WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Marlins from Ruger

Uh, that $700-800 price is what the gun costs at the Distributor Level when they buy 500, not the Retail Level. Retail will be more like $1300-1400 with the guns going for more initially due to "Availability Mark Up." My Local Gun Store sold every 1895 they got in at $1995 and none lasted more than a few days.

And don't quote me on any of these prices as I am just guessing !!!

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Well I got tired of waiting for the New Marlin 1894's, so now I own my second Henry in 44 Mag. (Steel this time) or should I say I bought a Henry Marlin.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Uh, that $700-800 price is what the gun costs at the Distributor Level when they buy 500, not the Retail Level. Retail will be more like $1300-1400 with the guns going for more initially due to "Availability Mark Up." My Local Gun Store sold every 1895 they got in at $1995 and none lasted more than a few days.

And don't quote me on any of these prices as I am just guessing !!!

Randy.
    My usual shop really doesn't mark up new guns much at all, usually 10-15%. He makes most of his money on ammo, used guns, and accessories. If he was paying a grand to the distributor I would guess he would price it at 1150.00, probably accept 1100.00 if you are a long time customer.

I see no reason why Ruger couldn't be price competitive with Henry on at least the standard versions of the 1894, 1895, and 336. The designs and materials aren't much different, and of course Ruger has enormous resources they can draw on. If parts production is mostly automated and requires little to no fitting, economy of scale should bring the prices down an awful lot.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

"Economy of scale should bring the prices down an awful lot." Maybe in a few years after all the Engineering is done and the production line is running smoothly. However by that time inflation will have jacked the prices of everything up beyond what they are today.

My advice is if you see something you like you better buy it. There is no telling when It might show up again, and will probably cost more when it does.

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Buddy
    The guns aren't worth more, the money is worth less. Buy it now, it'll never be less expensive than it is today.
    Last edited by r80rt; 02-22-2023 at 08:14 PM.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    The guns aren't worth more, the money is worthless. Buy it now, it'll never be less expensive than it is today.
    This right here!!

The guns aren't worth more. Just like your house isn't worth more.

Your dollars are worth less!

Buy now and enjoy them.

At my age I am too old to worry. I have given up waiting on Ruger/Marlin. Not that I don't think Ruger will succeed. I think they will make fine rifles.

Ruger seems to make less product than the consumers want to keep the prices up. Fair enough and if I were 30 years old again it wouldn't bother me.

I already have several Marlins that work great. Two are Remlins. So I'm good. I am in the process of downsizing. I sold a couple of old beater project cars that I would never get to and bought a Rossi 92 45 Colt, Rossi 92 357 magnum and a Citadel (CBC/Rossi) Levtac 92 in 357 magnum. I am enjoying the heck out of them as they are the best Brazilian 92's ever made in my opinion. As accurate as any of my Marlins and smooth as glass.

Will I buy a Ruger Marlin? Maybe. If the price is right. But the magic has worn off for me.
    Last edited by papaglenn; 02-12-2023 at 09:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    I just saw the MSRP for the 45-70. What, In my neck of the woods a guy would have to work the entire month and not pay any bills or eat just to buy a gun to shoot a dear to save on food. Ammo for 45-70 around here is 50+ dollars a box. Remember I am looking at this from a working mans class with a young family to take care of and do not own anything just looking to hunt. Tax hunting license and ammo we are looking at 1750 ish. Crazy and honestly not going to happen. Ruger has marketed themselves out of a major class of people.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    I just saw the MSRP for the 45-70. What, In my neck of the woods a guy would have to work the entire month and not pay any bills or eat just to buy a gun to shoot a dear to save on food. Ammo for 45-70 around here is 50+ dollars a box. Remember I am looking at this from a working mans class with a young family to take care of and do not own anything just looking to hunt. Tax hunting license and ammo we are looking at 1750 ish. Crazy and honestly not going to happen. Ruger has marketed themselves out of a major class of people.
    Respectfully, new lever actions haven't been affordable for the working man for quite awhile now. People looking for a new functional hunting rifle at a good price would be crazy to go with anything other than one of the new MOA cheap bolt actions (Savage Axis, TC Compass, etc.), not that there is much else out there. Back when you could buy a new 94 or 336 for three bills, you were buying a rifle with alot of compromises made to get the price down and you could in fact be buying a project gun. I'm currently sorting out a 1985 94 which won't group worth a poo, and the workmanship and parts fit on this example is absolutely nothing to be proud of. The talented folks of the Khyber Pass could easily make a better rifle than this thing is.

I think Ruger is also aware that today's lever action buyers want very well made rifles and aren't afraid to spend serious coin on them. Look at how much the Italian replicas and Japanese Winchesters go for. I would love to see someone come out with a new lever action design that is tube fed and has the classic look but can be easily mass produced with low labor costs. Henry has incorporated this somewhat, and their rifles are well made and come with A+ customer service if you should ever need it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Ruger is just making guns for what it costs to stay in business. "Joe Biden" has made that class of people into Impoverished Slaves!!!. I have lost so much money on the Equity of my Home it is ridiculous. I blame J Powell for that because instead of confronting Biden and making him "Turn the Oil back on!!!" which is what caused the crash in the first place. He decides the only way to combat Inflation is by Raising Interest Rates which makes all the Banks see Windfall Profits at the expense of the rest of us.!

They really don't care and the sooner we can get rid of them the better off the citizens of this country will be.

Randy

Another thing to remember is, for most of the twentieth century bolt action rifles were regarded as upscale and levers were the working man's gun. Nowadays that has flipped, with very accurate bolt guns selling for less than cheap lever actions did when adjusted for inflation. Even rather recently, basic bolt actions sold for more than lever actions. In 2003, I bought a new Winchester 94 Ranger and my best friend bought a new Remington 700 ADL from the same shop. Sticker price on my rifle was $275.00, his was $399.00. Adjusted for inflation, my 94 cost around $437.00 and his 700 cost around $634.00. That's quite a cost difference, especially considering the 94 is a more complicated design. By comparison, the Savage Axis with scope for $375.00 at my side job shop would have cost only $236.00 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Ruger is just making guns for what it costs to stay in business. "Joe Biden" has made that class of people into Impoverished Slaves!!!. I have lost so much money on the Equity of my Home it is ridiculous. I blame J Powell for that because instead of confronting Biden and making him "Turn the Oil back on!!!" which is what caused the crash in the first place. He decides the only way to combat Inflation is by Raising Interest Rates which makes all the Banks see Windfall Profits at the expense of the rest of us.!

They really don't care and the sooner we can get rid of them the better off the citizens of this country will be.

Randy
    Most people are too stupid to have your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    That’s what I thought!

$7-800 for a 41 mag lever seems too good to be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can add my name to that list.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Looked at some more pictures of the 336 and 1894 from the Shot Show. They are handsome rifles and Ruglin is keeping the .35 available in the 336. Winoku eat your heart out, sign me up!

Banned
    I get a laugh out of the guys who think nothing of spending 80k on a pickup truck and then turn around and complain that a new gun costs more then the $350 they paid for something in 1983

I'm waiting patiently for a .44 mag marlin with a 20 twist barrel .

Quote Originally Posted by anongeorge View Post
    I get a laugh out of the guys who think nothing of spending 80k on a pickup truck and then turn around and complain that a new gun costs more then the $350 they paid for something in 1983

I'm waiting patiently for a .44 mag marlin with a 20 twist barrel .
    Agree 100%. Look at how much some folks have tied up in one bass boat or ATV.

Another Tid Bit to consider is that Pick Up Truck and/or Bass Boat will decrease in value over time. The gun won't.

Randy

I would be happy to pay $1400 for a new Ruglin 45/70 with threaded barrel, if I could get one locally.

Boolit Mold
    I own a number of Marlins of various years and the best three I have ever owned are these, a new Ruger-Marlin 1895 SBL, GBL and a late Remington-Marlin SBL:

I was able to get the SBL at MSRP and the GBL at well under MSRP. My favorite is still the Remington, it is what it is and we know each other.

Boolit Master
    I just wish they where making it in other calibers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I would be happy to pay $1400 for a new Ruglin 45/70 with threaded barrel, if I could get one locally.
    https://gunprime.com/products/marlin...arrel-70450?gd

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast