RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Del Rio, TX

Boolit Master

Del Rio, TX

Internet searches, news, etc don't give a true picture of any area, so I'm asking those that know - what is Del Rio, TX like? Good, bad...

I love going to small Texas towns, especially in the Southern and Western parts of the state.
    The culture, the people, the food isn't like anywhere else.

However; before I went to Del Rio right now,
    I'd take a long hard look at where it is, how close it is to the Southern border, and all the 'activity' going on down there.

And trust me:
    All those people who have such a hard accent that you'd think they had a different word for everything--
    They are not the best and brightest school teachers, Doctors, bank executives, or research scientists
    from Mexico, South America, and various other **** hole countries you never even heard of.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-03-2023 at 09:52 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Family members are going for a year. They'll be on the AF base. I'll be visiting. Should be interesting. I hope it's not as bad as what I hear.

The last time I was in del Rio, the red zone across the border was so big you had to drive around instead of walking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I hope it's not as bad as what I hear.
    I'd want to be sure and get back on the base before dark.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Nice place to visit, wouldn’t want to live there for very long - Laughlin AFB and the maquiladoras are about the only things that draw in visitors. Good hunting and some fishing opportunities.

FWIW, I grew up in San Antonio and really love south Texas…given the choice of Del Rio or someplace else, I’d rather live in far west Texas.

Boolit Master
    I'm actually looking forward to visiting. Always wanted to explore Texas.

Boolit Buddy
    Del Rio is an Arm pit in the South West.
    I've spent the better part of the last 18 years working all over West Texas. Its as bad as Midland and Odessa, but located near the sewer canal called thr Rio Grande.

Went there once 25+ years ago for a mandatory motorcycle rally get together and rode across the border Friday and Saturday on our Harleys. We had the Federales watching our bikes with machine guns while about 300-400 of us walked (staggered) around. Dirt floor bars and stores, ladies went into the stores and the men into the next bar. We leapfrogged and it went well. The Feds had advance warning, and all was calm, we tipped them as we parked our bikes, and they watched them well. They had 3 blocks reserved in advance for motorcycle parking along with a double decker bus. Don't try walking across the border as the bridge is about a mile long.

We rented a large part of the city park in Del Rio for the weekend, and it was a non-issue as we provided our own security. It was a good weekend all in all. The best part was the ride from Fort Worth to Del Rio and back, we went different routes and stayed off the big roads. Only hit about 3 miles of interstate total.

Stay away from Lake Amsted (spelling?), lot of trouble on that lake.

Glad I visited but even happier leaving. Be careful visiting.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I live three miles from the Rio Grande River and have not seen an illegal alien in over 30 years. Del Rio is the county seat of Val Verde County and is a very nice town. I would not hesitate to go there. I truly don't understand all the fear about going to the Border. You guys watch to much Fox News.

BTW: Odessa and Midland are nice places to live. Salt of the earth people.l I lived in Odessa for 6 years.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    That's what I was hoping to hear. I lived in Lynn, MA for four years, which is called a pretty bad place, but I'll tell ya, no one bothered me in those four years, and we had no problems at all. Then I moved to a Mayberry-type place and that all changed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I live three miles from the Rio Grande River and have not seen an illegal alien in over 30 years. Del Rio is the county seat of Val Verde County and is a very nice town. I would not hesitate to go there. I truly don't understand all the fear about going to the Border. You guys watch to much Fox News.

BTW: Odessa and Midland are nice places to live. Salt of the earth people.l I lived in Odessa for 6 years.
    The mojados don't bother me at all. Everybody has to work and much of this state was built on immigrant labor. However, the expanding drug trade has added an element of danger that was not present 30 years ago. I traveled extensively in Mexico on business trips from the early 1990's through 2010 or thereabouts but am no longer interested in going down there. I work with a lot of native Mexicans who are here legally on work visas and even they aren't interested in traveling to the interior to visit family.

Boolit Master

We drive through whenever we go to San Antonio to visit the wife's family. Seems like a nice enough place to me, spent the night there once or twice in the past. I can think of a whole bunch of places way worse. I'd have to agree with Char-Gar, Midland and Odessa are OK towns, I don't care for them much because of the way things are laid out and prefer San Angelo for my shopping needs and it's only about another half hour drive.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I work with a lot of native Mexicans who are here legally on work visas and even they aren't interested in traveling to the interior to visit family.
    I used to work with a lot of them too.
    One of my buddies was talking about his family wanted him to visit over some holiday,
    and he was trying to figure out a graceful way to weasel out of going.

I asked him why. He told me there were too many Mexicans down there.

EVERYONE!

Well...it's been a few decades since I visited (passed through) Del Rio...1966 a handfull of our HS Football team took a little trip there from Houston.
    Our mission was to go to 'La Ciudad Acuna', in those days 'Boys Town' and you can imagine what that was about!
    Two of us, me & a friend ended up in a Mexican Jail...yah, it had to do with our lack of common sense & liquor & women!

"So...my advice...stay out of Acuna if you can't behave yourself!"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

They need Judge Roy Bean to make a circuit call.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios