WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Anyone have any experience with cast in a 6 PPC

Boolit Buddy

Anyone have any experience with cast in a 6 PPC

As the title says, looking for any information from folks who have shot cast bullets from a 6 PPC. I just picked up a NOE mold 6 mm 75 grain FPGC. I found some information for 243 and 6mm/244 Rem loads but those cases are larger. Any info is appreciated.

Boolit Master
    No, but, I have been thinking about cast in my 6BR.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    No, but, I have been thinking about cast in my 6BR.
    I selected the flat nose because I kept thinking the shorter it is the easier to stabilize. The PPC barrel is slow 1 x 14 I think so the shorter the bullet, the better. Also of course a suggested starting powder charge would be helpful as well. My goal is to try rounds in the 1700-1800 fps range as that has produced some good groups in other rifles at that velocity. The rifle is a tack driver and I am curious what kind of groups I could get.

Not a PPC but I have shot a lot of those bullets through a 6x47 (the old one) 700XBBR with a 1:14 twist. They work quite well and can be driven to practically full speed with good accuracy. In the PPC I would try something like IMR3031 for good performance.

Boolit Master
    The longer twist might work to your advantage since cast bullets are shorter than similar weight jacketed. My 6BR is 1:8 so I may still hit a velocity limit. My primary use would be out to 300yd. I have 'good' bullets for 600 and 1000yd.

Been messing with gc lubed cast in my 1896 Swede but that’s apples and orangeade. Not pushing them. But seriously you would need gc pc boolits to get the velocity you’re looking for I’m thinking.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Not a PPC but I have shot a lot of those bullets through a 6x47 (the old one) 700XBBR with a 1:14 twist. They work quite well and can be driven to practically full speed with good accuracy. In the PPC I would try something like IMR3031 for good performance.
    This is very helpful. The 6x47 is almost the same case capacity as the 6PPC. I have 3031 on hand and the Hornady manual for a 75 gn jacketed bullet is showing a starting load of 20.8 for the PPC and 20.9 starting load for the 6X47. Thank you very much for the reply.