RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts about Winchester 1894 from 1895?

Thoughts about Winchester 1894 from 1895?

I'm about to buy a Winchester 1894, made in year 1895, 30 WCF.

It feels weird I'm about to shoot a gun that is older than every single human alive on earth...

It says it is mechanically 'very good', and bore is 'very good'. I plan to receive it, do basic function check. Aside from that, what else should I check?

I've never owned any actual authentic winchester. From what I gather the steel used for the entire 94 line in 30-30 was pretty strong so I don't need to worry about that. I suppose I should say "1894 line" as I don't think it was called the "94" at that date.

Ive also been told by Bazoo that I should check the link pin, and lever pin for wear, which he said is primarily where the 1894 wears out at which can cause headspacing issues. Considering those are $2 parts I was just going to buy new ones.

Can I just shoot this gun like any other lever gun (100+ rounds in one range trip) or do I need to baby it?
    Last edited by Mint; 12-17-2022 at 01:06 AM.

Just shoot it. It'll be fine.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Just shoot it. It'll be fine.
    That's the answer I wanted to hear

Boolit Master

If you are talking about shooting cast and it is in good condition you should be able to shoot it as much as you want. Enjoy your history.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    If you are talking about shooting cast and it is in good condition you should be able to shoot it as much as you want. Enjoy your history.
    Yep just lead boolits (that I buy, not cast). Probably 'start' loads.

I'm quite excited, I can't believe it has taken me more than half a dozen lever guns to finally get an authentic one.

now all that is left is an 1892 in 44-40 that doesnt cost arm and leg

Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    That's the answer I wanted to hear
    Clean it real well, check it out, get it sighted in and go kill something. It'll make ya proud.

There ain't nothing wrong with the old stuff.
    Mostly Mausers-- But there's guys all up & down here shooting guns about that old.

Look around, they're still racing WWII fighter planes.
    With the shortage of weapons in Ukraine, they've broken out some WWI machine guns, and put 'em back to work.

You might want to put new springs in it, but that's about all it should need- if that.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 12-17-2022 at 01:21 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    This one here dates from 1898 and is still going strong:

15 rounds offhand at 100 yards

Granted, it’s got a whole bunch of miles on it and it’s been cutdown and the mag tube shortened at some point in its life but it still shoots nearly as well as it did when it was new (despite having a bore with no discernible rifling).

5 rounds offhand at 75 yards.

I run plated and jacketed Bullets out of this one as the bore is just too rotten for cast.

Quote Originally Posted by ATCDoktor View Post
    This one here dates from 1898 and is still going strong:

15 rounds offhand at 100 yards

Granted, it’s got a whole bunch of miles on it and it’s been cutdown and the mag tube shortened at some point in its life but it still shoots nearly as well as it did when it was new (despite having a bore with no discernible rifling).

5 rounds offhand at 75 yards.
    Incredible! Is that also 30 WCF? That's awesome it works with the rifling straight up blown away. That's good news as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Can I just shoot this gun like any other lever gun (100+ rounds in one range trip) or do I need to baby it?
    A lot of the older guns didn't have the greatest metallurgy. Winchester introduced the Nickel Steel barrel alloy in early 1895 with the introduction of the 30 WCF. I don't have a clue if that included the receiver? or if it even makes a difference. I do know the Cowboy actions shooters claim the early Winchester 1897's don't stand up as well as the later 97's with upgraded steel or the Chinese imports but they are shooting thousands if not tens of thousands of rounds.

Personally I would keep it well lubed and shoot it as much as I wanted.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-17-2022 at 05:10 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Incredible! Is that also 30 WCF? That's awesome it works with the rifling straight up blown away. That's good news as well.
    Yep, it’s chambered in 30 WCF.

It’s a neat old rifle that’s been cut down at some point in its long hard life, it appears that it’s ownership history may have carved in its stock.

If you look close you can see the name “Jose” and the initials JBE as well as others whittled into the stock:

As far as bore condition is concerned the barrel has no lands and grooves just a visible spiral that’s high in spots and low in others but as you can see it’ll still stabilize plated and jacketed bullets at speeds between 1450 and 2000 FPS.

I have a couple Marlins, one in 38 55 made it 1896 and another in 40 65 made in 1887 that I'm sorting out. Lots of fun.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Good, sturdy guns. Mine is a bit newer than yours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LadderRaised30-30.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	308167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpruceGun.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	308168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1USSoldierWith94SpruceGun.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	308169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester94SpruceGun30-30.jpg 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	308170
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I have a 1905 vintage 1894 that i'm working up cast loads for.
    I paid $650.00 for it,a bit much perhaps but i felt i wouldn't find another one in as good.
    ​Je suis Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Good, sturdy guns. Mine is a bit newer than yours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LadderRaised30-30.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	308167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpruceGun.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	308168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1USSoldierWith94SpruceGun.jpg 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	308169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester94SpruceGun30-30.jpg 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	308170
    I love your ammo belt. haha, I never thought to use one of those for this sort of gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ATCDoktor View Post
    Yep, it’s chambered in 30 WCF.

It’s a neat old rifle that’s been cut down at some point in its long hard life, it appears that it’s ownership history may have carved in its stock.

If you look close you can see the name “Jose” and the initials JBE as well as others whittled into the stock:

As far as bore condition is concerned the barrel has no lands and grooves just a visible spiral that’s high in spots and low in others but as you can see it’ll still stabilize plated and jacketed bullets at speeds between 1450 and 2000 FPS.
    So freakin cool. I have enjoyed thinking about what sort of adventures my gun has gotten into before its gotten into my hands. Maybe not much in the later years, but certainly in the late 1800s it served it's purpose well I bet.

Bet that rifle was passed around in a card game or sheriff’s office…….Now that is cool!

If only those old Winchester’s could talk.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm about to buy a Winchester 1894, made in year 1895, 30 WCF.

It feels weird I'm about to shoot a gun that is older than every single human alive on earth...

It says it is mechanically 'very good', and bore is 'very good'. I plan to receive it, do basic function check. Aside from that, what else should I check?

I've never owned any actual authentic winchester. From what I gather the steel used for the entire 94 line in 30-30 was pretty strong so I don't need to worry about that. I suppose I should say "1894 line" as I don't think it was called the "94" at that date.

Ive also been told by Bazoo that I should check the link pin, and lever pin for wear, which he said is primarily where the 1894 wears out at which can cause headspacing issues. Considering those are $2 parts I was just going to buy new ones.

Wowsers! I also have an 1894 made in 1895, but mine, serial number 42,xxx, is in .38-55 calibre; it is the rifle version with an octagon barrel. I only put a few (maybe 20?) rounds through it reckoning its antique value might outweigh its price as a shooter. (When I bought it, 40+ years back, a good used .30wcf '94 could be had in the $125.00 USD range).
    I'd follow other advice given in above posts -- clean, clean, and clean it; oil where necessary, and exclusively using cast bullets: shoot away!
    Congrats on your find -- and best wishes!
    geo

Boolit Buddy

I have a 24" 1894 rifle in 30-30 with a mint bore that's not much to look at ("patina") but is a surprising tackdriver with both factory rounds, and cast boolit reloads driven by Unique.

Noah

Boolit Master
    Don't worry about replacing parts unless you really have to just keep it clean and enjoy it. (The first rule of auto mechanics also applies to firearms.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast