Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts about Winchester 1894 from 1895?

Boolit Grand Master

If I had a gun that needed to be "baby'd" I'd get rid of it. Shoot it, hunt with it and pass it down to your heirs.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    I love your ammo belt. haha, I never thought to use one of those for this sort of gun.
    Krag belt fits .30-30s close enough.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Here are some poor quality photos of it, I'll take better ones when I get it!

Can someone explain what this cody firearms database is? Is this worth doing? I want to learn something but if its just a piece of paper that says something is "official" i dont care. But if it had some kind of extra historical information that I'd never know other than getting it I'd be interested

One question I have is do you think the bolt will knock the rear peep site over every single time? I thought that might be possibility before buying it but wasnt sure

The bolt will clear the sight. The sight is laid over for storage in the pics.

Cody firearms Museum is can offer a letter for your gun, if there is a record of it, offering what configuration it left the factory and if anyone famous owned it that is known via serial number. It’s a waste of time unless you think the gun is of historical importance in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    The bolt will clear the sight. The sight is laid over for storage in the pics.

Cody firearms Museum is can offer a letter for your gun, if there is a record of it, offering what configuration it left the factory and if anyone famous owned it that is known via serial number. It’s a waste of time unless you think the gun is of historical importance in my opinion.
    ah ok, makese sense. i did see they dont offer the "full" information for most guns, only those < 1906 (it says after this its mostly only dates).. I figured if mine fell in that window maybe theyd have extra info on it.

Boolit Grand Master

Howdy
    We have a 94 made in 1895 in 38-55. Have to load a 40-1 263 (fat mold) sized .382 with a a case full (near) of 3F Goex to get 3.5 inches at 100.
    Smokeless (Buffalo or 5744) takes a .386 (same fat mold) cast of WW.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    That is a takedown model. I like it!

Have my Grandads 30-30 made in 1896 and it she shoots great today. He bought it used from the 1st owner about 1900. The rifle is tight, never shot all that much but for deer hunting. All Win 1894 30-30's are high pressure smokeless powder guns so if they check out ok by the Smith guys any standard ammo can be used.

Boolit Buddy

oooohhh....a takedown as well? Heck yeah!

Boolit Buddy
    Make sure the tang sight is mounted properly. The bolt should not contact the sight at all during it's movement. Also make sure it's the right sight model for the 1894 in 3030. If the bolt contacts the sight it is not the correct sight for the gun. That looks like a lyman tang sight. I have a lyman on a Browning 1886 and on my Marlin 1893 and 336.
    Bill

That is just a wonderful looking rifle. I would clean and clean until the bore does not give brown stained patch's. That is one rifle that is worth trying every thing to return to useful condition. In my humble opinion I would consider doing anything possible to return it to a shooter including getting it relined to a pristine bore and enjoy it for the rest of your life.

I take my old vintage 1893 Marlin and set by a campfire and imagine where it has been. A wonderful time for this old duffer. I also have a 1873 that I do the same with. It is an esrly 38 WCF and I enjoy it maybe more at the range than almost any other rifle I own (er tasked with keeping for a period of time before it wonders into another's hands after I am gone

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    Here are some poor quality photos of it, I'll take better ones when I get it!

Takedown model makes it worth more. I ended up with a Marlin 1893 that my father traded into that has three notches in the stock. It was found in a miners cabin and the barrel was damaged when the roof caved in. We always wondered about the three notches, three claim jumpers, three Indians or three bears .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12