rifle without the lawyer crap built in. Both are excellent shooters too. The CH I D&Ted for a Skinner peep sight, will probably do the same for the BB.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crazy Horse 1-17-21.jpg   BBC 94 4-10-22.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    I have four, a '67 Canadian Centennial that's been remade into a Trapper (.30-30), a '76 Bi-Centennial (.30-30 carbine), a Legendary Lawman (.30-30 Trapper), and a '66 Centennial (.30-30 Short Rifle). Everything except the Bi-Centennial has been shot. The Canadian Centennial is my truck gun, and the others are used for matches & hunting depending on my mood and what I'm hunting. All shoot as well as I can, no complaints. The '66 Centennial has been d&t for a tang sight and has had the front sight replaced with a Lyman 17A.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0021.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	310280

Name:	IMG_0782 (2).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	310284

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	310282

Name:	bicen7.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	310283
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1357.jpg  
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

I have had four of them come through my hands, unfired- all boxes & paperwork, and I just never got around to shooting them.
    They were a rifle and carbine each of the Teddy Roosevelt and Buffalo Bill Cody ones in .30-30.
    I got them on the cheap, held 'em a few years, and a guy that really, really wanted them for him & his kid found me
    around the time I was thinning out the herd in the gun safe.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

IMO, the Winchester commemorative leverguns are a bargain, to say the least - especially for hunters/shooters.

Where else can one get a Winchester levergun with high grade wood, extra finishing, and engraving for less than 50% of the cost of a pre-64 Winchester Custom Shop rifle ?

I paid $600 for My .32 Special Canadian RR Centennial commemorative that's the same pattern as a fancy/Custom Shop Model 55 - gennies are $3K+ in pristine/new condition (if one can even be found in that condition).

At those times afield, when game is scarce/not moving, at least an owner has a beautiful rifle in their hands to admire.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    .IMO, the Winchester commemorative leverguns are a bargain, to say the least - especially for hunters/shooters.
    I think the price went flat on them because they were so over produced.
    They made too many of each one, they came out too often, and as one gun comic book writer said-
    They have commemorated everything but a dog walking across the street.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    The only one that has kept pace in appreciation has been the John Wayne Commemorative. And, as their reputation as good shooters is spread, they all are all rising in cost.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

I've been looking at the J. Wayne's and they are bringing more money than I wanted to pay. I have a M '53 Winchester take down that was made in 1929 in 30-30 that came with an extra take down M94 barrel in 32-40 that interchanges, so I kind of have my 32-40 covered.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    Anybody ever shoot these? I got an Ollie Winchester in 38 55 on the cheap a couple months ago and finally got out to pop of a few rounds a couple days ago. EXCELLENT shooter! This one has been shot before me, The action is all slicked up and has a very nice trigger. I have always passed these by because they are so garish with the stupid medallion inlay and all the plating. The Checkering is all hand cut and the wood has lots of curl in it, so big bonus there.
    I think the sights have been changed out too. They are marbles front and rear, the front being a bead which fits right down into the round opening in the bottom of the VEE slot in the rear. I can actually see the sights! Are these normal for the Commemoratives?
    I have one of those - came supposedly unfired (doubtful but were no marks on it to disprove the claim) "action all slicked up and has a very nice trigger" mine came out of the box like that and is also an excellent shooter - I paid 850 when an angle eject 30/30 carbine was about that money or more - i reckon I won that deal!

Boolit Grand Master

Why not shoot them ? They are just rifles /carbines that so far the value has not grew dramatically. Some are even a far better bargain that their un-goobered cousins.
    For hunting Black Tape on the barrel to hide that gold stuff.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Why not shoot them ? They are just rifles /carbines that so far the value has not grew dramatically. Some are even a far better bargain that their un-goobered cousins.
    mine gets shot blackpowder mainly ....................

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    I have a dozen of them. I did not shoot them because I had other .30/30's to shoot so why reduce their value? I am selling them all off now. I will not lose anything on them, but they have not kept up with inflation. All of them are gorgeous rifles.

Like you, I do not understand folks buying well worn "normal" 94's when for a little more they can have something nicer.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Times have, imho, gotten sooo sad re pretty much all firearms in general. Demographic trends are a quite mobile population. The post-WWII concept of building or buying a homestead to raise a family and live out ones life, working at one -- maybe two -- employs throughout, was what was the goal. Today? Electronic entertainment -- remember the phonograph/turntable/record player and the many 33 1/3rpm records? The tape recorder.. then 8track... then "cassette"? NOW pretty much all do "streaming". Bills, etc, are dealt with by the ever many as "paperless". And how few write letters, even sending greeting cards, with eMail, "123-cards", etc.?
    I had a colleague who LIVED by the "RULE OF 50!" -- which meant that ALL of his possessions (e.g., his toothbrush was counted as one) in total -- everything -- summed to fifty or less!
    In a mobile population, minimalist of "stuff" (they have, albeit I have never viewed) television shows dissing people who have lots of stuff: "Hoarders" -- there's pretty much no space for any collectibles! Compounded monthly "Internet + cell 'phone + 'Cloud storage" bills take away much cash as well.
    Commemorative firearms surely would not have allowed room. I may be way off base, but a few "young'ens" I know are happy as one might be with "their AR and Glock". Period.
    geo

Boolit Mold
    Back about 2006, I spotted a Silver JW Commemorative for about $1,750 (Cdn). Given how many commemoratives Winchester dumped on the market, I waited. A few years later I found one that a previous owner had allowed some water in the base of his rifle rack, so the butt plate showed signs of minor rust, destroying it as a collectable. $900.00 (CDN) later I have a very pleasant shooting rifle.

Boolit Master
    Some years back before the current madness of high prices on all lever action carbines and rifles, I bought a used Canadian Centennial for $160 stuck a globe sight up front and a Williams on the rear. Very accurate. Then I bought another CC from Cherry's Fine guns except it was the 26" rifle version for $600. That one was NIB. Cannot do that today. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Like you, I do not understand folks buying well worn "normal" 94's when for a little more they can have something nicer.
    Well. . .they're kinda the difference between the Marlboro Man and the cowboy in the Village People.

To the OP, they varied quite a lot in features, so I wouldn't count on consistency of sights between all the offerings. At the point you get one fired and without the box, you might as well add what you want to it. If you have the box and are shooting it anyway, keep your OEM parts in the box. Same goes for an original oldie - try to keep the stock parts where your heirs can maybe have a chance of figuring it out.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I had one called "Classic" which was black chrome receiver and a nicely blued 26" octagon barrel. Had some subdued engraving(which I could have done without) but no gold or silver. Had a fairly decent trigger for a 94 and was very accurate. I sold it to get some cash for another rifle and I regret it to this day. It was the most accurate 30-30 model 94 I ever shot. For me, it was a natural pointer at 100 yards and I had no trouble keeping it around 3" to 4" offhand but I was much younger then and had great eyesight. I wouldn't mind having another one but at the prices being asked for the commeratives now days I guess I never will. james

Boolit Mold
    I have loved Winchester lever guns for ever, growing up watching westerns with my dad. He and my uncle both had 94 carbines and I just thought they were as cool could get. The fall of 67 dad took me along on his annual deer hunting trip, that week one of dad's buddies had a new Canadian Centennial 1894 rifle with the long bbl. To a 10 year old boy that gun was without a doubt the ultimate rifle someone could ever own.

Boolit Master
    Wife bought me the Boy Scout Commemorative, in 22 LR as a X-mas gift in the 80's. Great wood, as well as, fit and finish. Good shooter, also. Will never part with it.

Winelover

some of the lesser made winchester commeratives rifles have seen a big increase in value, while the common ones seem to go up at a lesser rate. winchester and baseball-football cards suffered from the same over production and killed the golden goose.