WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keven coster movie

Very good movie.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master

Who remembers how many bullets Frank had lodged in him?

This is VERY read worthy! >>> https://firearmslawyer.net/2014/11/0...-and-his-guns/
    Last edited by Dieselhorses; 12-17-2022 at 07:27 AM.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

Just an FYI.

Costner was one of the 4 people that voted for Liz Cheney.

I hate supporting people that consider me an idiot.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Huh, never heard of it but i've become more of a Costner fan since the epic Dancing With Wolves. If you have not seen that on a big screen you missed something. To have lived in the times of the expansion into the Great Prairies must have been something.
    DWW was a great film of his.
    Since you say you are a Costner fan, another film he did (The Postman, 1997) was poorly received, so many people don't even know about it. It was kind of like 3 movies in 1. I really loved it, but I like most any post-apocalyptic movie.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    A lot of those roads were just dirt back then too. Going over 25 mph felt like you were being beaten to death.
    Doing that kind of mileage, you just about had to live in your car.
    snip.
    i grew up with dirt roads and gravel roads. Some of the dirt roads were smoother than pavement when conditions were right usually just after a light rain and the surface packed.
    Gravel roads were tire eaters, especially the early real rubber tyres.
    My older cousins had a Model A, on a good day that car could do a mile in less than a minute. The only fly in the soup was the tires were unreliable. they were constantly patching tires and could not afford new
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Moderator Emeritus

G-Man by Steven Hunter is a great fictional read that has the shoot out in it. It puts Bob Lee Swagger's Grandfather in it and then working for the FBI in Chicago in the 30's for a few years. Hunter does firearms fiction extremely well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    It caught my eye that he also bought a case of ammo all off the shelf--- at some small town store.
    And it was just to hunt down 4-5 people. But then again, they were armed about as well as the Rangers.
    I think that one of the best lines occurred after Costner was through looking at the guns in the store. The proprietor says “which one would you like?” Costner than replies “ all of them! And give me the ammo for them too!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Frank Hamer was retired at the time. Bonnie and Clyde were on a roll! They robbed and murdered alot of folks and cops! The state of Texas hired the two retired Rangers to track down and take out Bonnie and Clyde. The best scene is Frank Hamer buying guns in a hardware store! Pay attention! He bought a 21 Colt Thompson and a Colt Monitor BAR along with a pile of other irons. Frank Hamer's favorite gun was the Remington Model 8 in 35 Remington because when he was interviewed said that 35 Rem would shoot through the firewall of a Ford Model A. Great movie! Saw it three times!! We have our firearms rights infringed! Should be able to buy any gun in a hardware store!!! Still have a Remington Model 81 Woodsmaster in 30 Remington. Fun to shoot!!!
    Hamer and Gualt were not "retired" Rangers. In 1932 Governor Miriam "Ma" Ferguson, fired the entire Ranger force for supporting incumbent Governor Ross Sterling against her in the election. Sterling was a former Ranger. At that time the Rangers were under direct control of the Governor's Office. They often were used as the Governor's personal army, sometimes with strong political overtones.

In 1935 the Texas Department of Public Safety was created and the Rangers reorganized and made a division of the DPS. There was a lag time between the creation of the DPS and the organization of the Ranger Division. It was during this lag time that Hamer and Gualt were hired track down Bonnie and Clyde. Manny Gualt was accepted into the new Ranger Division as a Captain, but Hamer was not. He had made to many political enemies.

The movie in question is the most accurate retelling of the story on the big screen, although there are some glaring historical errors. Hamer got a fair shake in this movie which he did not in earlier movies of the event.

Texas Ranger history is complex and interesting. They often did excellent work and other times they did not. The pervasive Ranger Myth belies a different reality. I have known quite a few Rangers over my life time. Most of them were first rate Peace Officers, but a few were not worth the powder and shot to kill them. My Great Grandfather was a Texas Ranger from 1855 to 1861 when their job was to track and kill Comanche. The Comanche were a scourge on Texas.

Addendum: The creation of Texas was the result of Comanche depredations first on the Spanish and then on the Mexicans. They rendered life in Texas unsustainable much beyond the environs of a few towns. The new Mexican government invited "impresarios" like Austin and Peters to establish colonies in Texas populated with Anglos. These folks were supposed to be Comanche bait, keeping the Comanche out of Mexico proper. Surprise....the Anglos created Ranging Companies to deal with the Comanche, which they did. These "Rangers" adopted many of the Comanche tactics and just would not quit, often following them deep into Comancharia to their winter quarters and killing them in their beds. These early Rangers were tough esso bees.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 12-18-2022 at 10:57 AM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Hamer and Gualt were not "retired" Rangers. In 1932 Governor Miriam "Ma" Ferguson, fired the entire Ranger force for supporting incumbent Governor Ross Sterling against her in the election. Sterling was a former Ranger. At that time the Rangers were under direct control of the Governor's Office. They often were used as the Governor's personal army, sometimes with strong political overtones.

In 1935 the Texas Department of Public Safety was created and the Rangers reorganized and made a division of the DPS. There was a lag time between the creation of the DPS and the organization of the Ranger Division. It was during this lag time that Hamer and Gualt were hired track down Bonnie and Clyde. Manny Gualt was accepted into the new Ranger Division as a Captain, but Hamer was not. He had made to many political enemies.

The movie in question is the most accurate retelling of the story on the big screen, although there are some glaring historical errors. Hamer got a fair shake in this movie which he did not in earlier movies of the event.

Texas Ranger history is complex and interesting. They often did excellent work and other times they did not. The pervasive Ranger Myth belies a different reality. I have known quite a few Rangers over my life time. Most of them were first rate Peace Officers, but a few were not worth the powder and shot to kill them. My Great Grandfather was a Texas Ranger from 1855 to 1861 when their job was to track and kill Comanche. The Comanche were a scourge on Texas.

LIKE !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Huh, never heard of it but i've become more of a Costner fan since the epic Dancing With Wolves. If you have not seen that on a big screen you missed something. To have lived in the times of the expansion into the Great Prairies must have been something.
    Dancing With Wolves was a political hack job. It glorified the Plains Indians far beyond reality and demonized the United States Army also far beyond reality. It was just another Hollywood attempt at rewriting history forming oppressed people and their oppressors. Watching this movies will teach nothing about the real history of the expansion into the great prairies.

Both the Natives and expanding Whites had good and bad people, heroes and villains. The expansion of American produced a conflict of incompatible civilizations and societies.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 12-18-2022 at 10:48 AM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

I thought it was a decent movie. It was a little slow at times. The gunshop scene alone was worth the time to watch the movie.

I thought it an ok movie. like his one about the Mafia better. Also a BIG fan of the Texas Rangers, tough dudes back in the days of the early Texas and the old west. Of course modern times and politics has ruined much of their image as anyone not having European ancestry are the good guys now.

Boolit Master

His Water World is the definition of Suck!

I enjoyed going through the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco. Lots of cool stuff.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Dancing With Wolves was a political hack job. It glorified the Plains Indians far beyond reality and demonized the United States Army also far beyond reality. It was just another Hollywood attempt at rewriting history forming oppressed people and their oppressors. Watching this movies will teach nothing about the real history of the expansion into the great prairies.

Both the Natives and expanding Whites had good and bad people, heroes and villains. The expansion of American produced a conflict of incompatible civilizations and societies.
    The best thing about "Dances With Wolves" is, I made a butt load of money off of it!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

It was worth watching which says a lot these days because most movies are a waste of time. I think his role in Yellowstone is better.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12