Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data

Thread: DIY Lam/Luber Heater - cast iron plate?

DIY Lam/Luber Heater - cast iron plate?

I'm looking to build a DIY heater for my luber, though still thinking of just using a cheap blow dryer. Can't find any aluminum plate scrap locally for the base, then it occurs to me I have an oval fish fryer in thick cast iron I'm willing to sacrifice. The only issue I see is that it's cast iron and I don't want its rusting to screw up the base of the LAM. Thoughts? Thin aluminum "skin" mounted on top of the cast iron, below the LAM base?
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    I set my lube sizer on a piece of thick tablet backer, that has been greased, and use a hair dryer when needed. I mount the lube sizer on my table saw when I need to size and lube.

Boolit Master
    Just a thought off the top of my head. Why not find a cast iron skillet and cover it with aluminum roof flashing from the building center?

OK, thanks guys. Froogal, never thought of flashing. Good idea. The cast iron fryer I have is basically a skillet, just oval, so that would probably work.

It's this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	314858622_5512491695471215_4750526219571104927_n.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	308130
    -Paul

Boolit Master

I would send you a piece of 1/4 aluminum plate if you sent me that piece of casr LOL hate to ruin good cast iron. GW

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    I would send you a piece of 1/4 aluminum plate if you sent me that piece of casr LOL hate to ruin good cast iron. GW
    Lol, maybe you're right. I love cast iron. Any ideas on where to look for scrap steel plate? For some reason everywhere here doesn't seem to deal in it.
    -Paul

Might try a local machine/welding shop. Or maybe a scrapyard. They probably have a scrap in the size you need.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Master
    One cheap way is a solder iron. When it warms up a little I turn it off and use a low watt Christmas tree bulb tied to the side. I have a heat gun also to heat in a hurry. A little over 100 degrees works for me. Winter is the only time I need the lube heater. I have 8-450's to keep warm. You can tie a night light on the side and leave it on all the time also.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 12-16-2022 at 01:02 AM.

Boolit Master
    Ah have fun drilling holes in a cast iron pot! Hope you got patience a slow drill and a lot of them.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Check some thrift stores.
    You might find some thick Alum. serving platters there. Or Alum. pots that could be cut, flattened, and layered

I got one that would work if I had such a project as yours-- and be a lot easier to cut & drill than cast Iron,,,, for 25 cents.
    I originally thought it was pewter and hit the jackpot...... but you can't hit a home run every time.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post
    Might try a local machine/welding shop. Or maybe a scrapyard. They probably have a scrap in the size you need.

Sam Sackett
    Best path right here.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

I have sourced lots of small metal pieces by stopping by a local welding or machine shop and asking if I could look through their scrap barrel. Mostly for free but I do give the guy that I talked to a little cash for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    I'm looking to build a DIY heater for my luber, though still thinking of just using a cheap blow dryer. Can't find any aluminum plate scrap locally for the base, then it occurs to me I have an oval fish fryer in thick cast iron I'm willing to sacrifice. The only issue I see is that it's cast iron and I don't want its rusting to screw up the base of the LAM. Thoughts? Thin aluminum "skin" mounted on top of the cast iron, below the LAM base?
    I've got a half built aluminum plate lubrisizer heat with I think 12v heaters. Started to build it, made up a batch of Ben's Red. Don't need the heater anymore.

If I remember I'll take pictures when I'm in the shed later. Maybe just what you are looking for.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a rectangle of .135 cold rolled steel screwed down to one of my benches. It is drilled and tapped for attaching several different tools. For a lube heater, I set a yard sale electric iron on the back of it.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Thanks for the help guys. Yep, I picked up a piece at a local welding shop, so we're good. 15meter, thanks too man.

Tempted by the RCBS heater, but can't justify the dough on something like this. Looks nice though.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Lol, maybe you're right. I love cast iron. Any ideas on where to look for scrap steel plate? For some reason everywhere here doesn't seem to deal in it.
    If you have a metal supply near by, such as Dillon or Alro, they typically have bins of remnant aluminum stock that they sell by weight.