Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Grains to pounds? lead

Boolit Buddy

Wink Grains to pounds? lead

I need a math guru to help me out here. Now that I have a small stock pile of lead muffins ready to make bullets, I need to know how many boolits I am going to be able to make.

I smelted out 143 pounds of range scrap last weekend and 38 pounds of WW the other night. Saturday night I cast approximately 600 boolits using only the range scrap. My Lee mold makes my boolits 230 grain each. How many boolits can I expect to get out of my range scrap.

(Theme song to Jeopardy)

There are 7,000 grains in a pound. So Lbs of alloy * 7,000 / boolit weight= # of boolits per pound. You get about 30 or so 230gr boolits per pound IIRC.
    Μολών Λaβέ!

"Since you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of
    freedom - I'll go from you in peace...Enjoy licking the hands that feed you. May your chains sit lightly
    upon you, and may posterity forget that I was your countryman." - Samuel Adams

This is highly technical. Based on the average size of a grain of wheat, it was determined that there are about 7000 grains in a pound, so that's the figure used. You are casting 230 grain bullets thus you get 30.435 bullets per pound. You have 143 pounds of range scrap. 143X7000=1,001,000 grains divided by 230 (per bullet)=4352.174 -the 600 you already cast=3752.174 and that is not considering the 38 pounds of ww which will make 1156.522 bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    This is highly technical. Based on the average size of a grain of wheat, it was determined that there are about 7000 grains in a pound, so that's the figure used. You are casting 230 grain bullets thus you get 30.435 bullets per pound. You have 143 pounds of range scrap. 143X7000=1,001,000 grains divided by 230 (per bullet)=4352.174 -the 600 you already cast=3752.174 and that is not considering the 38 pounds of ww which will make 1156.522 bullets.

smarty pants

Is this your final answer?

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Based on the average size of a grain of wheat, it was determined that there are about 7000 grains in a pound, so that's the figure used.
    It's always interesting to see how some of our Weights and Measures were originally determined! (LOL)

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Master

Weight

IF you don't spill any!!!!! HEHE
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by supv26 View Post
    Is this your final answer?
    Carpetman,
    Before you answer that, I think you should phone a friend...
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Thanks Charlie--I would phone a friend--but they all have me on ignore--both of em.. Maybe I better just poll the audience.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Talking

This is highly technical. Based on the average size of a grain of wheat, it was determined that there are about 7000 grains in a pound...........
    or 3.01 Bushels of Bullets.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    I disagree with the answer above. He rounded up. 3752.1739.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master

What weigts more? A pound of lead or a pound of Cliff Clavens bains?
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Bub
    Obviously Cliff Clavens Brains. That is the most dense material known to man.

SUPV26,

PM me if you'd be interested in a spreadsheet I worked up that makes this calculation. Plug in how much lead you have, how much you paid for it and the weight of boolit you're casting, and it will tell you how many boolits you should get and the cost per boolit.

I'd be happy to email it to you.

Dwarf

Boolit Man

convert.exe

Do a search for a free utility called Convert.exe.

It will convert speed, mass, time, and 18 others.

I keep it handy.