Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Czech m/98-22 8x57

Boolit Master

Czech m/98-22 8x57

You don't see much about the Czech 98/22. These were sold by Southern Ohio Gun Distributors for $59. No rust or pitting but barrels showed significant wear but certainly not wore out. Stock on this one appears to be Turkish replacement very pretty grain walnut but rough overall finish and beech replacement handguard. But for $59 how could you complain? This one was made in 1923 and the Turkish characters on the rear sight ladder are witness to their bloodlines. The Czech steel industry was second to none. Very high quality actions and bolts.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Kinda neat... Never seen a 98-22 Turk Rework! Interesting... Is the Barrel Turk Marked as well??
    If that is a Full Turk (M38) conversion, is the front of receiver milled back for handguard fitment??
    odd indeed

Boolit Master
    I bought three of those Turks.
    One I re barreled to a .35 Whelen custom rifle.
    I still have two more that I will eventually rebuild them.
    I already bought replacement stocks to put them back to original look.
    The rifles came with very nice looking wood on the stocks
    But it looks like someone tried to sand the finish off so they are worn down but can be saved.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Kinda neat... Never seen a 98-22 Turk Rework! Interesting... Is the Barrel Turk Marked as well??
    If that is a Full Turk (M38) conversion, is the front of receiver milled back for handguard fitment??
    odd indeed
    Only thing Turk is the stock. Barrel is original Czech. And it is not a Turk m38 and never had the receiver type you're thinking of. Its made in Czechoslovakia not Germany.

Dutch

Beautiful BRNO... They always produced the slickest Mausers in my opinion, smooth operation and quality metallurgy.

Boolit Master
    I also bought 3 of the Turkish M38's.
    One of those I Customized to 25-06.
    I had to rethread the barrel from a large ring thread to a small ring thread shank.
    I think the Czech 98/22 is a better made receiver.

The Czech 98/22 that I had was fully the equal of the 1909 Peruvian that I had- and the 1909 was a "Real Mauser".

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The country of Czechoslovakia was formed from part of what used to be Austria- Hungary as part of the treaty of Versailles following the close of World War One. This new country needed to form and arm a standing army, but the war had ravaged a lot of the country & industry. Germany had produced millions of Gew 98 rifles during the war, and with their army being reduced to only 100,000 men, there were going to be a lot of surplus rifles. A great many of these German Gew 98's that were still in new or very good condition were shipped to Czechoslovakia following the war so that they could be reworked and reconditioned at the arms factory at Brno. These rifles were designated 98-22 because they were issued to the Czech army in 1922.

Re-using the German WW1 rifles got the Czech army on it's feet, but the country wanted to produce it's own rifles, and wanted the 600 mm "carbine" length barrels (like the K98) instead of the very long barrels that were used on the Gew 98. By 1924 they were able to begin producing their own rifles, which were designated VZ-24. The 98-22 actions were made from case hardened mild steel, while the VZ-24 action benefited from the advancements of alloy steels that were developed during the war.

Though some Turkish M38 parts might be interchangeable with a 98-22, like the stock and rear sight, the barrels for an M38 have small ring threads, and the 98-22 is a large ring receiver. A couple of years ago I built my younger brother a 308 sporter on a 98-22 action. These are a smooth and very nice action. They were made in Germany, then hand picked for the best actions and sent to Czechoslovakia for fitting and finishing. Good rifles.

Boolit Master
    ^^^ Except that some (odd) M38 Turks were in Fact Large Ring. Front of receiver milled back for handguard retention.
    M38 seems to be more about Look and Feel than interchangeability!! In some Cases anyway...

Boolit Grand Master
    A few yrs. ago in Birmingham, I was walking around in the Gun Show. The only thing that really interested me was a 98/22, BRNO, 8X57mm, Long rifle.
    I was fine until I asked the owner to remove the bolt and let me examine the bore.
    WOW ! !
    The bore in this one looks like it was made yesterday. The metal and wood are 90% +.
    You know the rest of the story.
    The rifle came home with me.

Ben

Last edited by Ben; 12-13-2022 at 06:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    "^^^ Except that some (odd) M38 Turks were in Fact Large Ring. Front of receiver milled back for handguard retention.
    M38 seems to be more about Look and Feel than interchangeability!! In some Cases anyway..."

Those large ring M38 actions were made from WW2 German K98's that were reworked at the Turkish armory in Ankara in 1954.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm.
    That is interesting that they converted German Mausers into type 38s.
    All of the Turk 38s that I have owned had large ring receivers with a small ring barrel shank.
    Plus several other measurements that are larger than Mauser 98s
    Like the rib over the magazine area.
    Plus straight bolt handles
    Last edited by LAGS; 12-13-2022 at 07:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Hmmm.
    That is interesting that they converted German Mausers into type 38s.
    All of the Turk 38s that I have owned had large ring receivers with a small ring barrel shank.
    Plus several other measurements that are larger than Mauser 98s
    Last I knew...small rings on small ring receivers were Turkish M38 also...according to Turks...
    But...I been wrong more than a couple times!!!!
    Since I own a (natural) Small Ring, that was sold as an M38...IDK
    And I know from having my hands on them...that there are in Fact...M38's that are "natural" large rings" cut back for handguard retention...
    look her for the real Deal
    https://www.turkmauser.com/models.aspx
    Last edited by racepres; 12-13-2022 at 07:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    I stand corrected: those large ring 1954 Turkish actions that were cut back weren't K98's after all. They were GEW 98's https://www.turkmauser.com/models.aspx
    This discussion on the Turkish variants is kinda side tracking the discussion on the 98-22 Mauser. It's too bad that these rifles can't talk because it's been my experience that every mil-surp Mauser has a story to tell.

Boolit Bub

Vz-22

I graded literally thousands of Turkish rifles for a seller and found only two fully matching & correct VZ22 rifles, both "B" block guns. I cant seem to load some pictures but the bolt, bands, floor plate and rear sight all have the two digit number while the stock, trigger guard & receiver have the full four digit numbers. The bore is near new on this rifle, and the receiver raceways are still bright. Good shooter as well. Regards, JH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vz22-2.jpg   vz22-1.jpg   vz22-4.jpg   vz22-3.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    I've had several 98/22's in excellent condition with near mint bores. Great rifles. I still have one that looks like the one pictured.

I have a Czech in 25/06. I didn't molest it first, I just finished it. Very nice rifles indeed

Boolit Master
    I never saw one these 98/22 but I bought a bunch of vz24’s. My old gun shop buddy told me these were some of best polished actions so I decided when I retire I will have something to turn into all the cartridges I dreamed of having to to play with. Only one was nice enough to keep original. Most had darker bores but they still shot well. Actions were very nice with very little rust on at the wood lines of stock. 50 bucks apiece and got the green light from the better half so I got enough of them!
    Look twice, shoot once.