Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's so great about a Lyman 55 measure?

Boolit Master
    I have but one, a No. 5 Ideal. It's my 'go to' for small to medium charges of flake powder, for sure! And usable/used for other powders, too, even though my day-to-day work horse is an RCBS Uniflow.

btw, operation of the slides is not a big deal.
    Last edited by sundog; 01-10-2023 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added additional comment
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master

They just keep on working.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Had one but like the rcbs measures much better. The micrometer adjustment screw is great for load development. I have used Dillon 450 measures on my Lyman turret presses but have upgraded to 550 measures for pistol ammo. Very consistent throws.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I got a little Iver Johnson .32 top break a few years ago and wanted to load for it, had all the stuff. Inquired on here and everybody told me I'd need to make a dipper for charges that small, but I figured I'd try first. Just FYI, a Lyman 55 will throw a 1.1 charge of Bullseye dead on accurate all day long.

It's the best all around powder measure out there, as far as I'm concerned. Seems some are too dense to figure one out and that's OK, I suppose scoops are for guys like that.
    Why in the world would anyone be considered dense for questioning why a Lyman 55 needs 4 knobs, one which looks just like the rest, but releases the barrel creating a huge problem, two for adjustment, and a clacker to top it all off? All of that for a powder measure that is basically useless for half of the rifle powders out there, and it isn't even as accurate as something like a RCBS or Lee. Sure, maybe it is good enough for bullseye powder, what isn't? Put some Unique in there, then compare to any other powder measure out there.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    How often do you see someone asking about the Lyman 55 not doing what it is designed to do?
    Leaking powder, cutting powder grains, not setting right?
    They do what they do charge after charge, and have been doing it for many years.
    All the time. They leak like a sieve, the settings mean nothing, and there is no worse powder measure out there for cutting grains, not even close.

Boolit Buddy
    I use it or a RCBS Uni-flow. The Lyman 55 is a work horse and does not vary. It's easy to set up, doesn't wander or drift....what's not to love about it.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    All of that for a powder measure that is basically useless for half of the rifle powders out there, and it isn't even as accurate as something like a RCBS or Lee.
    If you're taking a measure that can dispense 150 grains, and using it for 4 grains while expecting a tenth of a grain consistency, you're using the wrong tool.

All volumetric measures can dispense consistent weights of ball powder. So could a measuring spoon.

When dispensing larger quantities of extruded powder, the charges will never be thrown identical from any volumetric measure, which is what powder tricklers are for.

You drop one grain under and trickle up. That silly knocker on the side - it settles the extruded powder in the barrel, which helps to drop 100 grains repeatedly to within 1 grain.

There are measures designed to dispense small powder charges. The reason why the Little Dandy, Uniflow and Hornady have a small pistol rotor in them. Why Lee has an Autodisk. To dispense small charges.

You will have exactly the same problems when you try to dispense small powder charges from a Hornady rifle rotor.

When dispensing larger quantities of extruded powder, not many measures drop over 100 grains.

If you're using a Lyman 55 for pistol powders, you're using a semi to move the mower from your garage to the lawn.

What I like most about my old 55 is the cast iron body and the brass rotor.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The little piece that funnels the powder to the center is a good addition.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    If you're taking a measure that can dispense 150 grains, and using it for 4 grains while expecting a tenth of a grain consistency, you're using the wrong tool.

All volumetric measures can dispense consistent weights of ball powder. So could a measuring spoon.

When dispensing larger quantities of extruded powder, the charges will never be thrown identical from any volumetric measure, which is what powder tricklers are for.

You drop one grain under and trickle up. That silly knocker on the side - it settles the extruded powder in the barrel, which helps to drop 100 grains repeatedly to within 1 grain.

There are measures designed to dispense small powder charges. The reason why the Little Dandy, Uniflow and Hornady have a small pistol rotor in them. Why Lee has an Autodisk. To dispense small charges.

You will have exactly the same problems when you try to dispense small powder charges from a Hornady rifle rotor.

When dispensing larger quantities of extruded powder, not many measures drop over 100 grains.

If you're using a Lyman 55 for pistol powders, you're using a semi to move the mower from your garage to the lawn.

What I like most about my old 55 is the cast iron body and the brass rotor.
    That's bizarre considering the Lyman 55 is horrible with stick powders, easily the worst powder measure there is. Lyman 55 is just a crunch box.

Boolit Master

I've used one since the early 1960's. Loaded 1.1gr of Bullseye for .32S&W up to 100+grs of IMR powder for .416 Rigby. Granted it feeds flake and ball powder more accurately then stick powder, but I throw light charges and finish with a trickler for rifle cases anyway.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple of them and they kinda work, although my Redding and Harrels have them beat hands down.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Char-gar the weight you have on your powder measure what is the weight made of. Did you make it . And can you post more pictures please.I’m very interested in this.Thanks Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Nobody in this thread has given a single example of what the Lyman 55 does better than any other powder measure.

Boolit Master
    The 55 is better than some, but no worse.
    It has dispensed all my powders, pistol and rifle with repetitious accuracy.
    The naysayers are just being contrary because they can.
    I also have Lee, Hornady and RCBS as well as scoops both homemade and store bought.
    The 55 always works and will deliver 1.1 grs of bullseye for my vintage 32s as well.
    I pass on the digital.A bad experience with Lyman and RCBS digital left me in mistrust .
    I stay mechanical and verify.

Nobody in this thread has given a single example of what the Lyman 55 does better than any other powder measure.
    It exudes class and an aura of a more civilised era much better than any other powder measure.

Boolit Mold
    The best thing about powder measures is the choices we have. Which cartridge is best? Favorite music? Perhaps Ford vs Chevy. Questions like this are a good thing cause they get us thinking. Years ago I aquired one in a auction lot, but sold the bits on ebay without ever using it. This thread makes me want another.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter bob View Post
    Char-gar the weight you have on your powder measure what is the weight made of. Did you make it . And can you post more pictures please.I’m very interested in this.Thanks Bob
    The parts inside the hopper are aluminum and brass. The top weight is steel. There is a guy on Ebay that makes and sells these. I have one for the Lyman 55 and another for the RCBS Little Dandy. Just search "powder measure weight".
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

You seem to be on a mission to trash the Lyman 55. By now, we get it that you don't like them.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    How often do you see someone asking about the Lyman 55 not doing what it is designed to do?
    Leaking powder, cutting powder grains, not setting right?
    They do what they do charge after charge, and have been doing it for many years.
    EXACTLY!

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

It is better because it throws charges much more accurately than any other powder thrower I've used. I've been using 55s since '68. I also have used RCBS, Hornady, Midway, etc. throwers during that time and always end up going back to the 55s. I have 3 of them currently. With flake, ball and "short cut" extruded powders when using the knocker correctly there just isn't any other thrower that throws as accurately or as consistently as the 55. No, the 55 or any other thrower will throw very accurate charges of the longer extruded powders (old 4831, etc.) w/o crunching. The most accurate thrower for such long grain extruded powders is the inexpensive Lee Powder Thrower.

I've found the 55s to so consistent and accurate that I throw match and varmint charges of ball powders, H4895 and Varget with them along with other similar grain sized powders. Someday I may find another powder thrower to replace the 55s but I doubt I'll live that long.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast