WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom pour vs ladle

Bottom pour vs ladle

For you guys who've been able to hang out around or chat with competition cast shooters, is it more common for them to ladle pour or use a bottom pour pot ? Been following some guys on Facebook and they all seem to ladle pour. Just curious
    Thanks
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    I shoot handgun silhouette competition and I bottom pour only. This is for 7mm 150 grain bullets. I believe that shooters casting heavy, large caliber bullets do prefer a ladle.

Boolit Grand Master

NRA Bullseye handgun shooter tend to bottom pour. BPCR it's a mix but most believe ladle is better for 600 and 1,000 yard bullets.

Personally 98% of mine are bottom pour with ladle used only for long range BPCR rifle.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-15-2023 at 07:11 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Go to the Cast Bullet Assn website. Look at the match results. They list each competitor's information, including load details and ladle or bottom pour, sizing, alloy, heat treat, etc, etc.

https://castbulletassoc.org/match-results

Select bench rest and then year. You'll get a list of competitions by club.

I use a bottom pour, but, I am not a competitor.

I find that the bottom pour gives me a cleaner boolit. I like to use a light cover of wood ash on my pot. But because I like to cast in the winter here in Mi I use a big pot. It holds about 40/50 lbs of lead so a nice ash cover keeps it all in the melt. Using a bottom pour keep the ash in the pot where it belongs.

"That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government."
    Lyn Nofziger

Boolit Master
    Man, I don't think I've used a ladle since the 2000s. But even back then it was usually for larger heavier boolits. I have a good friend who does do some long range blackpowder shooting, and for some larger boolits I believe he still ladle poors to get a better fillout. Having said that, I moved away from the ladle as a matter of keeping a cleaner workspace that moves a little faster.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

I have found that ladle pouring is a practice for an octopus. Since I only have two arms, I use a bottom pour pot.

(Not really sure how a mold is supposed to know or care what source gravity is filling it from anyway)
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    i ladle pour. i get perfect fillout. my bullets weight +- 1 tenth of a grain. out of a modern well made 2 cavity
    mold. and after mold is hot all are perfect,no throw backs. i used to bottom pour long ago; but no more bottom pour.

Boolit Master
    I use bottom pour only. Depending on temperature of pot, gives me different weights of bullets, I pour only pure lead, 500+ gr, I weigh all bullets before sizing and lubing and segregate by .01 grain, all bullets are shot with others of the same weight only. For competition or practice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I have found that ladle pouring is a practice for an octopus. Since I only have two arms, I use a bottom pour pot.

(Not really sure how a mold is supposed to know or care what source gravity is filling it from anyway)
    By seating the spout into the sprue hole and turning upright you can effectively ’pressure cast’ larger molds that have a hard time properly filling out with alloys that are light on tin. Instead of a stream of molten lead being pored into the mold you have the weight of the lead in the ladle forcing the lead down into the nooks and crannies of the mold. It absolutely is very much more effective than bottom pouring. Bottom pouring’s benefits just outweighs ladle pouring in most cases.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master

Ladle pour for me as it gives me more control over the filling of the sprue. I also cast bullets over 400 grains and multi-cavity molds.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Seems to me that you can pressure cast with both the ladle and the bottom pour pot. The difference is that the ladle holds a limited amount of alloy and must be refilled from time to time. The bottom pour needs filling when about half empty. The advantage of the ladle is that you can open up the nozzle easily and get a complete and rapid fill of a mold cavity. Doing that with the bottom pour pot can result in problems with the valve seat and make excessive dripping a problem.

For multiple cavity molds, the Rowell ladle is quite a handy tool, but it does not allow for pressure casting without major modification.

The majority of my casting is with the bottom pour pot, with an interrupted filling sequence. If one opens the valve and then moves the multiple cavity mold under the flowing stream the flow can bridge over the opening and end up producing rounded bases. Whichever method you choose, practice and proficiency does improve the product.

Boolit Master
    I could never get the bottom pour to work for me. Drilled and tapped the bottom pour spout and only ladle cast now. Frank

Moderator Emeritus

I find ladle casting gives me the lowest variance between bullets. I will tilt the mold slightly and empty the ladle over it letting it run back into the pot on the few molds I have with venting issues. That has eliminated any problems in that area.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

My competitions are all speed games. I only know of 2 others that cast their own. They use bottom pour pots. Most buy plated bullets. Commercial cast is less popular. They don’t like smoke.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    With ladle casting, you can rotate the mold 90 degrees and slosh the lead around - makes sense you would get better fill out. Aggressive sloshing might give more porosity. If you have perfect surface fill out from bottom pour and ladle cast - would one typically have less porosity?

I used both till my bottom pour died on me for the use, I do ladle cast and I see I can get the same speed as the bottom. I use the ladle I use for smelting . Yes it is clean and I can push them out fast , better for a 6 cavity mold also. Dose not take long to fill it . It works for me. One of these days I will get another bottom pour to replace the one that died on me, due to worn out. Did replace the heating elements more then once .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

I cast long heavy for caliber bullets, 38 calibers at 350 grns, 40 calibers at 420 grns and 45 cal at 500-550 grns. All my moulds have the sprue plates vented.
    I ladle cast not pouring for a sprue but slowly pouring the whole ladle into the hole letting the excess run back into the pot. This helps with fill out and off gassing of the mould. I use a modified lyman ladle that has the spout opened up to .205 dia. When filling the ladle it is pushed to the bottom of the pot and 1 "Swirl" around the bottom of the pot. The ladle stays in the pot when not filling the mould

Boolit Grand Master

Bottom pour (Lyman Mag20) for cast bullets up through 300 gr. Ladle pour for the larger bullets. Key is, with the alloy at the right temp, to use the spout adjustment to get the alloy into the cavity as quick as possible and to leave a good sprue. I like to see the alloy roil back up out of the sprue plate hole a bit to form the sprue. With the ladle (Lyman with the pour hole enlarged) I have used the technique shown in #3 CBH with complete success since the late '60s.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I float a thin layer of new kitty litter (diatomaceous earth) on top of my alloy. This keeps air from oxidizing the alloy and also helps keep temperature of the alloy more constant. Since impurities generally float to the top, I find I get boolits with less inclusions by using a bottom pour furnace. Mine is an RCBS Pro Melt, and I love it!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!