Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Warranty" on plastic ammo boxes

Boolit Master

"Warranty" on plastic ammo boxes

I purchased "a case per caliber" or more of 20-round, 50-round and 100-round plastic ammo boxes. Time, use, and mishandling (dropped when full) have rendered some snapped hinges and broken plastic lids and bodies.

Which Mfg's (Franklin Arsenal, Cabela's, RCBS, Lee, others) are likely to replace their units...not that I feel it's their fault, but if they had offered "replacement" for cracked hinges, mfg. defects (not that I have any), "whatever", I have long forgotten.

We're talking a dozen boxes at most, differing calibers, and probably less than $100, which have been "written off" and replaced. Anybody look to the Mfg's for warranty relief on plastic ammo boxes? Is there even "such a thing" or is this like stepping on Superman's Cape?
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I ran over an MTM cartridge box they replaced it. As far as the other mfg check their website. I've had mainly MTM products for that reason.

Boolit Master
    Really heavy duty plastic tape. Know any helicopter mechanics? Abrasion tape used on the leading edge of rotor blades is pretty thick and sticks well.

Boolit Master
    In my thinking they go under the general heading of consumable, I use them until they fail (then somtimes beyond) and then they are (sadly) disposed of and replaced. Unlike something high end like a Pelican case i expect no kind if support past the initial sale/use.

Boolit Master

Broken hinges are why I like slip top boxes when possible.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I still have a bunch (never counted them, 40ish) of the MTM single piece boxes from the 80's-90's before they went to the current two piece design. I have had 2 or so of the lids come off over the years. I just pitched them and bought new ones. Had a dozen black, red, blue and green 44 mag boxes that I gave to my kid and replaced with all green ones last summer. Picked up some more rifle boxes and other pistol boxes at the same time. They're cheap for how long they last.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have 20 of the old Herters slip top cases from when I shot NRA Bullseye 50 years ago. IIRC they were $.29 each. I will never need to replace them.
    Don Verna

Not worth the warranty effort in my thoughts.
    I use my birthday discount at Midwayusa each year to stock up if I need.
    But I only use those boxes for “specialty” loads and precision rifle.

Otherwise my cast bulk loads go into reused peanut and nut jars.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    I purchased "a case per caliber" or more of 20-round, 50-round and 100-round plastic ammo boxes. Time, use, and mishandling (dropped when full) have rendered some snapped hinges and broken plastic lids and bodies.

Which Mfg's (Franklin Arsenal, Cabela's, RCBS, Lee, others) are likely to replace their units...not that I feel it's their fault, but if they had offered "replacement" for cracked hinges, mfg. defects (not that I have any), "whatever", I have long forgotten.

We're talking a dozen boxes at most, differing calibers, and probably less than $100, which have been "written off" and replaced. Anybody look to the Mfg's for warranty relief on plastic ammo boxes? Is there even "such a thing" or is this like stepping on Superman's Cape?
    I only use the true hinge boxes, dark green, forget the brand, never have needed to replace any.

If they want it back before sending a new one-- the postage costs more than the retail price of a new one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If they want it back before sending a new one-- the postage costs more than the retail price of a new one.
    If you pulverize it into little pieces it may fit in a first-class envelope.
    Years ago I purchased several dozen plastic ammo boxes made in the USA by Plano. They replaced three for broken hinges and / or lid lock tabs without requiring return of the old ones.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have 20 of the old Herters slip top cases from when I shot NRA Bullseye 50 years ago. IIRC they were $.29 each. I will never need to replace them.
    Yup. Bought some at least 50 plus years ago and they are working just fine. Super model perfect and .29 each!!
    😁
    Facta non verba

I use Dillon with their NO BS warranty.
    They would replace them happily.
    But I don't bother.
    The postage is more than the boxes....simply not worth the effort.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    What's not worth the effort is asking them to replace and item that you mistreated and broke. Do you also expect them to replace food that you consume and thus don't use of have any more? And we wonder why prices go up.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    I have found that some manufacturers will replace an item based on a photo of the broken item. Try that before mailing.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yeah, was thinking the same with expensive shipping having to send them back. It just cost me $74.98 Economy fed ex ground with no insurance to ship a 25” x 28” x7” fourteen pound box to Oregon for warranty Xbow repair. The bow casing me $1200 back in 2015’ so it was almost worth getting gouged for ground shipping. I shipped firearms fed ex ground for $15/$23 on average a couple times this past year! I was told because it was going to Oregon from WI I was being gouged. I’d tell you give them a call and ask to email a photo of the broke boxes. Otherwise as cheap as they are I’d use them as is or toss them.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-14-2022 at 06:20 PM.

Boolit Master

I consider plastic ammo boxes purchased from whoever to be used and abused at my pleasure, and disposable at the end of their reliability'
    Then I just buy more. Thank Goodness there is still something in the shooting related market place that's still affordable.
    About 18 months ago a guy on Ebay had 30ea Dillon Blue plastic ammo boxes for 45acp with the slip on lids for sale = 25.00 delivered.
    Said they were used. I could find no evidence they had ever been used when I received them. Yeah, 70 something cents each.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    What's not worth the effort is asking them to replace and item that you mistreated and broke.
    That is EXACTLY the Dillon "NO BS" warranty. If it breaks, they replace it. Period.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    I only use the true hinge boxes, dark green, forget the brand, never have needed to replace any.
    Yep! MTM Delux.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Herters had great boxes cheap and since I'm an old guy I've got a bunch of them.

I purchased some Berry's boxes and a few in the bunch had latch issues. I gave them a call to see if I returned them if they would replace them. The lady was super nice and she mailed me new replacement boxes. Since they were so good to me I'll continue to buy their boxes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast