MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not impressed with winter like conditions here

Boolit Master

Not impressed with winter like conditions here

It is now -41C or -41 F at the local airport right now.
    Yesterday my 2011 Tundra (300,000 K) was a no start. I spent yesterday pulling the battery from my Tundra, warming it and charging it, and 5 hours with the engine block heater plugged in.
    Thank goodness for fuel injection , it started and ran.
    I do not mourn the end of carburetors, manual chokes, and automatic chokes, along with air preheaters in automobiles.

Here (56 Degrees North) Sunrise is at 9:21, sunset is at 4:15, Solar power is a joke this time of year
    A fully charged Lithion ion booster battery that wil start a 60 HP diesel with a dead battery in June will drop to 50% charge just from sitting in the cold for 35 minutes. Once it is cold it doesn't have the amps to do more than run the built in LED.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

That kind of cold would take some getting used to.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Went from 48 at 0530 to 33 at 0700 with a strong wind. Tonight saying windchill -5F pretty cold for NC
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

It's 11* and clear now with a high of 27* forecast.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

It was 44F at 3am. It’ll be in the teens by lunch. No snow, though. Calling for 40mph gusts with saturated soil, hope we don’t have any blowdowns.

Boolit Grand Master
    Big storm coming our way. No concerns.

25 gallons of diesel for the tractor with 74" blower for the drive and open areas
    25 gallons of gas for sleds, chainsaw and snowblower for around the house.
    700 gallons of propane. For back up heat and whole house generator
    Moved 10 face cords of wood into the garage Wednesday and 6 more cords outside. (tractor is a blessing)
    6 months of food
    Back up 5000W gas generator and a small HF 900W. I will lend these out if need be.

More worried about some my neighbors; but they know I will help them out...have in the past...God willing.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

I heat with wood, and brought in an extra cart-load (14 pieces) yesterday to hopefully get thru today. With my bum leg this is about all I can move... But, we have natural gas furnace back-up; city water; and a piloted (electricity not required) water heater. Sadly, I have but one tractor and each fall (done!) I take off the front end loader bucket, replacing it with a snow blade. Similarly, I put a rear blade on, too. Hence, albeit neighbors move firewood with their tractors, the ability to move the white stuff is greater.
    What troubles me are the many folks who are "clueless" -- not even having a flashlight with fresh batteries. My own sister whined to me a month or so back that she lost power (a 100% electric house) and could not make coffee. I went on Amazon and bought/had shipped to her Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butane stove.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	308413a small Butane camping stove. Sometimes, it takes not too much to make conditions "better".
    Re OP -- my heart is out to you re the cold. One thought I had was -- years back -- they sold electric battery warmers for vehicles. In addition to the block heater for engine (I have one in my tractor) it's a battery-sized pad installed under the battery, also plugged into a.c., and keeps the battery both warm enough to hopefully start the vehicle, but also keeping the electrolyte from freezing. When I lived up north, I recall several mornings when I took caps off battery cells to view what looked like snow-cone slush! When a battery is fully charged it may freeze at a quite low temp; but, as it discharges what was a sulfuric acid mix turns more to just water -- hence freezes at a higher temp.

Boolit Buddy

Minus 3 degrees here this morning and 2-3 in of really crunchy snow. High of 10 degrees today. Hate cold weather. Cows have the hay rolls surrounded, ice on their backs, with the sun shinning.

Just think, it is summer, like June, in Argentina. Think warm.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

Last winter we lost our furnace for almost four weeks due to an issue with our generator transfer box and stink bugs/ asian lady bugs. Was not fun especially when we had single digit weather. Luckily I had plenty of wood. I don't have that same cushion this year (foolish on my part) but should have enough backup systems. We have the 500 gallon propane tank for the generator but when the transfer box goes, that is a problem. Power has been up and down several times already with this cold and wind. I expect a lot of trees down which I will have to cut tomorrow to even get to the road 3/4 mile away.
    Still wouldn't trade where I am at. Love it here. Merry Christmas folks and be safe and warm.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    16 here in Central Texas this morning when I got up. Gate actuator wouldn't work so I pulled a pin on the gate so I could leave for work. Thank goodness there is no precip in the forecast.

Boolit Master
    +9 degrees here this AM, small amount of snow maybe 8 or 9 inches total so far. Snow is how we get our water. Our old average for water from rain and snow averaged about 12 inches per year. It's been several years since we came anywhere near that amount. Five years ago we got 5 feet of snow over 3 days here in town. We used to get that kind of snow most years. Drove over the Cascade mountains last month and there was only about 6 inches of snow where there should be several feet. I've seen snow 12 feet deep at the summit in the past. I'm hoping we get a good dump of the white stuff because if we don't brushing our teeth may be a problem much less taking a shower.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

It was 1º here this morning and should warm up to nearly 20. We only got a very small amount of snow he yesterday and hardly any accumulation.

Its hard to imaging the temps that 10X is experiencing. I've hunted in Canada in November several times when it was -15F. Thats cold enough to cause problems with an open coffee cup and oil on a firing pin!

On another note: 13 years ago I was working in Hazard Kentucky on an Ice Storm!

Boolit Master

10F here in the hills west of Austin, bright clear sky. Combo of insulation, heat and moving water kept my well plumbing ice free. Yesterday, I plugged in my Jeep block heater and trickle charger, in case I get the call to man the ramparts. Charger tops off the battery (big AGM Odyssey) but also warms it. Block heater is a bit much for these conditions, but I like that it thins the oil a bit, making a first start easier.

Boolit Grand Master
    2° here today but next Saturday they are predicting 54°
    go figure
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Supposedly 1 deg. F here in Butler PA. When I was a kid in Southern California, the song Frosty the snowman didn't make any sense to me, and I had never seen a snow shovel.

Deer season continues after Christmas in this commonwealth, so I will at some point make a foray into the snowy woods to see if they are moving after the big snowfall.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

That cold is coming from the northern pole ice melting do to Global Warming Like a martini being shaken in ice liquor gets cold as the ice melts.
    That is IMHO and am sticking to it.

Boolit Master

well we are seeing our second freeze in twenty years, only worry is the waterlines East Texas doesn't get this cold so the water main isn't that deep. 16*F not that cold to some but it's really cold for this area.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

2 degrees with a wind chill of -16. Light snow on the ground. The wifes car did not want to start yesterday so I will probably get a new battery for Christmas.

Boolit Master

Global Warming

hummm
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast