Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Boolit choice for Savage 10ML-II

Boolit Buddy

Boolit choice for Savage 10ML-II

Hi all, I'm looking at the Lee C452-300-Rf for use in said rifle. I shot a nice doe yesterday with the gun but used a Hornady 250g XTP (very destructive) and since the Lee boolit is a gas check design, it won't be needed anyway because of a sabot. But wondering how accuracy would be with that wide FP at 2000+ fps velocities...
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Master

There's only one way to tell...................
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I recommend a HARD smooth sided cast boolitz for use in smokeless MLs. I have three smooth sided molds that were made/modified for use in sabots, I originally made my first smooth sided mold from and old 45 cal Maxi Ball mold. I ground my own cutter to use in my lathe to make a mold that dropped as a clone of the Hornady 452 XTP but in alloy. Next was a conversation with Verel of LBT, and a 2 cavity LBT, 452-320 LFN, that drops the same boolitz that Harvestor sells as Hard cast was in my possesion. Verel made the Molds for Harvestor. I also have a 4 cavity by BRP 452-300 FN that I had BRP remove the beveled base from so it now drops 288 gr bollits. I found with a beveled base I was blowing sabots so I sent BRP the mold and he removed .030 from the top of the blocks eliminating the bevel. It is my Favorite now in my rifles. Many friends and family members shoot the LBTs.

There are 5, 10ML-II in my Family and many other rifles built around the 700ML actions and One of my rifles is built on a #5 Rolling Block. They all shoot my smooth sided water dropped boolitz. We Primarly use Harvestor short black sabots for all Smokeless shooting. Graf and sons, sells them in case lots. I keep an unopened case on hand.

I have found that a SOFT smooth sided boolit will obturate upon the firing pin hitting the primer to the point that it distorts the pedels of the sabot and accuracy is lost. yes I have recovered and looked at hundreds of fired sabots.

With my hard cast we load to a velocity of 1700 or so FPS, Above that and there is more meat loss.

Verel told me that anything over 1500 FPS was a waist with his smooth sided projectiles and I completely agree! His Boolit HC will go lenght wise of a white tail deer.

Good luck, aim small and Hit small.

Ken

PS: don't be surprised when you get sabot failer without a GC on the lee thingy and once again IMHO you wont need the recoil associated with 2000 fps. That 452-300 will fly like it has wings so go out and shoot it and pick up your sabots to see what is happening.

Your mileage may very !
    Last edited by Screwbolts; 01-08-2023 at 10:37 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Buddy
    Screwbolts, I happen to have some Harvester hard cast, 330g I think. I bought them a few years ago and shot from my Traditions vortek but didn't get satisfactory accuracy, so they went into a drawer. And your right, I don't need high velocity with them, what was I thinking...I'm going to try some reduced power loads for the ML10-2 If those 330's work out there's no cense in buying a mold.
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Grand Master

Not related to the bullet itself but I have found the sabots do not like a warm barrel. For hunting it doesn't make a difference but load development it does.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer