MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: .690" RB data in loading manuals?

Boolit Master

.690" RB data in loading manuals?

Does anyone have a manual with .690 roundball data?

Curious if BPIs slug manual has any before I buy it.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    For loading shells or for muzzle loading? I have the Lyman black powder manual I could check for you if it's muzzleloading data you want. I'm no help for shotshells though.

Boolit Master
    Shotshells
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

At least one Lyman shotshell manual has load data for 0.690" RB's and my old BPI manual has load data for 0.690" RB's.

I'll look out the info after Christmas.

And speaking of which... Merry Christmas!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Appreciate it.

Merry Christmas
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Does anyone have a manual with .690 roundball data?

Curious if BPIs slug manual has any before I buy it.
    Here's the old BPI data that I plucked off the internet long ago, plus one from the old Lyman manual:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	690 ball.pdf 
Views:	57 
Size:	496.7 KB 
ID:	308486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	690 data.pdf 
Views:	72 
Size:	711.5 KB 
ID:	308487

I've used the BPI load with 25 grains of Green Dot and an LB12 wad extensively; it's relatively mild, though still plenty powerful enough. It is not super-accurate out of a rifled bore, more appropriate for a smoothbore, as it doesn't seem to engage the rifling much at all.

See my previous post about my Round Ball Accuracy Load using the Claybuster substitute for the 12C1 Federal wad, which is great in rifled guns.

Boolit Master
    Thank you
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

I just got back to this and was going to take a pic or two then post. I think FullTang beat me to it! That looks like what I have. I will double check anyway and if I have any thing else I'll post it.

I will say that the 0.690" RB is one I have had no success with. It seems too big for most plastic wads I have tried and even with the couple I found with thin enough petals, the petals sheared and accuracy was poor. I have not tried the BPI wads though and they wouldn't post them if the ball didn't fit.

If you do a search, a former poster TRG-3 said he had great results using 0.690" RB's in wads with two opposing petals cut off and shot from an H&R Ultra Slug Gun. Why cutting two petals off worked I have no idea but he has posted results.

In my experience you should put at least one 16 or 20 ga. nitro card wad in the bottom of the shotcup then the ball on top. This helps keep the wad from trying to wrap around the ball when 10,000 PSI kicks it in the butt.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Okay, FullTang has you covered with the BPI and Lyman manuals... except I see there are also listings for Federal, Remington and Winchester hulls but all use SR4756 which is no longer available. I can post the recipes if you want. They are in the Lyman Shotshell Handbook 3rd ed.

I also have a bulletin from BPI:

Plus of course you can use 1 1/8 oz. birdshot load data and just swap out the wad for a wad suitable for 0.690" RB with similar cushion leg. I also wouldn''t hesitate to use 1 1/8 oz. slug data with the 0.690" RB with wad adjustment to suit the ball.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Excellent thank you.

The wad was the most concerning part to me
    I test fit the wads I have and the 69RB in a couple of my barrels to see if what I have is doable.....I didn't like how snug it was.

I have no real need for these the slug loads I have are plenty good but the lee mold was on sale when I made my last midway order so might as well figure out what to do with it.
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I'm surprised there is so much data for .690" in 12 gauge. I use a .715" and some people use .735". I guess I could see using .690" in a full choke.
    Jim Taylor shared his RB load with me using Unique; 28 grains IIRC. Due diligence is required before using that.

Boolit Master
    Do you use a shot wad for the .715? I'm just curious I'm not likely getting another round ball mold. I have the lee slug 1 oz and my buddy has the Lyman 525gr pellet. I live in Wyoming and really don't have a need for shooting slugs other than blasting steel plates
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Yes, I use a plastic wad with the petals cut off.

Boolit Grand Master

The usual approaches are:

- trap wad witrh petals that allow the 0.690" RB
    - trap wad with petals cut off
    - donut wad

I am sure the trap wad type and material makes a big difference. For the brands and types I have tried, most have petals that are too thick so they sheared giving poor accuracy. I did find a couple with thinner petals and the fit to bore was what I would call good... snug but not tight. Petals sheared anyway and accuracy was poor. From what I have read Federal wads are tougher than some others. Not sure about petal thickness,

I have other mould sizes so went to those. 0.662" RB's cloth patched into trap wads seated in hulls gave very good results. 0.678" RB's in some trap wads give good fit but in others a bit loose. If good fit accuracy is good. 0.735" RB's over a hard card wad column also gave very good accuracy. My guns are all smoothbore.

725 posted his results with a 0.702" RB and while he said wad petals were sheared and in terrible shape, he got very good accuracy with rifled barrel. I don't recall what wads he used but I am guessing a tough plastic.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    If you're thinking of going out and buying new components, my recommendation would be to buy the LB12 (a Gualandi brush wad) from Ballistic Products and/or the 12C1 replacement from Claybuster (also sold by BPI). Otherwise, try cutting petals off whatever you have on hand, with a felt or cork wad on top.. As noted on another thread, Taofledermaus (YouTube channel) uses a papier mache wad made from wet toilet paper to create a nice little cup for RBs, and these seem to work quite well. Haven't tried them yet, but that's next!