Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: 45 Wadcutter

45 Wadcutter

Hello All
    I am looking for a mold for 45 wadcutter.
    I am new to casting because I could not find 45 WC's to buy.
    Then I will probably have to buy a 45acp pistol because they wont cycle in my 1911. But that is just a guess.
    Memento mori

For a 45 cal revolver you may load 200 gr lead bullet backwards. You will then have a boat-tail wadcutter. I shoot them in my S&W mod 25 and Ruger Blackhawk.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Wow! That's cool do you have a recipe for the load? I am sure it will compress differently.
    Memento mori

Boolit Grand Master

NOE bullet Moulds has two 45 cal. wadcutters :

1.) 454-264-WC , this design is not loaded flush , a short section of nose and the first (top) driving band are seated outside the case . There is a crimp groove just under the first (top) driving band ... you can roll crimp into this groove for revolver ... OR... taper crimp on the top driving band , 45 acp style .
    I don't have this design in 45 ...yet ... but I do own moulds for use in 38 Special , 357 magnum and 41 Magnum ... it's a winner in accuracy ! I have a sneaking suspicion this design may feed in 1911 / semi-auto's also ...

2.) NOE 454-251-WC , this design is more conventional WC and can be loaded flush or with just the front driving band exposed with a taper crimp for 45 acp ... this design might require some feed ramp custom fitting to get it to feed 100% ... No problem in revolvers , the boolit will be deep seated for light target loads .

Take a look at them at the NOE Store , click on boolit moulds and go to 452-454 , plenty to look at . I have always prefered the 454-264-WC design myself .

www.noebulletmolds.com

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Saeco has an iron .45 wadcutter mold. Just curious - why are you shooting wadcutters from a semi-auto?

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman 452488. Discontinued, but they show up on the auction sites time to time. They even feed in Glocks

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Buddy
    Saeco #453 is a great 45 wadcutter. It’s is a 225gr, I guess it would be considered a button-nose wadcutter. IMHO it’s the best all-around wadcutter in the caliber.

I’ve had excellent results in 45acp/Auto Rim, Cowboy Spl, Schofield and 45 Colt.
    Loaded slightly past the crimp groove it runs slick as snot through the two Springfield 1911s I used to have.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Go the simple route with your 1911 and get the Lee 200 gr Semi wadcutter mould. Or another copy of the original H&G mould.
    A very useful bullet in the .45auto that feeds well at the proper seating depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cico7 View Post
    Hello All
    I am looking for a mold for 45 wadcutter.
    I am new to casting because I could not find 45 WC's to buy.
    Then I will probably have to buy a 45acp pistol because they wont cycle in my 1911. But that is just a guess.
    First let's define some terms. As commonly used, "pistol" generally refers to a semi-auto such as your 1911. In most cases, a 45 pistol will require a semiwadcutter of some sort to feed properly. Wadcutters require an extra amount of fitting and fiddling with magazines and feed ramps to work. Possible, but probably not really worth the effort.

If you are talking about loading for a 45 revolver, the wad cutter becomes practical, and several options have been listed above.

So how about some specific models you are interested in? Then we can be more helpful.

Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Your post is a little unclear.

Are you looking for a true, completely flat wadcutter bullet which would be most appropriate to a .45ACP/Auto Rim revolver? Accurate Molds will have plenty of choices for you.

Or are you looking for a SEMI wadcutter competition bullet that will feed in a 1911 and also make a clean hole in a paper target? The Gold Standard here is the Hensley & Gibbs #68 which is widely copied by many of the current moldmakers.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    First let's define some terms. As commonly used, "pistol" generally refers to a semi-auto such as your 1911. In most cases, a 45 pistol will require a semiwadcutter of some sort to feed properly. Wadcutters require an extra amount of fitting and fiddling with magazines and feed ramps to work. Possible, but probably not really worth the effort.

If you are talking about loading for a 45 revolver, the wad cutter becomes practical, and several options have been listed above.

So how about some specific models you are interested in? Then we can be more helpful.

Green Frog
    well put Mr Green Frog I agree totally
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    I don't cast, but a friend of who does sends me a batch of Saeco #453 bullets now and then. They shoot well in my Smith 625. Midway carries the mold. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010359532/

For the 45 Auto/Auto Rim I load a 200 gr lead bullet backwards with 4.5 or 5.0 gr of Win-231 then taper crimp them. I also load the Lee 358-125-RF backwards for 38 SP mid-range loads for my S&W 52-2 pistol.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Boolit Master
    As I am learning with my .45acp loading anything other than ball (or round nose) can be a bit of a frustrating challenge. The shorter and less rounder the bullet factors such as bullet shape, feed ramps, magazines, recoil springs load density/pressures and so on can all add variables to having a fine running 1911 in a jam fest. I’m not a fan of changing anything on my gun so all of the cool upgrades are not even in the thought process.

Below is what I have for bullet molds from L to R: Ohaus 185, Lyman 452460, Lee 200g SWC, Lyman 452374 RN

The dumpy wadcutter and the Lee just don’t seem to feed constantly for me at all. The Lyman SWC can be a bit finicky with reduced loads. Of course the RN has been 100% reliable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F31E29B9-6DC9-4124-8A60-BD5696BF2B0A.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	308890

Moderator Emeritus

IMO, wadcutters are best when you need clean holes for target scoring. If that is what you need go for it. but feed through a semi auto might be iffy. I really like the 452423 Lyman for 45 Auto Rim loads in a revolver. I believe they will feed in an auto and there is plenty of meplate.
    http://www.sixguns.com/crew/cba.htm
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I think you may be looking for a swc for your 1911. Some of my 1911 will feed a wc but they seat so deep, no real purpose. A swc will cut exactly the same hole. I love Saeco stuff but for the cost of their 2cav i can get a 4cab from Accurate, same high quality.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tim357 View Post
    Lyman 452488. Discontinued, but they show up on the auction sites time to time. They even feed in Glocks
    This is My favorite bullet in .45ACP, a great light target load with Bullseye can be found in the Lyman Cast Bullet Manuals.
    And it Will feed in a Glock M21 with change to an 11lb spring from the Glock Store.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    You can find 45 full wad cutters at Matt's bullets:

https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...p0mu7kfbigf110

They're a boutique outfit, so the prices are a bit higher, but I can attest to the quality of their bullets. I have used the 165 gr. in bullseye competition and it worked in my revolver so well that I had a custom mold maker build a mold for me in that same design.

Bear Creek also sells a coated 220 gr. hollowbase wad cutter:

https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/45

Try it, you'll like it!