RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solar Panels charging an electric hunting buggy.. above my pay grade !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    If I had to charge a EV out in the boonies,I would use a inverter generator so all I would have to do is plug my EV in and let the onboard charger do it's job. If you feel safe about leaving all your solar equipment out in the boonies that is one thing to think about.sorry for getting off track of your goals with solar power,
    I agree a small generator would work cheaper & less complicated.
    HF Predator 2000 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator with CO SECURE™ Technology Sale $550
    HF Predator 1400 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator with CO SECURE™ Technology $470

It would take 4.375 days (105.4378 hours) to charge the battery in the OP with 1400 watts (at a 10% efficiency loss)

So it would probably work if he wanted to use it one day a week and was around to keep gas in the generator to charge the 2080 Ah battery, the other days. As it would have to be running around the clock.

https://www.meracalculator.com/physi...harge-time.php

It probably wouldn’t take long for him to learn a $470 Chinese generator won’t last long being used 24 hours a day, days on end at 100% output.
    Last edited by jmorris; 12-20-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    The Hisun has a 1200watt onboard charger the must be plugged into a 120 volt outlet, it takes 6-10 hours to fully charge.A 2000 watt inverter generator has 120volt outlet and it would take 6-10 to charge.Hisun will void warranty if you try and bypass onboard charger

Moderator Emeritus

So you need a 2kw inverter($1k give or take for a good one), go with a 24 volt system for better efficiency(can use 24 to 12 volt converters for 12 volt loads), 2 100 amp hour deep cycle batteries($700ish), and 4kw of solar panels(so you have charge power as the sun rises/sets $4-6k) and a clear view of the sky sun up to sundown. This time of year I see 4 hours peak charge then an hour each side of tapering charge. And a charge controller that can handle the panels, MPPT is the way to go($1k ish)

VS a 4kw generator...

Do you know if you can use a solar charge controller for gel,AGM type batteries with the Dry cell battery?
    well the batteries you mentioned are all rechargeable and the solar chargers are programmable and I believe the voltage and amperage are attainable ..from what I am reading but honestly your question will have to be solidly answered by someone more knowledgeable than me ..I to have the same questions to be answered

Bear

To all who have contributed I thank you ..each has had good thoughts and contributions ..I think it would take a local guy who has the solar electrical base already in his/her's knowledge base to pick up the "challenge" this would present with the current state of the available technology and available equipment ..
    No doubt one could throw enough $$$ at the problem of solar charging an EV vehicle but in truth ..I see it presently to not be a viable proposition ..
    On top of that the current safety record of EV and fire hazards associated with charging high capacity batteries that seem to plague E vehicles is a consideration..and especially leaving a live electrical system running 24/7 in a 100 year old log and lap board wood barn looses it's appeal once one considers the "what ifs" of an unattended charging system..
    I have a Yamaha Rhino 450 that I do farm work with that stays on the farm and it is fine transport but the sucker is loud loud loud ..especially pulling hills ..like mentioned the deer ignore my big tractor and even my combine but they just do not like that Yamaha in the dark .. there is a solution to more silently move thru the logging roads in the dark ..but I have not found it or it has not been built yet ..
    A couple more years of Boomers and such wanting quiet transport will have the ATV/UTV builders figuring a reliable way to tap the market ..

Bear

The Hisun has a 1200watt onboard charger the must be plugged into a 120 volt outlet, it takes 6-10 hours to fully charge.
    That is mathematically impossible or the specifications are wrong. You would need 208 amps to fully charge a fully discharged 2080 Ah battery in 10 hours.

At 120 VAC and 15 amps (1,800 watts), your going to get less than 42 amps at 48 volts. Even with 600 more watts than claimed, there is simply not enough amperage.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tool...-inverter.html
    Last edited by jmorris; 12-20-2022 at 11:57 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Solar has its place... BUT you will have a hard time ever breaking even on a grid tie system these days. Not with fees going up every 3 months to cover fuel costs, fees to cover the fees(joking but that is what it seems like!) and regulatory climate changing to not favor grid tie solar(it drives up the utilities costs)...

The ONLY reason I have solar is I got tired of fighting with a generator when it was -20f... it gives me power for heat and lights and a little entertainment and I don't have to hurt myself trying to start a generator with oil that is like cold molasses... and no going out in the cold fueling it in the middle of the night! I thought about a standby generator but the gas company wants a ridiculous fee to have one on the meter. My gas bill would have quadrupled in summer and 25% higher in winter. Standby fuel surcharge stupidity fee!

Boolit Master
    Batteries and chest deep water won't work well together. Maybe where you live but not in South Florida especially after 2 November hurricanes.

Boolit Master

Maybe have a look at ECO-Flow Delta solar generators. kinda looks good to me. I'm going to try it as a back up here on the house, it should carry everything but the heat, you can couple two together to increase output.(if needed)
    Light weight so you can charge it before going to the farm, then just set up the solar panels before going to the woods, they are very light weight and fold out. only takes two or three hours to charge the batteries(fast charge system. I'm wheelchair bound and can charge my track chair it holds a charge for over a year. even after the storm of the century a couple years ago. the sealed batteries in that chair have lasted almost 10 years now 1st set was changed after 3 years just in case. Also a LA company used to make Bad Boy Buggy a Electric UTV that was very quite. I'm planning to add a silent muffler to my ATV. I hear they work very good and cost less then $200.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Maybe have a look at ECO-Flow Delta solar generators. kinda looks good to me. I'm going to try it as a back up here on the house, it should carry everything but the heat, you can couple two together to increase output.(if needed)
    Light weight so you can charge it before going to the farm, then just set up the solar panels before going to the woods, they are very light weight and fold out. only takes two or three hours to charge the batteries(fast charge system. I'm wheelchair bound and can charge my track chair it holds a charge for over a year. even after the storm of the century a couple years ago. the sealed batteries in that chair have lasted almost 10 years now 1st set was changed after 3 years just in case. Also a LA company used to make Bad Boy Buggy a Electric UTV that was very quite. I'm planning to add a silent muffler to my ATV. I hear they work very good and cost less then $200.
    That may run everything for 15 minutes... 250 amp hour battery with the 2 add on batteries... Your fridge needs ~4amps at 120 volts, that is 40 amps at 12 volts from the battery to the inverter, with losses call it 50 amps. 4 hours use... fridge is intermittent use so that would run JUST the fridge for a day... My house battery is 932 amp hours... almost 4 times the size. It runs 2 freezers, the fridge, the pellet stove, and limited computer/TV use...

Boolit Master
    How cold does it get in S.E.Mo?
    There's a couple of stories circulating right now about EVs (cars, not ATVs) not charging well or not charging at all in extremely cold weather. I don't know if that would be an issue or not, if the ATV will be parked in an unheated shed for charging.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Tell me, colleagues, do you know about the existence of a wood-burning stove with a device that converts heat into electricity?

https://kibor.ru/mini-electrical-wood
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Moderator Emeritus

Not going to run much with that electricity... maybe charge phones and a single LED light... solid state heat to electric conversion is VERY inefficient

Boolit Master
    Saw a setup on a lifted modified 48v golf cart. The roof was fabbed from aluminum and has several small solar panels on it which the owner said kept it charged enough throughout the week to use on the weekend. Perhaps something like that and a small generator to back you up or give a good solid charge every now and then.
    Have you tried installing a silencer muffler on your rhino? they're not golf cart quiet but they knock the sound level down noticeably. My brother has one on his atv, They really quiet the exhaust, but not the engine noise so much. Its way more noticeable how quiet it is when it a ways off, I can hear the gravel and dirt grinding under the tires but not the engine
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Jmorris I think you are correct is sying the specs are given wrongly ..not by me but on the factory web page ...I have looked back over my "tracks" as I ran down EV's and one of the first reviews of the Hisun I read ..the reviewer made a casual comment that "of course the 2080 AH is by one kind of rating" ..then went on to say converted to standard BIA ratings it's another number ..I have looked and looked and cannot find the article and my knowledge of the stated electrical capacity being in it's infancy at the time did not register it's importance
    from memory the reviewer's "new number" was half = 1040AH but even that I cannot abide by as the now discontinued discontinued Polaris EV 1 which was successful in it's 8 year rein has only 540AH ..and reading a guys blog in the UK who does change overs from gas to electric states "the smaller Hisun which he has started (Hisun makes gas also) converting is smaller than the polaris he converts and the Hisun battery area will not fit anywhere near what a Polaris will hold"
    So I have more facts to to discover ..sorry my bad ..
    Guess it is like some crossbow makers advertise 450 FPS ..but not with the light factory arrow you would wish to stick a deer with!

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    How cold does it get in S.E.Mo?
    There's a couple of stories circulating right now about EVs (cars, not ATVs) not charging well or not charging at all in extremely cold weather. I don't know if that would be an issue or not, if the ATV will be parked in an unheated shed for charging.
    Yes ..I have already read where LI batteries will not take a charge under 32 degree but then another poster says some lithium will self heat then take a charge ...then others say turn on the head lights to heat the cells then charge (Not good for a remote barn!)

But your comments and the knowledge they make available to all is important.. and why the Discovery Drycell system in this Hisun SXS pricked my intrest

Bear

Banned
    Hey there, I love the idea of using solar panels for charging electric hunting buggies! The ECO-Flow Delta solar generators sound like a great option, especially with their fast charging system and lightweight design.

at close to 80 years old, i,ll keep my gas atv,s. don,t drive like a idoit and just poke along in second gear. i,ve done that for the last 30 years of hunting and could have fill my deer tags if i wanted to.my one honda atv sits from dec to may for spring turkey and then sits untill summer for joy riding and then untill oct for the fall-winter hunting seasons. with nothing done in between other than haveing a cover over them.

Boolit Master
    Only 2 year warranty for a $13,500 investment, come on Hisun step that up a bit!Found a site called UTV Board, great info about Hisun battery configuration
    Last edited by jim 44-40; 03-04-2023 at 11:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast