9 2.83%
  • I had a mentor.

70 22.01%
  • Other (please tell us below).

34 10.69%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How did you learn to reload?

Boolit Master

It was 1981 and following a short deployment, I dove head first and bought a Pacific reloading kit; Multi-C press, scale, powder measure, trimmer, and dies for all the calibers I intended on loading at the time, .30-06, .45 ACP, .35 Rem, .30-30, .38/357. I had picked up a copy of Dean Grennel's book, the ABC's of Reloading, before that exercise (afloat) and probably read that cover to cover 5 times in as many weeks. No mentor and of course no youtube in those days but reloading isn't rocket science so I figured it out and have been doing it ever since. That single stage press is still on my bench and that well worn book too....I think I'm a hoarder
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    My curiosity peaked from a post in the ABCs of Reloading thread. So… how did you learn starting out?

Read the book by Richard Lee and bought the Challenger starter kit.
    That was back in 1995.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

started in '78 with the Speer book and still have a lot to learn.

From YouTube and the internet. I don’t know anyone personally that reloads, much less anyone else that casts.
    I sbr’d a lower and a form 1 suppressor and decided to build a 300 blackout but it was too expensive to buy subsonic ammunition. As soon as I started researching the build, it lead me to watching tons of videos about reloading and casting for that round.
    Since, I’ve only expanded to 9mm and 223. I shoot them the most. I cast 9mm, but buy all the 223 projectiles. I’d like to get into 308, but since I only have one bolt action 308, I can’t find a good reason to make the leap.

Vendor Sponsor

1977 started with a wack a mole 30-06 lee handloader and rubber mallet sitting on the porch steps of a duplex in the swamps of eastern NC.
    couple years later graduated to a house in Charlotte NC and a full RCBS Rockchucker set.
    Still use the Rockchucker set to this day for the vast majority of my reloading.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Ah, forgot, not rare these days, started casting on the kitchen gas stove with a cast iron deep side frying pan, a pour dipper, wheel weights and a Lyman mould, that I found for fee, used. Did a make do pan lube and a cut off 7.7 case wrapped with speed tape to get a grip. That was 62, shot the bullets as cast, no sizing. Not real accurate mostly went bang, but was a start. Graduated to casting the 505 Mini in pure lead for a 58 Zuave, shot that for many years. Met a regular competitor in the Ned Roberts Shoots, learned a lot from him about BP shooting.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I started reloading .38 Specials in 1966 with a Lee Loader and a plastic mallet. I had a can of 5066 that lasted a long time. I was enticed into it by a clerk in a sporting goods store (Western Sports, San Rafael, CA) who told me I'd save a lot of money by loading my own ammo. Of course, as the years rolled by, one thing led to another and it turned into a monster and obsession. I've got 3 single stage presses and one Lee Turret Press. A whole tool box full of 310 tools and dies, and another full of molds. I think the clerk might have lied.....

DG

Boolit Buddy
    I had a mentor when I first got into reloading in 1976, he was a good friend of mine. I started buying reloading equipment, press, powder, dies, primers a lot of books, reloading kits tumbler. I made sure I had a set of die’s for every gun, had as well as the hunters that hunted with me. Started making the loads best for accuracy for the gun that was being shot. By then I went into the Army and when I got out I was reloading even more. After awhile i fell in love with it and build a room for it. I continue to buy books and reloading equipment. Now I think that never stops love it.
    Last edited by Dekota56; 05-12-2023 at 10:06 PM.
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

In 1977 I was living in Missouri and bought a Texan single stage press kit that came with a powder scale, and a 30.06 die set. I bought a Hornady reloading manual and the rest is history.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Grand Master
    I learned how to cast from my neighbor in 1966, but I had to learn to reload on my own in the 1970-1971 era. IIRC, my LGS sold me a Lee whack-a-mole, a tray of primers , a box of Speer 170 grain and a pound of powder--I think 4895-- in a paper bag, all for about 3 bucks shy of a 20 dollar bill. With factory 30-30s running at about $4.25 a box, I was saving money from the first.
    In fact, I have thousands of dollars in savings..Now. My gun room is littered with them.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    CAUTIOUS / PARANOID GONRA read book(s), bought Best Available Equipment, made ammo, blasted away, etc.

Boolit Mold
    Ran into a fellow at a gun show in paducah kentucky. i had a old black powder rifle he wanted it bad. we got to talking he said that he would trade me some reloading equipment for that old harpers ferry rifle. That is how i met turner kirkland. he showed me how to reload. He was my best friend for many years.

Boolit Master
    Overly CAUTIOUS / PARANOID GONRA read book(s), bought Best Available Equipment, made ammo, blasted away, etc.
    It all verked out......

I voted mentor; while mostly learned through reading manuals and experience, it was a good friend who loaned me equipment, and walked me through the process of loading a small quantity of 308 ammo, from start to finish. It was 3-5 years before my next reloading session (with my own setup), but that initial introduction was crucial and I actually retained all the information.

Boolit Master
    I had a sudden NEED to own a gun at 9 years old that has never let up. Got a BB gun that year but wanted to know all things gun related so begged my parents into a subscription to Guns & Ammo magazine later at age 14. I remember the 1st issue was November 1974 and I soaked it up like a dry sponge soaks up water. It was natural to start learning about loading ammo of course. So I got a MEC shotshell loader at age 16. Didn't have a manual or anything but the instructions that came with it. My Father - who wasn't much of a shooter - but who did have good understanding of mechanisms explained to me how the powder dropper worked on the loader and I began happily making shotshells in my bedroom from then on. A couple years later at about 18 I got a RCBS Rock Chucker and started loading 30-30, 44 Magnum and 22-250. Had a good friend in High School who had cast some bullets for his Remington cap-n-ball revolver, so I went to his house one night and cast my 1st bullets. We ended up rooming together in college and started casting bullets to sell to a local shooting range so got lots of practice in casting there.

I'm 62 now and have never owned a Loading Manual. I had such enthusiasm for gun knowledge that I gleaned all the techniques needed to produce good and safe ammo from gun magazines because that's about all I ever thought about in those days. Of course, I only use loads from safe sources such as the bullet and powder manufacturers or LoadData.com website (Handloader Magazine data).

Boolit Master
    Learned early on not to let friends who may or may not be mentally compromised to load for me .........fortunately the cost was only one M17 extractor and ring.

Banned

dad was a hunter but shot seldom. one of his friends who was into guns gave me a lyman manual and a 38 spec lee loader when i was 14. that same year for Christmas the parents gave me a lyman C press and a scale. that winter i bought me a brand new single cav lyman wad cutter mold and like they say the rest is history. i can remember my dad shaking his head when at 16 adults would stop by for pointers. i found my baby book in ma's stuff when she died and in when i was a year and a half old she wrote that the only toys a would play with were cars trucks and guns and at 65 it isnt much different still love my guns jeep, ram and challenger but you can add boats, snowmobiles and harleys. so we can change it to guns and cool stuff with a motor
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 05-15-2023 at 06:44 AM.

Like so many others, I learned by sitting in the "reloading room" while my Dad went through the steps. These were literally hundreds of hours spent sitting on a stool watching the progression of the loads while listening to my Dad explain all of the important stuff that a son needs to hear from a dad. Funny, because we could discuss anything while loading in the Reloading Room, but no sound could be made when the Fly Tying equipment was attached to the bench. I learned to use Dad's reloading tools, and his swaging stuff, and then inherited my Grandfathers equipment. When I eclipsed my dad he passed his stuff to me as well. I now will hopefully pass the tools and info to my son and son in law as they gain interest.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Master

In 1971 at 14 years old I was able to talk my parents into letting me load 20 gauge shotgun . I had been exposed to it by a friend and his father . I bought a Mec 650 press I still use much of my knowledge was from a local gun shop owner he sold me the books he said would teach me and give me useful loads . The next year I expanded to 30-30 and a RCBS Jr. press and am still expanding .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Self taught...no mentor or friend to help or teach.
    Just a few reloading manuals and directions from RCBS die sets.
    Same here. My parents got me a RCBS Rockchucker kit when I was 16. Now I reload 14 rifle calibers and 7 pistol. Two shotgun gauges and .410 as well.

Probably time to admit I have a problem. It's a storage problem, of course!

John

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast