Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: 380acp lee 357-95rf powder

Boolit Mold

380acp lee 356-95rf powder

Just starting to ad 380acp to the reloads. I have small amounts of some Winchester wsf and waap-aaplus
    Cant find load data. I also have other powders and a lot of commercial #1
    Last edited by Saxmann10; 02-05-2023 at 06:09 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like you’re set on everything else but powder. If so, I’d look up what your manuals have for that weight that appears most on two fronts: the manual and the shelf, and then order some. Powder is finally available again, and at the very marginal appetite of the .380, you can still get quite a bit of bang for your buck. Even with shipping and hazmat. Hogdon seems to be what is available on the shelf near me.

Boolit Mold
    I have powders that will work but was hoping to use the half pound of the Winchester

Boolit Grand Master
    I think WSF is a bit too slow for the 380, if you load 40 S&W or 38 Super, you could use it there.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I've used 2.77 grains of Unique with Sierra jacketed of about 95 grains. It is the only loading I have done in .380 and got reliable feeding, so it is good enough for plinking/practice.

Used a Lee scoop, each scoop weighed 2.8 grains near as I could tell when weighed individually, but 10 scoops weighed together weighed 27.7 grains.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

231/hp38 are popular.

I like Power Pistol

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I recognize your first propellant as WSF, but the 2nd one confuses me. Is it supposed to be WAP? If yes, then these two propellants appear to have a burn rate that is slower than Alliant Herco, but faster than IMR-800X. The burn rate is likely favourable for .38 Super, .357 (either), or 10mm, but not for .380 ACP.
    Back in the day, when we ran out of (then) Hercules Unique on a .380 ACP project, we did a short work-up with Herco. We got it to work "adequately", but not really as well as Unique, nor Red Dot, nor IMR-700X (which seems to work pretty well in darned near every pistol (NOT "HandCannon") caliber. Red Dot gave us some of our highest velocities and tightest groups, BTW. Once the propellant burn rates get slow, case capacities drop, and chamber pressures dip under ~25,000 p.s.i., the faster-burning ones tend to shine.
    I SURMISE that, when the "wheels" at wherever Winchester gets their propellants tested saw that WSF and WAP did not deliver better than "so-so" results in .380 (assuming they even tried it), they just quit bothering to work it up.
    I WOULD expect that both the propellants you mention (if I have them right) would work pretty nicely in 9mmP, .40 S&W, and the other "major caliber" pistol rounds that I mentioned above. Sorry I couldn't find usable data for you.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    Ramshot Competition is supposed to be the same as Winchester AA Plus, and it is/was recommended for use in 12 ga. target shot shells. Made by Saint Marks in Florida, it was supposedly SMP-134, and originally sold by Winchester. But when General Dynamics bought the Saint Marks Powder facility, the head honcho over at Western Powder outbid Winchester for the rights to that powder, so AA + disappeared, and Ramshot Competition was born. It is apparently a very fast powder, similar in burn rate to Titewad, and was popular in 1 1/8 oz. 12 ga. target loads for it's economical, small charges.

A Western Load Data chart I have downloaded shows 2.0-2.3 grains min-max with a Berry's 100 grain Plated bullet. Since Berry's advice is to use cast data for their bullets, I'd load a few of the 2.0 grain loads and see if they will cycle the action.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I have excellent luck using W231 powder. Very soft shooting and always cycles the slide. I use same exact bullet.

Boolit Master
    Check out https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...er-WAAP-Powder

The last post in the above was supposed to be in this thread, but I got mixed up.

Boolit Master
    ODDLY, Hodgdon does not list data in .380, using Competition with a 95 gr. bullet, but there IS data for 80 gr. and 100 gr. projectiles. I guess the OP could use these data with AA+, but charge weights & velocities are low, and the range between starting and max loads is narrow.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Ramshot Competition is supposed to be the same as Winchester AA Plus, and it is/was recommended for use in 12 ga. target shot shells. Made by Saint Marks in Florida, it was supposedly SMP-134, and originally sold by Winchester. But when General Dynamics bought the Saint Marks Powder facility, the head honcho over at Western Powder outbid Winchester for the rights to that powder, so AA + disappeared, and Ramshot Competition was born. It is apparently a very fast powder, similar in burn rate to Titewad, and was popular in 1 1/8 oz. 12 ga. target loads for it's economical, small charges.
    <SMH> MAN, I wish I knew how to find out things like this...

Carpe SCOTCH!