Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: 30-30 load development - Mossberg 464 lever

30-30 load development - Mossberg 464 lever

Load development day! 30-30 is a new round for me, and this Mossberg 464 is a new rifle, so I have some work to do. However, this kind of work is certainly fun.

It was a gorgeous morning here in Southeast Idaho. The sun was up, temperature a balmy 15 degrees F, 30.52 in. barometric pressure, 62% humidity, elevation 4865 feet. No perceptible wind whatsoever. Today, I placed the targets at 50 yards. Bullet chosen was Ranch Dog's 175 grain 30-30 made of wheel weights, gas-checked, and lightly tumbled, then dip-lubed with Lee Liquid Alox. Final step, the boolit got pushed through a .311" Lee sizing die. I shot 6 fouler rounds: each made up with 30 grains Hodgdon BL-C(2). OAL 2.485". The foulers were to get me on target and make sight adjustments, as I had not yet fired the 464 at 50 yards. I made some windage adjustment to the rear sight, shooting once between each change, until I called things 'set'.

I then cleaned the barrel of any powder/lube fouling, ran a couple of dry patches, and started my testing. I had 7 series of 5 rounds each to test. I also made a fouler round for each series, as I would be cleaning the barrel between series. The fouler round was made up of the 30-grain load. The process would be to shoot the 30-grain fouler round at a control target, then the 5 test load rounds at their own target. About 15-20 seconds time passed between shots. After the series, clean barrel, walk down to check and mark results, lather-rinse-repeat.

25-36 grains of BL-C(2) were tested, in 1 grain increments. That gave me 11 points in my data set to work with. All charges were trickled to weight and were all within 1/10th of a grain. All bullets were weighed after lube and gas check. Each were selected to weigh within 1 grain of each other, I picked 175.x grains. All prepared cases were also weighed to within 1 grain of each other, to try and keep external variables to a minimum. Bullets were seated to 2.485" OAL, the length I found best for this Mossberg (just barely kisses the rifling), and finally crimped with a Lee factory crimp die. Remington 9 1/2 standard large rifle primers were used.

* UPDATED * : 50 yard distance -- NOW WITH 25-36 grains inclusive

25 gr. = 2.2" 3 holes, 5.0" furthest 2 holes
    26 gr. = 1.2" 3 holes, 5.5" furthest 2 holes
    27 gr. = 3.1" 3 holes, 4.0" furthest 2 holes
    28 gr. = 1.8" 3 holes, 3.5" furthest 2 holes
    29 gr. = 1.5" 3 holes, 3.0" furthest 2 holes
    30 gr. = .96" 3 holes, 4.3" furthest 2 holes
    31 gr. = 1.8" 3 holes, 3.0" furthest 2 holes
    32 gr. = 2.2" 3 holes, 3.7" furthest 2 holes
    33 gr. = 1.2" 3 holes, 4.1" furthest 2 holes
    34 gr. = 3.6" 3 holes, 5.8" furthest 2 holes
    35 gr. = 2.4" 3 holes, 4.5" furthest 2 holes
    36 gr. = 2.8" 3 holes, 5.0" furthest 2 holes

* UPDATE * Looks like as I lowered the charge weight below 30 grains, it got worse again. Groups opened up the lower the charge weight became. Statistically, I don't know about my freak results in a couple of places! There does seem to be a sort of trend here, starting with larger groups at 25 grains. As I moved up the scale, it seemed groups started becoming smaller, until 29-30 grains. As I moved above 30 grains they began to open up again.

As I don't have a bench rest / lead sled for the rifle, perhaps I should throw my freak results out (the ones not matching the trend.) However, if I look at both the 3-group measurement compared to furthest 2 holes measurement, I can see where the most consistent groupings were made.

I think I just need to settle on a load and leave it alone now. A 29-30 grain charge of BL(C)-2 powder seems to be a fairly good spot for my rifle.
    Last edited by handyrandyrc; 02-09-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: UPDATED with more data

Boolit Buddy

Wow, nice report, can't wait to see the results. Well written.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

Added the data above...

Just starting to make out a ridge around the firing pin hole at 33 grains...

Definite ridge now around the firing pin hole on all of these at 36 grains -- a maximum load.
    Last edited by handyrandyrc; 02-04-2009 at 02:04 AM.

Updated pictures...

Last edited by handyrandyrc; 02-09-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    If you can finagle some IMR-4350 when your done with the BL-C(2), try 30.0gr of it.

In Handloader Issue #233 they loaded a 150gr RCBS bullet over 25.0gr of BL-C(2). I know it isn't a 175gr cast bullet but it should let you know how much room you have to work with.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    If you can finagle some IMR-4350 when your done with the BL-C(2), try 30.0gr of it.

In Handloader Issue #233 they loaded a 150gr RCBS bullet over 25.0gr of BL-C(2). I know it isn't a 175gr cast bullet but it should let you know how much room you have to work with.
    Lookin' good~!

I just got done working up a load for my Ballard rifled Marlin 30-30. I tried both the Lyman 311041 and the GB 311041 side by side. Used 50-50 WW-Pb alloy, WD for a 22 Bhn hardness, sized 0.310, and lubed with a quality lube. Both boolits grouped into 0.88" at 100 yds for 3 shots. Used 26.5 grains of IMR 3031 and CCI 200's.

This was the same load I used in my Marlin MG 30-30 except the boolits were sized to 0.312. After firelapping, that rifle shot 3 consecutive 3-shot groups of 0.88, 0.75, and 0.75". MY buddy shoots the same load in his 94 with the same accuracy. I haven't chronographed the load, but know it's a couple grains shy of book max for a jacketed 170 gr bullet..

I don't question your results but so far I ahve not gotten decent accuracy out of slower burning powders. I did OK with 3031 in a 303 Brit. But in my other rifles 4198 and RE7 seem to shine. I have used 310 sized bullets and even tempered bullets. My 30-30 Load is 24.5 grains of RE7 and a 188 grain tempered bullet. Taper crimped for the tube.

Northmn

Thank you for the feedback. I picked BL(C)-2 as powder for testing, because it was what was on the shelf locally. It was the only powder I could find and match up to known loading data for 30-30.

I've used up a pound between testing and loading my remaing supply of boolits. I have one more pound on hand I will continue to use. I am not at all adverse to trying a different powder -- in fact, I would have preferred something faster than BL(C)-2. If next time I go to re-supply, there is something else on the shelf, I'll pick it up and develop a 'go to' load using that powder.

Results could then be compared to my BL(C)-2 results.