Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Iver Johnson Champion Shotgun

Boolit Bub

Iver Johnson Champion Shotgun

Iver Johnson made a 44 and a 410 Chambered shotgun. Are the 44 and the 410 ejectors interchangeable?

Boolit Grand Master
    If it from the same basic model, probably.

I was not aware that Iver Johnson made any of the Champion model in .44. I have one in .410 and frankly it is a honking big gun for even the .410.

Robert

The Champion Model 39 shotgun was made between 1911 and 1915, and was chambered for the .44-40 shot cartridge.

While some parts will interchange between the 44 & the 410 variations, not all are, and some of the interchangeable parts might need fitting.

I've never tried the ejector interchangeability, but I don't think it would be a great loss (cost) if one wasn't - so, I would give it a whirl if it were mine. (YMMV)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayant View Post
    Iver Johnson made a 44 and a 410 Chambered shotgun. Are the 44 and the 410 ejectors interchangeable?
    I have two Iver-Johnson pre-WW1 .44/.410 " Garden Guns". The actions are tiny and the guns with original 26-inch barrel weigh 3-3/4 pounds. One has barrel marked. .44/ .410 with full choke and the barrel on the other one is marked .410/12mm with cylinder bore. The .44/.410 I had the 2-1/2" chamber run out to 3" and the .44/12mm with 2-inch chamber I have left alone so I can shoot .44 Game Getter ball out of it. John Taylor produced for me rifle barrels in .32-20, .38 Special, .44-40 and .45 Colt to fit these guns which get the most use around here. Keep the rifle barrels in mild black powder chamberings for these tiny soft iron actions.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 12-20-2022 at 05:27 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm going to have to dig Grandpa's .410 out and look at it to verify it is a Champion. I do know it has a 2½" chamber, and is on the regular shotgun sized action.

No idea when it was made, but it has looked old ever since I first saw it behind the door in the 1960's.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Pietro and Outpost 75 for the replies, I think I'll get a .44 ejector and try it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I checked Grandpa's gun last night. It is marked Champion on the side of the frame, but it must be a later model because it weighs 5.62 lbs, and is a full sized shotgun.

The only patent dat I could find on it read Jan 15, 15. So it is not one of the ones that pietro referenced.

As for the extractor working, it is probably the exact same part for the same frame size guns. I have one of the Stevens Model 101 smoothbores chambered in .44 Shot. Not having any factory .44 shot cartridges, I made my own from both .444 Marlin brass and cutdown .410 plastic shells 2" chamber in mine.

Outpost75 has listed suitable loads numerous times.

Robert

Not an Iver Johnson, but my 44-40 Topper uses a .410 ejector as is and it works perfectly.