Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Silver bullets?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Silver would be a poor choice for a cast bullet. It would be like having a pure tin bullet. The bullet would be too hard to obdurate and seal the rifling. The gas blow-by would cause pretty bad barrel leading, except that this "leading" would be harder to remove than actual lead. Aside from the problems of casting this metal in a traditional bullet mold, the metal would be expensive, and shooting it would be wasteful. I strongly believe that a stiffly loaded 44 magnum, with either heavy semi-wadcutters or hollowpoint bullets would be adequate to dispatch the average werewolf. For exceptionally large and fierce werewolves any of the standard dangerous game rifles should suffice. In any event, I'd recommend that your guide carry a DGR no matter what your personal weapon of choice is. Additionally, it is generally considered unsportsmanlike to shoot a werewolf while they're dressed in gentleman's attire.
    Silver is softer than copper, and copper solids seem to do just fine. Just like copper, crank them out on a lathe and I’d expect them to shoot pretty well at high pressures.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnho View Post
    7000 grains to a pound. 200 grain bullet would be .028 pounds or 0.45 ounces. That would be 0.41 troy ounces. Silver at $24.50 today would mean the bullet would cost $10.05. But it would be fun to display one. I'll keep my silver rounds as they are.
    Here you go. Not exactly a silver bullet and it’ll cost $50 - https://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-silver-bullet-new/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Here you go. Not exactly a silver bullet and it’ll cost $50 - https://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-silver-bullet-new/
    Too hard to get the powder in

Boolit Master

"the notion of the Lone Ranger shuffling off to his hidden silver mine in the desert and casting his bullets would be all make believe!" oley55

Isn't ore containing silver commonly found containing lead and vice versa. I believe there is one bullet Mfr who advertises this. That, to me, makes the "notion" much more believable. Also, a silver/lead boolet would probably be much softer than a pure silver boolet, maybe even shootable.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    Bug A Salt? that's GREAT!
    Last issue of Gun's Magazine ... who knew there was a air gun you loaded with Salt to kill bugs with ... I'm feeling the need for an ... A-Salt rifle !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    There is a soft (lower temperature) solder used in HVAC / refrigeration applications: Staybrite #8 that contains 6% silver. This can be obtained at any HVAC supply house. It is pricey, but it stays pretty. If I felt the need to make boolits with a silver content, I'd go this way. https://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/...ite8?sku=SB855

Moderator Emeritus

Someone used to sell silver bullets with about 0.001 % of silver in the alloy.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Last issue of Gun's Magazine ... who knew there was a air gun you loaded with Salt to kill bugs with ... I'm feeling the need for an ... A-Salt rifle !
    Gary
    I love mine!

There's a newer and more powerful model out now. It looks like my original one, but blasts out more air.
    If you use sea salt, it hits harder like larger shot gun shot does.

People are all worried, and wring their hands about putting salt 'so much' out there,
    but you get about 200 shots from less than a tablespoon of it.
    In 2 years--- So far, I haven't killed off the yard and all the plant life on our patio with it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Someone used to sell silver bullets with about 0.001 % of silver in the alloy.
    That was because the lead was a byproduct of silver mining!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I think you would need a lead silver alloy to be able to cast boolits with it. However, I have not see much research on exactly how much silver it takes to kill a werewolf.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    There is a soft (lower temperature) solder used in HVAC / refrigeration applications: Staybrite #8 that contains 6% silver. This can be obtained at any HVAC supply house. It is pricey, but it stays pretty. If I felt the need to make boolits with a silver content, I'd go this way. https://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/...ite8?sku=SB855
    As long as it stays shiny and silver looking.. this may be the answer, I’ll look into that for sure
    “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact”

You could cut up some silver and load it in a shotgun hull with a wad and use it like non lead shot , it would take care of what you like. Since make bullets a problem . It will cost alot to do it for the cost of silver .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    I got an add from these people today and found that they also sell silver shot! That makes werewolf shells so much easier to make. All shotgun shells and even many pistol rounds can shoot pellets! It only costs $265.70 per a 10 ounce jar but really, how many werewolves have you encountered? And that is 10 one ounce rounds. Just think how many .410 shells you could get! I mean, a few hundred bucks to be able to prevent your jugular vein from being ripped out and you getting the virus and turning into a werewolf yourself! I am buying a jug but it is currently out of stock. Must be a demand?

Boolit Grand Master

Silver like tin acts as a wetting agent improving flow and fill out.
    Silver due to the heat requires different fluxes than lead tin antimony does, and they get pretty nasty.

Silver rod could be turned in a lathe to make a bullet. But then aluminum could also be turned to the bullet and clear coated.

Lymans cast bullet hand book has a chart of metals to alloy with lead how much and its purpose, silver is listed.

I can remember old timers telling of adding a silver dime to a 20 lb pot of alloy. it accomplishes the same as tin at a lower ratio.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I love mine!

There's a newer and more powerful model out now. It looks like my original one, but blasts out more air.
    If you use sea salt, it hits harder like larger shot gun shot does.

People are all worried, and wring their hands about putting salt 'so much' out there,
    but you get about 200 shots from less than a tablespoon of it.
    In 2 years--- So far, I haven't killed off the yard and all the plant life on our patio with it.

That's Awesome ... post a photo or two ... I might have to get one of these things !
    They really work ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnho View Post
    7000 grains to a pound. 200 grain bullet would be .028 pounds or 0.45 ounces. That would be 0.41 troy ounces. Silver at $24.50 today would mean the bullet would cost $10.05. But it would be fun to display one. I'll keep my silver rounds as they are.
    By George, Johnho! You've cracked the mystery! We now know why powder has become insanely expensive! Its made of silver!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy
    Fifty years a lawyer and you still look down your nose at your fellow citizens who study and know law better than you. Every
    citizen is an attorney.

So, I could be wrong. Warewolves were pretty heavily documented in days where arrows and swords were the weapons of choice.
    But modern day smokeless powder with big caliber lead probably would work - just as an example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xg_z61SyDU
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	svarog_zevrboy.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	308982
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    So, I could be wrong. Warewolves were pretty heavily documented in days where arrows and swords were the weapons of choice.
    But modern day smokeless powder with big caliber lead probably would work - just as an example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xg_z61SyDU
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	svarog_zevrboy.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	308982
    I mean at the end of the day nothing beats a wood chipper…
    Rufus said it best “ Oh... okie dokie, wood chipper. That-that pretty much trumps...everything”
    “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact”

Boolit Master
    I had always wondered about the % silver content in the stories. None of it is really 100% and most of the stories date back a ways when measuring true alloy content would not have been that accurate. So, can it be 90%, 80%, 10%, 1%? Is 'silver' solder sufficient? Can you just 'plate' it with silver? Stick a silver ball in a HP bullet?

I also remember the Westerns where a 12ga was loaded up with a stack of dimes (silver back in those days). Could you do the same now with the 'plated' dimes made these days?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast