I had a Glock 20 but found the grip area a bit to large for my liking

So I sold it

OK I would like to get a 10mm autoloading pistol
    As I am starting to do more night time hog hunting
    I had a good sized sow charge me a few weeks ago
    A hip shot with the FAL stopped her at 20 feet
    BUT ... OH Crud !!!!

A autoloader in 10mm topped with a Vortex Venom
    Loaded with 200 gr hard cast bullet seems like a good idea as a close range add on to my hunting rig

Also plinking and deer hunting

Anyone using a S&W M&P 10mm ?
    I was thinking about the full sized version without the safety

Your thoughts ?

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Buddy
    Just bought one but haven't had a chance to try it out, PSA has an awsome package with 2 extra mags and a holster for the same amount I got mine with only 2 mags, plus S&W has a promotion right now for $100 rebate if you buy one, $599 at PSA, rebate comes as a pre-paid credit card, mine is on its way.

Forgot to mention it's almost the same size as a M&P 9 2.0

Just noticed you're looking at the one without the safety, that's the PSA, the one I got has a safety.
    Last edited by tunnug; 02-05-2023 at 02:48 AM.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Buddy
    Just got the psa deal too, no safety on mine. Shot it a little recoil seemed lighter than my colt delta elite. Have a m&p 9mm too and they recoil less than a glock, think it's a lower bore.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the shorter barrel bought several months ago. It is surprisingly easy to shoot and the recoil is very controllable. Much more so than I thought it would be, in fact, not much more than the smaller Shield and Shield Plus 9mm. I think it's the grip which is very good and fits my hand well.

If your thinking of a 10mm I wouldn't hesitate to buy the SW version.
    Last edited by jonp; 02-05-2023 at 09:19 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post

So I sold it

BUT ... OH Crud !!!!

Loaded with 200 gr hard cast bullet seems like a good idea as a close range add on to my hunting rig

Your thoughts ?

Thanks
    John
    John, I have a M&P 45 Shield and it is a joy to shoot...a number of my friends have the 10mm and they really like them....the grip fits my small hands quite well and I like them better than the Glock. I'm not scared of a gun without a safety except if it is striker fired and what you are looking at are striker fired...but the only reason I am scared of the striker fired is if the trigger is not covered in the holster; otherwise I love striker fired pistols....If possible, I would find a range where you can rent one and try it out....enjoy the quest brother!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post

So I sold it

BUT ... OH Crud !!!!

Your thoughts ?

Thanks
    John
    John -- I few years back I stumbled upon a S&W Model 1006 -- slightly used but not abused (so dealer said ) -- and it seems to be quite heavily dutied built; the grip area is perfect for my medium (glove size large) hands; is most reliable; and even is pleasing to the eye in appearance. It has worked well for me in "plinking" but I've never used it for hunting. However, as this pistol was made to handle the "too-hot for many" FBI loads -- it should be quite comfortable with deer- and similar power factor shooting.
    Should you chance upon one of these -- it may be worth a look?
    BEST!
    geo

Moderator Emeritus

Those are some decent deals on the M&P 10. I love the 10's. I have SA's but was in my LGS and saw a Magnum Research Desert Eagle in 10mm. Just called to me. Couldn't believe how good she felt and I also have smaller hands. I bought her for $800 new. Have not shot her yet, but supposed to warm up some over the next few days. I really like how SA (have the full and compact 10's) fits, but this was like a beautiful glove. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master
    Agree w/ above. The S&W 1006 is a shooter!.

Call me negative Nancy, but I have been shooting 45 and 45 Super over the years. Buddy of mine has a G20. We’ve both shot deer at close range, and I know it’s not a hog, but I’ve been able to achieve complete penetration with 200 to 230 grain loads (+P) in the ACP and he has not been able to get full penetration running a 180gr HP. Maybe something about the Glock, I don’t know. Seems most higher-end 10mm loads are boutique-ish and I don’t think the Glock could run them (200+ grain loads).

Maybe the M&P will be able to digest them. At any rate, my experience guides me to stick with the 45ACP. Not trying to dissuade you, just giving you another perspective. And I’ve not noticed our south Alabama hogs are favoring the 10mm over a +P 45. Of course, YMMV.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up a 2.0 about a year ago. Finally got around to putting a Holosun 507 on it a month or so ago and took it to the range. Running some 200 gr hard cast and JHP's reloads. I'm favorably impressed. Works well and has higher mag capacity than the 10mm Rock Island 1911 clone that I have (I do like it too). 10mm seems to be the choice for a semi auto in bear country if you don't favor a revolver.

Boolit Bub
    I purchased the S&W 10mm 4 " barrel because it had the slide cut for a red dot from the factory. The adapters are plastic but seem to work.

Boolit Buddy
    John - I say this as a long time Sig fan. Early days, I had to carry a Glock 9, then 40 and never really liked them. Changed agencies, had to carry Sig 226s in 9, then later in 40. The dept, then went to M&P 45s, think they were 4" bbls, and was not looking forward to the change, until I fired it. I really liked the 45 and think I actually shot it better than the 226 in 40. Retired and grabbed a Shield in 45 when they came out. It shoots everything lead, fmjs, jhps, reloads, etc - almost 500 or so rds now, no malfunctions whatsoever. As a long term fan of the 10mm and owner of 2 currently, I plan to buy the M&P version, as soon as they're available in this state. If it's anything like the 45, I carried daily for 5+ yrs, I'm sure I'll love it. At the current pricing, I don't think you can go wrong. Bill in MA

Boolit Master

OK
    I think I will get one
    As I can get some $$ from the points I have built up on my credit card over the last 2 years
    The points will not cover the S&W 10
    But will make the cost hurt a lot less

Now I do some online searching
    As Bass Pro will match a price I find On Line

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Grand Master

It's hard to find a bad review on any M&P handgun. Their older SA/DA guns especially were nice. I'm just not fond of any striker fired guns. That's personal preference for trigger and manual of arms.

If you haven't already looked, one of the best 10mms I've seen is the Ruger 1911 in 10mm auto. I realize it has a safety. Another one is kind of hard to find, Sig has made the P220 DA/SA in 10mm auto, no safety, and the grip is medium sized.

Boolit Bub
    Galloway Precision carries assembled stainless steel guide rods for the M&P 10 in various spring rates for the 4inch barrel.