Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not impressed with winter like conditions here

It is -3 right now with -30 chill here in SE MI as I write this. My wife and I are blessed to be warm and secure and have no reason to go outdoors today. The wind is supposed to calm down by sometime tomorrow and we are going to spend Xmas Eve with a group of friends that has been together since the 1970’s.
    I have a generator in case we lose power and two sources of heat and plenty of food and drink so this will not be a big inconvenience.
    I do feel for the wildlife outdoors as it has to be tough on them. Yesterday I seen 5 pheasants behind my home in a bean field and that made my day as I knew there were a few around but to see 5 together and they were all cock birds was a treat.
    Hope everyone else is doing well .

Jedman

Boolit Master
    It is going to be 8 deg. here tonight. With the wind and saturated ground it's hard to say what will happen. As stated earlier it is not hard or really expensive to be prepared. A small propane heater and camp stove and a barrel of water will do wonders.

Years age we lost power if it even threatened to snow. Wood heat, camp stove, a couple lanterns and convince the kids we were camping out turned into an adventure. I still have a hook or two in the ceiling for lanterns. I would take the drawers out of the fridge and fill them with snow.

jomp, which end of NC do you live ? I"m in NW Alexander Co. Do you remember the Christmas of '83, if I remember correctly, got down to -2 deg. It doesn't happen to often but sooner or later it will.

Dave

Boolit Master
    -9 here this morning and about 2 feet of snow so it has warmed up quite a bit since Wed night (-34). Being prepared for this type weather is necessary in NW MT. I have a 500 series John Deere bucket/back hoe with 1 1/4 yd bucket if the snow gets really bad. Normally the Dodge Cummins with a Fisher plow and an 8hp snow blower will handle the snow at our house and the widows next door. We have a geothermal heat pump and two wood stoves for backup heat. I keep 100 gal of gas and 150 gal of diesel on hand for the cars, truck, generator and various other fuel powered equipment. Not sure on the food but I would guess a years + on staples. 13 acres (10 wooded) with free range livestock (deer and turkeys) and a garden.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    It is now -41C or -41 F at the local airport right now. Yesterday my 2011 Tundra (300,000 K) was a no start. .
    I went out at 11:00, and it's 20 (above) here, and that's still too cold to do much more than look out the window and shiver.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Supposed to be 50 degrees today and heavy rain with 50 mph winds. Tonight its going to drop to 17 degrees and flash freeze. Gonna be great for traveling. Yeah, global warming!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    That kind of cold would take some getting used to.
    You never get used to it. You simply dress to cope with it. And you avoid situations where you may freeze to death.
    And if you are travelling a remote back road, your vehicle quits and you do not have a back up plan that includes warm footware and warm clothes your lifespan is shortened to hours.
    Cell service is non existent in most remote areas here and remote roads may have 1 - 2 vehicles a day. if that many.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    It was 10 here this morning in Hotlanta and it's 20 degrees now with wind gusting to 30 MPH. My brother and I have a total of 40 years between us in the Army and we both agreed last night we wouldn't want to be standing guard someplace exposed. Let us all remember those who are, in fact, standing guard for us today. Gray Fox

Boolit Master
    Neg 10 in Ohio this morn . Maybe 0 now but 30 mph wind
    Got food, kerosene, gas, wood
    "Should" go start the truck, make sure it's good for emergencies.
    Don't wanna go out in that mess !!!!
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    in the Army and we both agreed last night we wouldn't want to be standing guard someplace exposed. Let us all remember those who are, in fact, standing guard for us today.
    In '51-'52 my Dad was stationed for 18 months at Adak, Alaska when it was just a radio intercept/listening post and gas station
    for planes going back & forth from the US to Japan or Korea.

Taking turns of shifts between the Quonset hut radio room and the Flight Line were not his most favorite memories.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

here in central New Jersey 60 degrees at 5am now 39 degrees with predication of 0 tomorrow with wind chill favtor - where is all this global warming when we need it ?
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

When I left the pistol range at 2 it was 70. 3.5 hours later, it's 52. Central fl

It was -10 here this morning, right now it is balmy -2

Boolit Buddy
    -11 deg f this morning, 30 to 50 mph winds, don’t travel as roads may be whiteout: stay warm!

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    It's a sunny 27C / 81F here in Southern Oz at the moment.........sorry.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Master
    It has warmed up to [wait for it ] -18 degrees the best part is no wind.

Boolit Grand Master

I've never seen -41F, but I've seen in the -30's a few times, especially when I was living farther north in MN I saw -37F. It's days like that where you realize what really is good, and what is not. It still baffles me that people think lithium-ion battery powered cars are a practical way to get around. My drills barely have enough juice to turn on their LED light at that kind of temperature.

Here, it was -10 this morning, -5 now (9:30pm) some snow, fortunately no power or gas outage. Have the generator ready to go, gas for 4 days, plenty of wood for the fire place in case gas goes out, enough food for "a while" and gas stoves (and the grill on the deck...) with 6 propane tanks for cooking. Truck is filled up and hooked up to the block heater... Prepared, but not needed yet. All good in SW Ohio... Stay warm everybody!
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Had -9 this morning, a little over 12" snow. Now it is up to 11F with warm up predicted. Supposed to be up to 32F by 8 am. I am glad I don't have to "go to work" in it any more, this retirement gig is pretty good. My driveway is 3/8 mile though so I get enough snow removal experience. Between the Honda Pioneer 500 with a 6 ft. blade and New Holland TC40 tractor with 7 ft. backblade I do OK. The part I enjoy the most is watching all the "transplants" decide that Idaho isn't so great a place to live and pack their bags to leave.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    7+ right now , wind chill temp is -7. Low today was +2 , not sure what the wind chill figures were but wind speed was 10-15 mph so it was cold.

Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Last evening it was just freezing and snowing, and the temp rose all night. At noon it was 46* and pouring rain. Temp dropped all day, rain turned back into snow. Everything is ice now. It's 0* now and the wind is howling.
    Stay warm, be careful, and a Merry Christmas to all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast