RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Anyone cast for old Marlins?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone cast for old Marlins?

My brother has an older Marlin 336 chambered in 35 Rem. It is a great gun, manufactured in 1952. I was thinking of trying some of the lee 35-200 that worked so well in my 358 Win. What rifling do these older Marlins have? And are they usually cast friendly/easy to cast for? Or does it take some doing? Not sure I want to tackle it if it is gong to be a difficult process since with the factory FTX Hornady ammo it shoots 3/4 inch at 100 yards.

Boolit Master

If it's a Micro Groove, it should be stamped as such on the barrel - although it isn't hard to tell by looking. Otherwise, it'll be good old basic Ballard. Neither is hard to load cast for, but like anything else, the caveat is to find out your bore and groove diameters before you start ordering molds, buying your sizing dies, etc...

Definitely worth doing for cheap practice ammo if nothing else. In California, I have to hunt with Barnes or some other copper pill, but the ability to cheaply burn 50 or so cast on water bottles in a single session gets you off the bench and practicing offhand with your primary hunting gun. For that purpose, all you need is minute of Minute Maid.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Moderator Emeritus

Mine is a year older and it has been a ton of fun. I shoot the Saeco 352 @245 gr and the RCBS 200 bullets. I don't know the twist rate nor have I worried about it. I don't think micro-groove rifling started until quite a few years later than yours. I have never played with pistol weight bullets in mine, nor have I bothered to try jacketed bullets. Get some 4895 and start having fun.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Marlin 336's are new Marlins as these were made from the late 40's onward and need to be purchased through the FFL process. Old Marlins were made prior to 1900 and can be purchased as "antiques". But the ones from the 1950's are of standard rifling persuasion. Mine likes the Lee version of the 205 grain bullet just fine; and I like Lee's 6-cavity mold that turns 'em out rapidly to keep both me and the rifle happy.

Mine doesn't put out any 3/4" groups, but it never has seen a jacketed bullet either.

I used to also have a 1980's model with the microgroove rifling (gave it to a grandson-in-law) and it liked the same cast boolit loads I use in the 1950 model. I don't think you'll have any problems with cast boolits in the new Marlin unless you are expecting sub-moa from them.

Boolit Buddy
    Not expecting sub-MOA, will be happy to keep it within 2-3 inches at 100 yards!

Boolit Master

jevyod
    a little reading for you:

https://www.marlinowners.com/threads...andloads.5328/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    My brother has an older Marlin 336 chambered in 35 Rem. It is a great gun, manufactured in 1952. I was thinking of trying some of the lee 35-200 that worked so well in my 358 Win. What rifling do these older Marlins have? And are they usually cast friendly/easy to cast for? Or does it take some doing? Not sure I want to tackle it if it is gong to be a difficult process since with the factory FTX Hornady ammo it shoots 3/4 inch at 100 yards.
    I'd have to agree with the factory FTX being impressive. Very accurate in my 35's.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Grand Master

Your Marlin is not micro groove and is very cast bullet friendly. You will easily duplicate standard factory velocities with the Lee C358-200-RF which is a close copy of the RCBS 35-200-FN, widely considered the standard casting for the cartridge.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks