WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN Hi-Power

Boolit Master

FN Hi-Power

decided that i need a hi-power. NOT a reproduction. is there any era that i should look for as to being the best quality??

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 1974, Belgium version....would not trade for any reason!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I'd say pick the features that you prefer. Internal extractor vs. external (Pre-war/wartime vs. post war), rounded or spur hammer, extended or regular slide release, extended or short safety, single vs. ambi safety, fixed vs. adjustable rear sight, small or larger front sight. I don't know that quality changed much over the years other than the WWII German produced ones.

Boolit Master
    hammer, slide release, extractor ect. dosen't concern me. i was interested in quality production time frame. i will look for something from mid 1950s thru 1970's and little used.

I have an 1980s fn hi power that is nice but I have to admit a new Springfield sa35 is really nice as well. It is likely a better shooter out of the box as well. Better sights safety , tighter slide to frame fit, and most important for a shooter MUCH better trigger (no magazine disconnect). Trigger about 4.5 pounds right out of box.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm very happy with my 2016 example and would definitely buy it again. One thing that is amazing is that mine has a very nice trigger pull. Honestly, most bolt actions would be blessed to have such a good pull. Zero creep, super crisp break, not terribly heavy.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in the day, all right way, back in the day, I briefly owned a 1969 Mfr. Belgian Hi-power. That gun did not like hollow points. In fact, it was pretty picky about anything other than FMJ. I have a 1990's MK III that eats everything that I have shoveled into it. If you are considering it as an investment, you want a ring hammer, Belgian made gun. If you intend to use it as a shooter or a CCW piece, I'd take the Portugal manufacture Mk III right off.

I have read that FN modified the feed ramp in the late 70's to make the guns more HP-friendly, but I have no first hand experience with any of those Mk II guns.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    bought a as new 1974 hi-power today. now i have a real one.

Boolit Master
    Whoa!
    Good for you!
    We’re gonna need pics!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    A few months back I got a deal too good to pass up on an FN Hi power in .40 S&W with the beefier frame that is a solid 95% condition. It came with 6 of the hard-to-find magazines with the external spring mag drop assist. The finish is what Smiths and Colts used to look like. The trigger with the disconnect in place is close to what my new SA-35 feels like. GF

Boolit Master

i have a browning 9mm that i understood to be a browning high power but after reading this thread i have doubts. it says browning arms on it and made in belgum but the grips have a browning logo. always thought it was a quality gun but now am unsure, anybody with knowledge care to enlighten me
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    can't do pictures yet. but picture a new 1974 hi-power. mine loooks the same.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    i have a browning 9mm that i understood to be a browning high power but after reading this thread i have doubts. it says browning arms on it and made in belgum but the grips have a browning logo. always thought it was a quality gun but now am unsure, anybody with knowledge care to enlighten me
    Is your pistol a single action? If so, I don't know of any other pistol it could be. Browning has sold a few different 9mm pistols over the years. There was the BDA-HP which was a DA/SA version of the Hi-Power, also a Sig P220 rebranded as the BDA.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

its a semi auto 1911 style, identical to the fn photos i found

Sounds like a Hi Power to me, can you post a link to what it looks like?

Boolit Master

when i search it shows the fn version but says its from a company in utah called browning arms

Browning is based on Utah, and historically many of their products were made by FN including the Hi Power.

Boolit Master
    ALL serious pistol shooters need a .45 ACP first, THEN a good 9mm. Except for the CZ platforms, I doubt there's a better single-action 9mm available (okay, maybe 1911s, but you lose the magazine capacity). The P-35 was designed with a little extra weight and redundancy in it as possible, so they are not as "beefy" as some 9mm pistols on the market. The fastest way to shoot one loose is to run a steady diet of hot 9mm ammo through one. Please don't do that to a wonderful old pistol.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    having trouble with re-assembly. from videos, the last thing that i install in the frame is the sear spring. i can get the sear spring under the sear where it belongs; or i can get the spring (bottom) in the hole in the bottom of the magazine well. but can't do both. do i need to drive out the pin that holds in the sear and ejector part way, push in the spring and compress the sear and install the pin???

Boolit Master
    got it done. need to remove the sear, install spring.compress sear and install spring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast