RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Marlins from Ruger

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    How is the trigger? Is it like Ruger's normal heavy, creepy? Will the rifles still need a trigger job?

Jim
    Yes, heavy with creep. I have a new Marlin in .44 Mag.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My side job shop has a new Ruglin .44 and its a real beauty. Even at $1200.00 I think it is worth it as long as it shoots as good as it looks. The Italian and Japanese 92's go for that much or more. I bet my local shop could sell one for less than that.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    My side job shop has a new Ruglin .44 and its a real beauty. Even at $1200.00 I think it is worth it as long as it shoots as good as it looks. The Italian and Japanese 92's go for that much or more. I bet my local shop could sell one for less than that.
    Could you please check the twist rate on that rifle?

Boolit Grand Master

The Marlin site says 1:20". I am hoping that is true!

Another good question is what the groove diameter is! Has anyone slugged one to see if the .44 is "normal" .44 groove diameter or the oversize SAAMI spec for rifles? Mine like boolits of at least 0.433".

The pics of the gun on the website look very nice! I have a 1980's vintage 1894 that has plain... make that ugly, wood and the fit and finish is poor with gaps around tangs. I am sure that Ruger used the nicer looking guns for the adds but if they are even remotely close to what we will be buying they will be nicer than mine!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master
    I have put more rounds through pistol caliber lever actions than another other CF rifles. They are just a lot of fun to shoot for ringing steel.

I did sell the .44 Mag Marlin, Rossi .45LC, and two .357 Uberti rifles but kept the two Marlins. One in .38 and the other in .357. I did not shoot them much when the cost of primers went nuts. With "off brand" primers down under $60/k they will be seeing more use this year.

IMO, $1000 is lot of money for a "fun toy" but worth it. If you are a younger guy, they will provide a lifetime of fun. Even if you only live another 20 years, it comes to $50/year. If you die sooner, you can't take the money with you anyway.

I was disappointed with the review Idaho Guy did on his new gun. The accuracy was poor. I hope it was due to using factory ammunition, but I fear that is not the whole story. I have not seen any other reports wrt the accuracy of these guns. My old ones put 10 rounds into an inch at 30 yards with mouse phart loads and that was all I needed for CAS. I plan to test them at 100 yards this year with .38+P loads and will report back.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Ruger and Mr. Buchanan give us hope. I look forward to the Cowboy action shooters really working them hard. If they're as rugged as the old Vaqueros it will be a winner.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    What’s junk about the new Rugers? From the review videos I’ve seen on them, the fit and finish looks very good and the action seems to be nice and slick. Also, it seems that the Ruger was designed to allow unloading via the loading gate, which is pretty cool to me.
    My LGS has several recent ones and I see some very inconsistent quality. They have two Lipseys 5" blue GP100s. One is great, with tight lockup and good wood, the other is sloppy and has grips that won't get tight. I have the good one set aside for me.

I've also noticed that none of the wood grips fit all that well any more, which is actually surprising to me as I would expect in this CNC world they would be better than ever. Maybe not like the hand-fitted grips of yesteryear, but all pretty tight and consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    Has anyone here held the new 336 classic or are online dealers just auctioning guns they don't really have yet? I don't expect them to be much different then the 1895s ruger has already made and the price seems high but I guess that's the new normal.
    I have seen and handled a new 336 and it was as smooth as I've seen on a new gun. The fit and finish was very good. If I did'nt already have a Glenfield 30A I would be sorely tempted but I am waiting for a 35 cal. At the same time, I got to look over a new Rossi that had a remarkable resemblance to a 336 and it was as good as the Marlin except for the polishing of the metal finish, but impressive for the $.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    The Marlin site says 1:20". I am hoping that is true!

Another good question is what the groove diameter is! Has anyone slugged one to see if the .44 is "normal" .44 groove diameter or the oversize SAAMI spec for rifles? Mine like boolits of at least 0.433".

The pics of the gun on the website look very nice! I have a 1980's vintage 1894 that has plain... make that ugly, wood and the fit and finish is poor with gaps around tangs. I am sure that Ruger used the nicer looking guns for the adds but if they are even remotely close to what we will be buying they will be nicer than mine!

Longbow
    I picked up my Ruger Marlin 1894 in .44 mag for $1060 out the door. Haven't shot it yet. I slugged the barrel and it measured .430. I'm replacing the safety with with the Beartooth Mercantile saddle ring and taking the recoil pad off and replacing with a factory hard plastic buttplate. Seems like a really nice levergun. Now if they would just make a Marlin 39A mountie. They would get more of my money. The gun store also had a .357 mag version right beside it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometek View Post
    I picked up my Ruger Marlin 1894 in .44 mag for $1060 out the door. Haven't shot it yet. I slugged the barrel and it measured .430. I'm replacing the safety with with the Beartooth Mercantile saddle ring and taking the recoil pad off and replacing with a factory hard plastic buttplate. Seems like a really nice levergun. Now if they would just make a Marlin 39A mountie. They would get more of my money. The gun store also had a .357 mag version right beside it.
    Sweet! One of these might be in my future.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hometek View Post
    Now if they would just make a Marlin 39A mountie. They would get more of my money. The gun store also had a .357 mag version right beside it.
    I wish! I’d bet that would be a $2,500.00 rifle. But, I still hope they do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckJaxFL View Post
    I wish! I’d bet that would be a $2,500.00 rifle. But, I still hope they do it.
    Man the thought of a 39A just made my checkbook flinch……

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Mold
    Handling coal of 1.620” would have been a nice ask.

If Ruglin brings back the 336 Texan I will sell a kidney to get one. My favorite hunting rifle of all time hands down. Took a giant buck with my 1976 edition that is on my living room wall.

Boolit Master
    I saw a new one today at a new gun shop not too far away. 1894 in 44 mag. very nice, action smooth and slick. blue was nice on whole gun and walnut was nice also great fit and finish with $1000 price tag. seems every bit as good as old jm marlins

Boolit Buddy
    I agree, these are the best Marlins ever produced. I bought a new 1894 in .357 and took it home for a good look and try out. Went back the next day and bought another one.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

I just got a 44 mag. this morning. Academy had one in stock for $999. 1/20" twist, conventional rifling, and it slugged out at .4296". I won't be able to shoot it for a couple of days, but it will feed a Magnum case with a 429421 crimped in the crimp groove. It also feeds a WC round at 1.542" OAL. Wood to metal fit is great and I like how they relieved the wood just a tiny bit behind the top tang to prevent cracks due to recoil. The action is/was a bit stiff, but I took it apart, cleaned it, and lubed it properly and it is a lot better. The wood is better than any I ever saw on an older Marlin. The forearm is slimmer than the old Marlin .44 and the gun just seems to handle a bit more "livelier" ) for lack of a better term) than the older .44s. If this shoots as good as it looks I'm in love!

I might add, that if this .44 shoots well, I may just sell my older 336s in 30/30 and .35 to someone who likes the "JM" mark and replace them with "Ruglins".

Boolit Buddy
    What is the twist rate? I don’t understand why most rifle makers give their carbines much slower rifling twist than .44 mag revolvers. I hope Ruger has corrected this in the new Marlins. I have one of the early Remlins but thankfully it is well made and shoots great. Interested to see how these newest ones are finished and shoot.

Boolit Bub
    Ruglin, I like that. The new Ruger produced Marlins are a sight better than the Remlins, but I like my Marlins with a JM stamp and no crossbolt safety.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast