RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: flying with firearms

Boolit Master

flying with firearms

Have you flown by commercial airline recently with a firearm ? Just wondering what your experience was in so doing.

Thanks D

They play around with the regulations, and some airlines make up their own.

Call and check with the airline.
    Even if you're in compliance with federal regulations---
    they may not let you on their airplane if you haven't done something they specify.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Be sure to do your research !!!! As long as you follow all the ATF and airline rules you shouldn't have a problem. Buy the best hard gun case you can find. Use a good lock and make sure the hinge pins or similar hardware can't be removed to gain access to the inside. Thieves can be ingenious when it comes to locked cases. Put your name, address and phone number inside and outside the case. We have metal luggage tags for ours. Be sure to have at least two keys.

We hunted Africa in 2015, the only real problem was the attitude of one US Customs agent. When we went to get the paper work to take our rifles the agent acted as though he was doing us a great favor in handing us the forms and checking the serial numbers. The guy was a real jerk. If he had worked for me he would have been invited to a private conference in my office.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Flew international in September. Absolutely no problem going or coming back with anyone in the U.S. Do your research, be polite, have your paperwork in order. The customs agents and airline folks we dealt with were courteous and professional and asked about our hunting.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Watch the ammo. Gun must be unloaded and really no ammo in any magazines. Box it separately or buy at destination if you can. (Or ship it separately ahead of time)

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Flew to Denver for a hunting trip. No Issues in Seattle or Denver. Both rifles and ammo locked in my heavy duty case that rolls along easily. Inspectors opened the case in Seattle, looked at everything then locked it up, tagged and ready for the plane. In Denver they used xray equipment but never opened the case. Very seemless well treated by staff in both airports.

OMG... flew to Arizona not too long ago. I declared my handgun, followed their procedures, and had no problems. Arrived at Arizona and they had lost my suitcase that my handgun was in. After looking for a little over an hour the airline employee suggested that I go online and file a lost luggage claim. Ha, I had them call a police officer and shortly after he arrived my suitcase was found. That was my only bad experience flying with a handgun. I’ve flown to California with a checked handgun and I believe it rode first class.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

We had Apple airtags in our luggage. Good for peace of mind.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

I have flown American Airlines out of DFW thru Chicago 4 times on to the Dakotas. Same through Salt Lake City several times. Also from Tampa to the Dakotas thru Chicago. Both Rifle and Shotgun w/Ammo 10mBoxes of Shotgun No.5 ( hard to find) at the other end.
    Guns must be in a lockable HARD GUN CASE. Either long gun or handgun. My ammo was in a lockable case INSIDE a checked locked roller type canvas/hard bottomed duffle. Note: Ammo must not be loose and in ORIGINAL ammo boxes, inside separate case/luggage.
    Flew into Phoenix with this arrangement with 3 handguns w/ammo done as described. At the luggage Carousel picked up my case. Went into the restroom removed my concealed carry gun, took a dozen rounds from the full original box of ammo, loaded the mag, put in my IWH and walked out of the airport ( beyond security ). Did this for years with no problem. Be prepared, ask all your questions on the phone before hand. Look and act like you know what your doing and you should be fine. They hate unmarked plastic ammo cases, its in the rules.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Interesting. My handgun ammo was in ammo wallets that do a much better job of holding the individual rounds than typical factory boxes. The .308 rounds were in factory boxes. Nobody had a problem with it. Ammo was in a locked .30 cal. Plastic ammo can. Delta rules said factory box or other secure container or something to that effect.

Boolit Master
    Have had no problem flying long guns in a locked hard case. Four padlocks on a cheap hard case works fine. I use a better case when I start and return home with a gun or guns. Just tell the airline you have a gun. They had me fill out a form and put it in the case. Locked the case when I checked it in.

I will never set foot on another airplane again, so I don't worry about it.
    I drive or walk anyplace I need to go.

Boolit Grand Master
    My buddy went to South Africa and was rerouted along the way. We had some extensive load prep and had some stunningly accurate reloads. All were confiscated (IIRC - in England) because they were not in factory boxes. I no longer have any desire to travel around the world. If it's not found here in America, I'm not interested. Parts of America are off my list, too.

Vendor Sponsor

I went to Phoenix once with this ex GF, she was BiPolar I think, undiagnosed, things would be great then without warning, full blown Jekyll and Hyde. Somewhere west of Tennessee, we had a heated disagreement, and in my mind I was trying to remember all the rules, in case I had to go (by cab) to a walmart or a LGS for a case and a lock and then to an airport to get home. Somehow made the rest of the trip, her ass is waaaaaaaay in the dust now, thank God I didn't have to fly.. Or shoot anyone. Ugh....
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Last time I flew, I shipped all loaded ammo. Coming back had all the empty brass in a backpack and locked, security checked every box in locked backpack, never said a word about the loaded ammo in my checked suitcase.

Boolit Grand Master

Last couple of times I went to Alaska I pre-shipped a rifle to myself thru the USPS. I did take the ammo as checked baggage. Long time ago the airline misplaced a Government issue M-14. The airline stated to file a claim. I stated I was required to notify the Fed's since it was considered full auto. They asked me to let them double check and about 45 minutes later that had located Uncle Sam's rifle.

Not sure how the recent shipping changes will affect shipping to yourself? I am planning an Alaskan hunting with a rifle that has a great deal of sentimental value. That will have electronic tracking installed.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer