MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: First Time Casting with Saeco Mold

Boolit Bub

First Time Casting with Saeco Mold

Hello Folks,

Just want to check back in. I was able to finally cast again after a 1.5 yr hiatus due to my health. I thought I would not be able to cast again but am so happy to be able to do so.

I purchased this Saeco mold 383 last yr when Midway was having a clearance. Compared to my Lee and even RCBS, this has been the most pleasurable casting experience I've had since starting this new hobby almost 2 yrs ago.

The mold required almost zero prep, good bullets started dropping after 3 pours, only light tapping needed to release bullets, diameter is spot on (.356-.357), very minimal rejects.

The learning curve on this mold is very quick. I think I'm really liking steel molds better, especially Saeco.

Thanks for all your input since I started this forum.

Boolit Master
    I prefer my Lyman steel molds over NOE aluminum… except that one Lyman mold that needed repair and then got damaged further by Lyman’s repair shop.
    I’ve been eyeing a few Saeco molds. You’re kinda pushing me to the edge here

Boolit Master
    I'm glad to hear that the casting experience went well. You're casting one of my favorite projectiles, and I am heartened to learn that they seem to cast well with minimal trouble.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

Glad You're Back !
    Boolits are looking good ...
    Keep On Keeping On
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    You can't go wrong with a Saeco mold!

Boolit Buddy
    Saeco molds are wonderful. I just wish they were in a few more designs. When up to temperature with the right alloy they are a production machine.

Boolit Master
    I've got no quarrels with SAECO molds

Yup,got a few Saeco's....

Last one has been a real bugger. 3 different cast sessions and just hasn't come around yet,to the point that it's in the running for top obstinate honors.

Oh,would buy another Saeco in a moments notice,if fact saving for one now. Only posted to say/show that there can be issues with any mould co's products. Have a cpl Lyman's that aren't great....drop ok,dimensionally ok,just that the design ID doesn't jibe. No different from one NOE that should've been sent back. Lee is running 3-1,good/great-lousy. And some others.

I do like Saeco though... good luck with your casting.

Boolit Master

Great looking bullets, glad you are able to cast again.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats, kudos, and welcome back! I acquired my first SAECO mould decades back and, frankly, was a bit disappointed. I confided my unhappiness to a fellow at R&G club, and -- with kind of a smirk -- asked if I had genuine SAECO handles on it -- which I had not. Shooting twice weekly, the next night he brought a set of SAECO handles for me to try, and guess what? Just this switch made it into the most awesome, best mould I had at the time. I do not recall from where I executed purchase (I returned lent handles) -- but those SAECO-brand handles remain on the mould to today!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Shopdog: Have you tried Kroil as a mold release? It is sorta counter-intuitive, but it works wonders. Is that the family doberman in the glasses?

Boolit Master

One of my favorites!!

I dont own one yet. I borrow a buddies.

I use mineral oil on my molds between casting sessions. It burns off clean does NOT contaminate and cause issues. Generally its clean just being 30 min on the hot plate but ALWAYS a blast of brake clean has it cast ready 100% of the time.

ONLY ONLY time Ill use heave petroleum on my molds is for LONG TERM storage. I (we) work hard to get my molds clean and cast ready. Dont ruin that work putting anything else on the mold.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

SAECO has a little copper in their alloy for the blocks, that is what gives them the golden color, it also helps with holding heat!
    I really like my SAECO molds.