MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Lee 358-158-RF

Lee 358-158-RF

I have seen that there are a few people using the Lee 358-158-RF, but mostly at near max loads in 357. Has anyone tried this with a fast powder (like Titegroup) out of 357, if so how accurate was it?

I always hear "size the bullet to the throat." Does that mean if my throat is .359 I should size to .359 or should I size to just less than .359? Thanks.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Pb head's Avatar
    I could never get it to shoot well with the heavier loads out of a contender or BF falling block. I'm going to try it in a Marlin trials end as soon as I get to it. What did work very very well was 4 or 4 1/2 gr of tite group in either a 357 or 38 special case. Just about one hole off the bags at 25yds. The most accurate load I've ever found for those two pistols. I use it on bowling pins at 25yds and sillywet out to 100yd rams. I have the 6 cavity mold and love it for the speed I can go through a 20# pot. I size at .357 because that's the only 35 cal die I have for my Star. Works for me.

Pb head

Boolit Master
    I use that bullet with great pleasure in my 357 Maximum Handi Rifle, but I am only pushing it to 900 fps. I've pushed it as fast as 1400 but it looks like I shot the target with buckshot. It does OK at 1200 but is really nice at 900. I am using 7.2 grains of #107, a milsurp flake powder from Jeff Bartlett. It is quite like Blue Dot, weighing out the same from a fixed rotor measure and yeilding velocities within 100 fps. I shoot it unsized, my mold drops 'em at 359

Super Moderator

.........It did really well in my K38 @ 850 fps. Shoot some experimentally out of my Ruger BH 357 at upwards of 1200 fps and it did as well as (but not better then) my Ly358156 and RCBS 38-162. But those were both GC designs, so at least the PB Lee is keeping up! I like the boolit and the mould alot.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I have cast about 1500 of the boolit in question in water dropped WW metal, I have fired a few rounds with max loads of Lilgun that seem to indicate it will shoot,(6" at 100 yards from 4" iron sighted sec. six) I am lube sizing the boolits now, when I get them done then I will load more and I will know more, I am leaning towards running some green dot because I have 2-3 lbs of it kicking around and do not currently use it for anything else.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Thanks for the info guys. I will have to pick up a six cavity after I start my new job (employee discount).

Boolit Master
    SGD, notice you're in Columbia, MO. You going to work for Midway, by any chance? sundog

Yep, no more killing rats at the University for me.

Boolit Grand Master

SGD: I shoot this bullet in 38 special loads at about 950 fps, with Alcan AL-5 7.7 grs. Haven't tried it in the 357 yet, but plan to with HS7. This was my first 6 cavity mold and I like it a lot, drops bullets at .359", I usually get about 400 bullets per hour, cast 50-60 with it, set it down and pick up another mold cast till it gets too hot, back to the first, whatever works for you. Scooter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SGD
    Yep, no more killing rats at the University for me.
    Did you get to use a .22 to kill them? <G>
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Barrett
    Did you get to use a .22 to kill them? <G>
    No, I would take their hearts out and grind them up in a blender so that some one else could measure the power out put of one heart cell. I still have to take the hearts out of some transgenic mice and hook them up to a big apparatus and measure the power of them. Once a semester I would also use a guillotine on a few rats to get blood for an undergraduate class. PETA really hates me, I'm a hunting, trapping, research animal killing machine.

SGD---how much power does a cat cell put out? Would seem much research needs to be done in this area.

gato matodor

Quote Originally Posted by carpetman
    SGD---how much power does a cat cell put out? Would seem much research needs to be done in this area.
    Tsk, Tsk, Tsk