RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Mid-range heavy boolit load for the .41 Magnum?

Boolit Master

Mid-range heavy boolit load for the .41 Magnum?

I asked this on page 58 of the long thread in the favorites forum, but thought I would ask afresh here.
    I recently got my hands on a 41-240V mold from Tom at Accurate molds and this thing is casting a gorgeous boolit that comes in at 258 grains with my mystery range scrap alloy. I'd like to push it from 950 to 1000 for a pleasant-shooting load that still says "get outta my way" when it arrives in a feral hog's sternum, if you get my drift. I'd like to do this with Unique or Universal as I have them at hand. I have some of the usual suspects for heavier loads -- 2400, 296, AA #9 -- but don't want to step up to that class just now. Thoughts?

Boolit Master

Lots of folks here load for the
    41 magnum. My first handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel. I haven't shot the particular boolit you mentioned in your post. When I started casting for my Ruger back in 69, I picked the Lyman 410459 220 grain swc. My go to load was 8 grains of Unique. I even took two deer with that slug back in the day. Both kills were through and through. These days I mostly shoot a RSB Hunter. I play around smacking a 14" gong a 200 yards. I load either the Ranch Dog 265 gc, or an Ideal 412174 260 grain boolit. The latter boolit was designed for the old Ballard black powder cartridges, i.e. 40-70, 40-75. I load them over a heavy dose of either H110, or W296. With your particular boolit and weight, you could probably start with the minimum charge weight reccomended in the manuals. DO NOT DROP BELOW THE MINIMUM CHARGE WEIGHT WITH EITHER OF THOSE TWO POWDERS.
    If it were me, and I wanted to stay within the velocity ranges you mentioned, I would probably start with the 2400 powder.
    All the best in your endevor.
    Last edited by littlejack; 01-05-2023 at 07:58 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Buddy
    That bullet has a long nose and would make a great midrange load by deep-seating it to crimp on the ogive @ roughly 1.59" OAL, depending on how you trim your brass. 8.0 gr of Unique should give you about 950 fps, and uping it to 8.5 gr will get you to right at 1000 fps. Deep-seating gets you better case fill, 100% burn of the powder, and usually better accuracy as well.

Boolit Master

Loaded in my S&W 57 with a 6" barrel, 8 grains of Unique would run the Lyman 220 swc over the chronograph at a solid 1000fps.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Thanks fellas.

Boolit Grand Master
    In addition to the afore mentioned 8.0 grain Unique load, Try 11.5 grains of 2400 or VV. N110.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Black Mamba, I put up a few, powder-coated, over 8 grains of Unique and crimped over the ogive for 1.60 OAL. Will report. They sure are handsome devils.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    I asked this on page 58 of the long thread in the favorites forum, but thought I would ask afresh here.
    I recently got my hands on a 41-240V mold from Tom at Accurate molds and this thing is casting a gorgeous boolit that comes in at 258 grains with my mystery range scrap alloy. I'd like to push it from 950 to 1000 for a pleasant-shooting load that still says "get outta my way" when it arrives in a feral hog's sternum, if you get my drift. I'd like to do this with Unique or Universal as I have them at hand. I have some of the usual suspects for heavier loads -- 2400, 296, AA #9 -- but don't want to step up to that class just now. Thoughts?
    That bullet was designed by Lee Martin over on
    https://singleactions.proboards.com/
    I would head over and ask Lee any questions, he has run it in everything from 41 mag to 405 win. He also has a 295gr bullet which I am trying to get Tom @ Accurate Molds to catalog. Hopefully it will be in his catalog shortly.

Boolit Master
    Herco at 8-9 gr will work .. as well as 7-8 gr of 800x.