Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: springfield armory hi-power

Boolit Master

springfield armory hi-power

doing some research and the accuracy seems excellent. hard to belive for that retail price. (699.00). questions are; are they made completly in the U.S., and , anyone have experience with them. what kind of accuracy??

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Last time I checked they were going for well over MSRP on Gunbroker. I have read in a couple of places that Springfield gets the raw forgings for 1911's (and probably the Hi-Power) from Brazil and machines/assembles/finishes them in the USA.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been working part time at a gunshop for the last 6 months...We have highest-tier status at multiple distributors that allows us to get almost anything. We had the X Macro, the LC Carbine, and the Prodigy on the shelf just a couple days after they were announced.

The SA-35 has been "released" for over a year now, and we have never seen one in person nor have any been available to buy through any or our distributors. As far as I can tell, they don't really exist outside of "review" samples. I'm also quite suspicious of many of the Gunbroker auctions I've seen. A lot of them are using the same pictures and just have a suspicious look about them...I think many if not most of these auctions may either be scams outright, or at the very least, trying to sell you something they don't actually have with the anticipation of delivering it at some point in the future.

Given that, I think the chance of finding anyone who has direct experience with one will be quite difficult. And, if you do manage to find one in the wild, I would expect to pay a significant premium over MSRP.
    Last edited by kerplode; 12-28-2022 at 02:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    a friend of mine just bought one last week in Pa. paid $750.00. which is a good price.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    a friend of mine just bought one last week in Pa. paid $750.00. which is a good price.
    Ditto. Friend of mine paid $735 for one around the first of December. Showed it to me last week - but we didn’t get a chance to shoot it. Nicely made and handles well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I've been working part time at a gunshop for the last 6 months...We have highest-tier status at multiple distributors that allows us to get almost anything. We had the X Macro, the LC Carbine, and the Prodigy on the shelf just a couple days after they were announced.

The SA-35 has been "released" for over a year now, and we have never seen one in person nor have any been available to buy through any or our distributors. As far as I can tell, they don't really exist outside of "review" samples. I'm also quite suspicious of many of the Gunbroker auctions I've seen. A lot of them are using the same pictures and just have a suspicious look about them...I think many if not most of these auctions may either be scams outright, or at the very least, trying to sell you something they don't actually have with the anticipation of delivering it at some point in the future.

Given that, I think the chance of finding anyone who has direct experience with one will be quite difficult. And, if you do manage to find one in the wild, I would expect to pay a significant premium over MSRP.
    I've seen 2, and the dealers who had them would not be considered top tier...
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen a total of three at a local shop. I am on the list for one but the ones I've handled were going to someone above me on the list. Fit and finish was very nice but the barrel fits was a little looser than my Browning.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I want one, but already have a sweet FN example so I don't mind to wait awhile.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub

I think Springfield has been tight lipped about where these are made. I have a feeling they aren't made here. I have a "real" MKIII worked over by Don Williams, so I'm not super interested in paying a premium for one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Disabled Army veteran

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I think Springfield has been tight lipped about where these are made. I have a feeling they aren't made here. I have a "real" MKIII worked over by Don Williams, so I'm not super interested in paying a premium for one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    They haven't been tight lipped at all, they have been quite open that these are made in the USA. It's been one of their advertising points. Geneseo, IL to be exact, they say that right on the slide.

Boolit Master
    The one I handled was well made and nicely finished. I’m just sorry we didn’t get a chance to shoot it.

Boolit Mold
    There are a few out there. I bought one 3 months ago at a small local shop for MSRP.
    I’ve only ran about 300-350 rounds through it so far and have had zero problems. I like the sights as supplied and accuracy is on a par with the “real” Hi Powers I’ve owned. My only complaint so far is with the matte finish; it is starting to show some wear already even though it’s carried in a properly fitted leather holster.
    There is quite a bit of YouTube flak out there about extraction problems and sharp corners on some areas of the guns tested but so far I am very pleased with mine. With the current asking prices of used FNs and Brownings I consider the Springfield to be a good choice for anyone looking for an all steel hammer fired SA auto if bought at or near MSRP.
    BOB

I've never seen the Springfield or the Turkish EAA Hi-Power in person, and I work at a fairly busy shop and frequent another.

Just recently purchased one and have put about 300 rounds through it. Love it. Works great and got some decent 25 yard benched groups with it .

Boolit Grand Master
    I've only seen three Springfield's for sale at gun shows, but all were at least 25% over MSRP. I have seen several Girsan HP's for right around the 525-550 range.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I was really wanting a SA-35, but could never find one.

Due to a lot of researching about this pistol, I found many reviews on the CZ-75 line of pistols, and comparing them to the Browning High Power and its clones.

The CZ-75B was highly praised.... so I bought one. Extremely satisfied with the CZ-75B.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Last time I checked they were going for well over MSRP on Gunbroker. I have read in a couple of places that Springfield gets the raw forgings for 1911's (and probably the Hi-Power) from Brazil and machines/assembles/finishes them in the USA.
    Springfield stopped using Imbel forgings many years ago for their 1911s. IIRC, they at least claim that they are forged in the USA now. I dunno about their SA35s.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    well, i started this thread; now i'll tell you what i think after shooting my friends. shot it at only 10 yds. 2 six shot groups. didn't measure the groups. shot off a poor sandbag set up. groups were around 1-1/2 in. worst trigger i ever pulled. it was a 3 stage trigger. creep then agritty stop creep then to about a 6+ pound trigger pull. so that is off my list. this leads to my question. i may look for a original hi-power. does anyone accurize them??? i looked at nighthawk customs site. seems that they just make them pretty. does anyone make them accurate??

Boolit Buddy
    I find the Springfield Armory attempt to be commendable but at the same time why change a thing? There are still deals to be had with Browning HP's as well as the non-authorized copies like the Hungarian FEG P9/Israeli Kareen that will accept original Browning parts. The FEG's can be a bit confusing as the P9R is different and some of the Kareens are different also. There are also the Argentine licensed BHP's.

Here is the latest that I've rescued from an incomplete collection of parts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221231_174352053 Resized.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	308678
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221231_174332625 Resized.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	308679

Removing the magazine safety improves the trigger pull.
    Last edited by 36g; 12-31-2022 at 01:56 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb in Pa View Post
    I've seen 2, and the dealers who had them would not be considered top tier...
    That's cool...I'll take your word for it. If they're getting out to buyers, then that's awesome. Perhaps we'll be able to get one at some point in the near future.

Perhaps it's a regional situation, or perhaps they have access to a distribution network we don't use, but I wouldn't presume to know anything about their status. We're a tiny, dusty shop in a podunk town, but we've been moving, on average, 100+ plus guns a month for a little over 30 years now. Even the compliance agents are a little surprised about how much stuff goes in and out...

We have had a few of the Girsan Hi-Powers lately...Fit, finish, and manufacturing quality all look really nice, but in true Hi-Power fashion, the triggers leave a lot to be desired.
    Last edited by kerplode; 01-03-2023 at 12:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast