Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Homemade heater

Boolit Buddy

Homemade heater

Have been doing some reading and I do believe I'll kill two......well you know.

I think I'll buy a Kats magnetic heater and use it on the Lyman 450. I also have an old Ford tractor, so I 'll use the Kats on it as well. I'll use a plate, probably aluminum, on the Lyman.

One question- Is the Carnuba Red better than the BAC, for handguns or just less sticky? I'm having trouble getting these two lubes nailed down as to what they will or won't do. I'll store my boolits in a cool basement till I'm ready to load. I want the lube that will help deliver the best accuracy and the least smoke.

I bolted one of my three 450's to a 3/8" steel plate with enough sticking out the back to stick a Kats magnetic heater to. It works well, but without a thermostat, ya gotta unplug the thing once in awhile and let the lube cool off some, cuz it gets things TOO hot.

hmmmmm just a thought but what about a reostat in there some place to cut the heat down a bit? don't know if it would work or not but it's a thought. steve k

Boolit Buddy
    I figured it'd get too hot and I'd have to unplug it, but being that it will be used on the tractor as well, I'll have to put up with unplugging it. No big Deal.........

Boolit Master

If you just pick up a clothes iron at a garage sale you have the perfect heater. Just set it on your metal plate and adjust the iron thermostat to the desired heat.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I used BAC for everything, no heater needed!

In Remembrance

You'll have trouble getting the magnet to stick to the aluminum. Seriously though, a dimmer switch could be wired with a receptacle to plug the heater into to control the heat for the luber, then used without it to heat the tractor.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dale clawson View Post
    You'll have trouble getting the magnet to stick to the aluminum. Seriously though, a dimmer switch could be wired with a receptacle to plug the heater into to control the heat for the luber, then used without it to heat the tractor.
    I'm going to check into the dimmer switch. The Kats is either 200 or 300 watt, so I'd match the dimmer to the wattage. Naturally, They get hot if you put too much of a load on it.
    If it wasn't for using it on the tractor too, I'd just buy a used clothes iron.

Boolit Master
    I use a desk lamp with a 100 watt bulb in it. Just lay it down close to the sizer shining on it and it will heat it up enough to work.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master

I've never used BAC but I have used Carnuba Red on all my bullets and it hasn't failed me yet.
    Aim small, miss small!

I 2nd the aluminum plate and the clothes Iron.

The combo works great!

I have marked the iron at the various heat settings for almost all on my lubes...and the iron only cost $9.99 at walgreens...cant beat that! and enough wattage to get it up to heat and a heat controller to boot

JR
    Member Migigan Gun Owners www.MiGunowners.org
    NRA member NRA R/O
    IDPA member
    IDPA Safety Officer
    Member Linden Sportsmens Club Linden,MI
    Member Detroit Sportsmans Congress Utica,MI

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    I've never used BAC but I have used Carnuba Red on all my bullets and it hasn't failed me yet.
    Have you used the RED in the .38 Special with a 158 gr and a max load? If so, how did it work? I'm told that the RED may not work well with the velocities of the 158 gr. in the 38.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    I use a desk lamp with a 100 watt bulb in it. Just lay it down close to the sizer shining on it and it will heat it up enough to work.
    Save energy! I drilled a hole i the table and mounted a 25 watt (optional 40w) small bulb just below the sizer. Works perfect in combination with a dimmer.
    must pre-heat half an hour. If you want faster, use a hair-dryer.

Dirk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    I used BAC for everything, no heater needed!
    You need to hit the lubrisizer with a hair dryer or a heat gun when the basement is 45-50 degrees. I have been using BAC exclusively for a while now. If it aint broke and gives good results, why change.

Shiloh

Boolit Buddy
    I'm going out and shoot today. I've got both BAC & RED loaded up in three calibers. I'll find out which is better suited to my loads.