Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bullet-holding push thru stem

Boolit Master

Bullet-holding push thru stem

Pretty self-explanatory by looking at it. The retracting sleeve holds the little 223 bullets on the stem, so you don't have to.

If you're wondering why I would bother doing this, I'm happy for you. I get an awful pain in my hand while holding these little pills on the end of the push thru stem. Larger bullets are no problem to me; just the 223.

My boolits take a ride as they get sized, zipping down the Bullet Luge TM. The folded over tab tips the bullets over as they exit the sizing die.

These are the parts. 7/32 steel rod (218), 9/16" steel disc to fit to the slot in the ram. 1/4" and 9/32" brass tubing. Springs. I tapped the very tip of the steel rod with a 1/4" die, to raise a bur. That's all that keeps the brass tube from slipping all the way off the end. The bur needed quite a bit of stoning to fit through the 2245 sizing die. It's enlightening to see how much of the threads are formed by the bur, when using dies/taps. I think it must be >90% bur what holds a screw in!

That's a pretty good idea. You got talent!

Funny how 'necessity' is the 'Mother of Invention' ain't it?
    Back in the day, when I used to size with a Lee setup & stand them on the post...I put a spring over the push post that stood around 1/4" to 3.8" taller and dropped the cast inside the spring and that held them so I could avoid the cramps...

That worked well...just had to add a proper diameter & length spring with each sizing kit.
    Also had to have good quality bases on the cast so they'd stand.

Either way, this sizing business can get monotonous! So...I built me an upside down sizer, still use the Lee size dies too.

MONOTONOUS DUTY _ WANNA RACE?

I like what you have invented but sizing is not one of my favorite jobs so being inventive like you I got obsessed with finding a 'better way'.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I like your bullet luge. Today, I told myself to keep an eye on the stacking bullets. Sure enough, they eventually pushed the top off of the container and bullets spilled on the floor. The spring idea is also genius!

Boolit Master
    NOOO!!!

(I don't want to race!)

That's pretty fast, but I'd put my money on Jmorris. I bet he flips a switch and sizes thousands of bullets while eating breakfast. Of course those would be the bullets he made the previous day while watching the game!

Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post
    NOOO!!!

(I don't want to race!)

That's pretty fast, but I'd put my money on Jmorris. I bet he flips a switch and sizes thousands of bullets while eating breakfast. Of course those would be the bullets he made the previous day while watching the game!

HAHAAA!

I agree...there ain't a single project around this joint that... Jmorris can't do better! ...

But...for us 'Single Strokers' we still Get'em done!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    I solved the balancing a boolit problem a different way, I mounted the little Lyman Accupress on a board which I clamp to the bench upside down. A piece of clear vinyl tubing goes over the die (3/4" IIRC) and guides them down to a coffee can on the floor.

All I have to do is drop a boolit reasonably straight into the die and run the handle, gravity takes care of the rest.

Just proves the old saying: There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Very innovative. Great idea.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!