Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grape-Nuts

Boolit Master

Grape Nuts were a step up from the corn flakes, cheerios and shredded wheat that were typically on our breakfast menu growing up. Rice Krispies were too, not so much for the flavor but the sounds they made when you poured milk on them. Mom didn’t buy sweetened cereals but on special occasions (usually Sunday mornings) she’d let us pour a little maple syrup on cheerios.
    Winter fare was porridge with raisins, oatmeal, cream of wheat or occasionally my favorite, Coco Wheats. In winters on special occasions honey was substituted for maple syrup.
    This thread sue brought back some fond memories. Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I remember them. I tried 'em a couple times, It felt like I was eating rocks.
    Eating rocks was same for me. And if you wait til they are soaked with milk a big gob will choke you up quick.
    I miss the old style shredded wheat in the big rolls. Kinda crunchy on top and soft on the bottom whem floating in milk.
    My favorite "cereal" back in the day was just a half burned piece of toast floating on milk with some sugar sprinkled on top.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    I have always enjoyed most of the cold and cooked cereals. Favorite cooked cereal is Cream of Wheat. A few years ago I told my sister I could not find any source for Wheatena. Even when cooked that blend still goes down like softened sand. That year she gifted me with 2 boxes of the stuff. WAY TO GO, GIRL!

Boolit Buddy
    They're one of my favorites! They were difficult to find during the plandemic, but they seem to be pretty available again.

I like to heat them in the microwave...Occasionally, sprinkle on a little brown sugar or some maple syrup. Yum!

Boolit Master
    not for folks who like a leisurely breakfast- they tend to swell faster than I can eat them
    Loren

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by namsag View Post
    I like them, have not had any in years though. I like to warm the milk and let them soak a bit, really good.
    Yes! the trick is to let them soak. Warm milk or cold, doesn't really matter.

Boolit Master

I used to eat them with warm milk and a spoonful of sugar. Alas, been a type-2 diabetic for the last 20yrs. Miss them, softened in milk. They sat
    like lead in your stomach, and you didn't want to eat anything for 5-6 hours.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I enjoyed them in my youth. Usually with warm milk same as shredded wheat.

I bought a box last summer as I hadent had any in years. They have changed! They did not taste as I remembered and frankly I couldnt get thru the box!! Even the chickens wouldnt eat it!!!

I did find Alpine NO SUGAR and I DO ENJOY that. But need to let soak a few minutes. Have t tried earmed milk but do enjoy blue berries as a sweetener.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy

first time i had them as a kid thought that sure is a little box. Filled up the bowl full like i did with other cereal. Wow. never made that mistake again. had jaw cramps by the time i was dun and culdnt even think about eating lunch.

Boolit Master

Loved GrapeNuts when I was young but my teeth could not take chewing them now.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master

I've tried them. I figured they were mostly used as base ingredient similar to cream of wheat. People actually eat grapenuts plain with some milk? Seems like you could just put some tree roots in a blender and be better off.

Boolit Master

Buddy of mine brews beer and gives me the spent grains for animal feed. They smell just like Grapenuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Buddy of mine brews beer and gives me the spent grains for animal feed. They smell just like Grapenuts!
    Use those spent grains to make bread!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

Grape-Nuts Banana Crunch Muffins

makes 12 standard size muffins

Ingredients :
    1 cup Grape-Nuts ceral
    1 1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    2 medium ripe banana's ... mashed
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1/2 teaspoon Vanilla

directions:
    1.) Mix flour , sugar , baking powder , baking soda and salt in a large bowl .
    Beat egg in small bowl , stir in bananas , yogurt and Vanilla .
    Add to flour mixture , stir just untill moistened ... batter will be lumpy ,
    Stir in Grape-Nuts .
    2.) Spoon batter into muffin pan , standard size , that has been well greased , fill each cup 2/3 rd's full .
    3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until light golden brown .
    Serve warm

Okay ... I found it ! Here is my Mom's recipe ... it was hiding from me but ...got it !
    This is still a good tasting , old school , blast from the past ... muffin !

I think I'm going to have to make a batch ... done went got a craving flung on me !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    Grandmother liked Grape Nuts and Uncle Sam cereal. Tried Grape Nuts ONCE. Like getting a mouthful of gravel it seemed.
    Much preferred Oatmeal. Nowadays, its regular oatmeal(no quick cooking stuff) and steel cut oats together. Sometimes Grits. Still like Frosted Flakes and Capt' Crunch (now and then) along with Shredded Wheat. I also miss the large rolls of Shredded Wheat. As said, crunchy on top and soaked with milk on the bottom

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I ate them for years for breakfast mixed into yougart. Later I stopped eating breakfast. You can use them for a base of bran muffins.

Boolit Buddy
    Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat and Grape Nuts....still eat one of them most mornings. The Grape Nuts are served hot....two minutes in a bowl of milk in the microwave. If I'm feeling like an award is earned, I add either real maple syrup or a little brown sugar. Soft on the outside and firm in the middle...yum

I ate it a lot as a kid. It does look a lot like chicken crumble feed.

There was a time when all the big cereal brands were pitching their products as "health food." When I was a boy, my mom alternated cold cereal with bacon and eggs. My doctor has got to be wrong about this healthy diet business!

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    There was a time when all the big cereal brands were pitching their products as "health food." When I was a boy, my mom alternated cold cereal with bacon and eggs. My doctor has got to be wrong about this healthy diet business!

Wayne
    Yea, do a little research into why cereals where invented, Dr Kellogg, and Adventists believes. Hint, to supress libido!
    Yes, your Granny probably knew more about nutrition than your Dr.!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast