Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aluminum Duct Tape to Increase Lee 6-Cavity Mould Cavity Diameter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Hey Fox:
    The furnace tape will yield an egg shaped bullet! Lee mold are soft aluminum. Machine a die steel piece of rod stock( A2, D2, or O1) die steel. Machine the land rings to .002 over the groove diameter of your barrel. Heat treat the rod stock to 58 Rockwell. Grind several flutes into the rings on the shank. Put cutting oil on the Lee mold and the cutter. Use a drill press turning slow or a vertical milling machine. Use a "C" clamp to slowly close the mold halves onto the turning cutter. Make sure the mold can't spin as you close the "C" clamp. Do each cavity this way. A slow turning hand drill will also work. Clean your mold and go cast some bullets! You will have great bullets that can be sized to groove diameter.
    Or slap a couple of pieces of aluminum tape on the mould and try it before you go full machinist mode on a $35 mould. It is definitely worth the trouble if just for the knowledge gained.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master
    As in all things Mechanical, it is easy to make assumptions and assertions..My serious Question
    Who has Tested the Results of Various Methods, especially against your bestest most roundest Boolits...On Target... Bench/Measuring devices be damned!!! 1/2 inch on target??? or a Foot on target??
    Inquiring minds require (non Biased) quantification... Thanks

Boolit Master
    If you have actually used Beagle's technique and were disapppointed, then go ahead and poo-poo it. I used it on Lee 452-250-RF with the desired result after running through a .454" size die. The alloy was old style wheel weights with a bit of added tin. The finished bullets were Round and .454". I have since changed to powder coating and sizing.

prs

Boolit Grand Master

You are saying that the non taped dimension was under .454 inch and actually increased in size on the trip through the sizer die?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Beagling actually does work. You may not get match-quality boolits but beagling them up and sizing back down you can fit them (close enough) to an odd-sized bore, or you can determine what size mold you actually need.
    Anyone who doesn't believe it, take it up with "Beagle" if he's still around or browse his threads, here's a place to start: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ghlight=Beagle
    If you want to call a man a liar, do it to his face.
    Last edited by JSnover; 12-14-2022 at 07:49 AM.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    You are saying that the non taped dimension was under .454 inch and actually increased in size on the trip through the sizer die?
    It absolutely can. An out-of-round piece of lead being pushed through a cylindrical die can displace in more than one direction; it doesn't just make the lube grooves smaller. Most of the sizing would occur at the fattest portion but as that metal is smashed inwards it can force the undersized portion out somewhat.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    It absolutely can. An out-of-round piece of lead being pushed through a cylindrical die can displace in more than one direction; it doesn't just make the lube grooves smaller. Most of the sizing would occur at the fattest portion but as that metal is smashed inwards it can force the undersized portion out somewhat.
    Important to note , that a Lubri-sizer does Not operate like an Edger in a Sawmill...No material is "shaved off...or shouldn't be if operated and set up correctly.. A proper die qmay Try to force metal longitudinally...but a Proper Punch fit will control that, not allowing "flash" either..
    Look to Swaging to fully Understand!!!
    My $0.02... And I still want Test results from Poo Poo 'ers...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Beagling actually does work. You may not get match-quality boolits but beagling them up and sizing back down you can fit them (close enough) to an odd-sized bore, or you can determine what size mold you actually need.
    Anyone who doesn't believe it, take it up with "Beagle" if he's still around or browse his threads, here's a place to start: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ghlight=Beagle
    If you want to call a man a liar, do it to his face.
    That’s a bit harsh. I haven’t called anyone a liar.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Aluminum Duct Tape to Increase Lee 6-Cavity Mould Cavity Diameter

The current edition on news stands ( January 2023) of guns magazine has a full article about beagleing bullet molds starting on pg. 54. The author Alan Garbers used the technique for a Winchester 1886 in .40–82. Shooting steal targets at 150-200 yards. He beagled a Rcbs mold. Bullets were droping .002-.003 undersized. The author states he was able to makes is boolits 003-.004 larger by beagleing. Than sized them in a Lee sizer

The author even gives a shout out and mentions the cast bullet forum where he found the technique.

Disclaimer: I’ve never done but, probably will have to in the near future. Yeah I’ll admit For bench rest shooting it may not be the best technique. However, for banging steel and making ammo for not so common guns it would definitely be a viable technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michael.birdsley; 12-14-2022 at 12:20 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't knock it, if you haven't tried it. I have to confess I was sceptical at first, but I needed some larger .361 boolits for one of those 380/200 Aussie trade-ins. I salvaged a 6 inch piece of aluminum flashing that was supposedly .003 and put in my 358-311 and it worked very well. Groups shrank, leading ceased, and accuracy improved.

Now maybe for the most demanding of applications, where extreme accuracy is required, it might be a little problematic, but for iron-sighted revolvers, it works very well. The accuracy gain from properly fitting boolits far outweighs the minor loss of accuracy from a slightly unbalanced boolit.

Now, for it to work, you have to do it right. First, .003-.005 is about the limit that you can achieve, it works best with a single layer. If you spread the mold halves too wide, you'll get flashing and whiskers. That can also be an issue with a pot of alloy that is too hot. Second, you have to size the boolit for best results before launching through your six slightly different chamber throats (unless Doug Guy has done his magic). You'll get better accuracy that way.

However, it can and does yield very serviceable boolits. I have not tried it in rifle cartridges, but der Beagle has published photos of his experiments which seemed to show success. This is a useful trick for the caster whose wallet doesn't bulge with Benjamins.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

rintinglen (above) is correct: It works, is fairly easy to accomplish, and can be reversed if one doesn't like the results. E.g., I had a Saeco RG-4 bore riding CB [mould] which dropped CB's too small for my .30-06 (Win. Mod. 70). Once I beagled it, I got a CB whose nose actually was engraved by the rifling with a corresponding increase in accuracy. The only downside was those CB's looked ugly, at least to me. I think I swapped or sold it for something that actually fit my rifles's bore.

Btw, I did this to a Lee 6 cavity mould as well and it worked as expected.
    Last edited by Maven; 12-14-2022 at 07:37 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I hope after all these posts, everyone is convinced that beagling works. Many thanks to Ukrifleman, who first told me about it for my 6.5 Swedish boolits.

Boolit Master
    I too was mildly skeptical, but could also see it working.
    I wouldn’t do it for shooting bench rest cast bullet competition, but for typical usage, it’s great!

I’ve got two uses for it.
    1. Many Lee dies are under size. It’s a quick, easy way to make an undersized bullet usable. I bought a Lee .312”-185gr 2R RN for my .303Brit and 7.62x54R Mosin-Nagant 91/30.
    The mold as received was just a mismarked .309”180gr RNGC. I was very disappointed!
    I taped it on both sides! It now throws bullets measuring.315”. I size them to .314” and they shoot great. 20gr of #2400 in the Brit. And 24.0gr in the Russian.
    I did likewise with the 160gr .311 PTD GC 6-cavity. Sizing to .311 doesn’t affect the accuracy any observable amount.

Another use is to enlarge the .356”, .401”, and .452” Lee TUMBLE LUBE MOLDS that typically cast undersized bullets. I recently used a .356” 124gr RN TL mold that I’d given up on 25yrs ago. I taped it and powder coated the bullets. They measure .359-.360” now. I sized them to .357” and they shot marvelous loaded over 5.4gr of LongShot.

Boolit Master

I've done it too, and will add to the "It works" chorus here. I was surprised at how well it works.

I don't use Beagled molds anymore, since I started powder coating. Powder coating has been an absolute revolution in casting, for me. I tend to be a bit of a traditionalist, but powder coating just solves so many problems, including undersized molds.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Powder coating can also help you pick up some size if the tape trick (search “Beagling”) doesn’t get you there.
    I would think this would be the better option, adding to the overall diameter.

Boolit Master
    I've beagled molds in the past, and it works. I prefer high temp flue tape over the aluminum duct tape.

In case it has not been said - for those who do not know our very own Beagle, on this board, was the perpetrator, hence the name of the procedure. Thanks again, Beagle!

However, PC seems to offer an advantage in both sizing and a hard coating for many applications. End all of improvements? Probably not, but it works for applications where needed.

In one case recently I got a mold of smaller dimension of its larger kin, specifically to PC and eliminate the nose size problem of the bigger brother. Worked better, actually great. Ready to load and shoot dimension was ideal for it's application.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12