MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: 45-70 rolling block?

Boolit Buddy

45-70 rolling block?

so...i need another project like a hole in the head, but a few years ago a rolling block caught my eye at a show, and i began looking into them.

Is there a current repro rolling block that is suitable for smokeless 45-70 loads? i don't mean "buffalo bore" level, but reasonable loads that one could shoot 20 or more of without collar bone damage.

If i were to build up a rifle, id need a type 5 action i believe?

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Tippman armory msrp 1,100 bucks. Assembled rifle from modern steels.

Boolit Master

The Tippman rifle is not a copy of the Remington. It uses coil springs and has smaller pivot pins. Also they left an important safety feature out of the action, you can pull the trigger with the block open. This allows the hammer to drop against the block and when the block is closed the hammer drops to the half cock. This action could break the trigger and allow the gun to fire. I have two of the actions in stock, no one seems to be interested.

Boolit Grand Master

The Navy Arms Rollers (1980's) were made from some good steel.. We have one in 45-90 and handles 1886 Winchester loads well..
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    John Taylor,

Interesting, I have been eying one and wasnt aware. Another foolish attempt to make a proven design "better".

Tippman Rollers are butt ugly. I wouldn't use the actions even if they were better copies. Considering what a guy can buy a decent used military Rolling Block action, or rifle for, I'd always go that route for a build in any of the old rimmed cartridges.
    .45-70 in medium smokeless loads is perfect for a older Rolling Block action. I have numerous Rolling Blocks built on old military or Sporting actions, and shoot them all using smokeless 4198 powder. If you're not pushing them to maximum velocities they'll last forever. And building one up isn't going to cost anymore than buying a complete new Rolling Block from Pedersoli; and likely a lot less!

Boolit Master

The Navy arms action alway felt funny to me, sort of tinny sounding. I do believe they will hold up well, just never cared for them. My own is a #5 that I machined the top octagon. Was 45-70 but I was not happy with it so I made it into a 38-55, lots easier on the shoulder, less powder and lead. I have a #5 barreled action with a 34" octagon barrel in 45-90 if anyone is interested, customer died.

Boolit Master

I have a few original #1's that handle trapdoor level loads well. I am sure the actions would handle heavier loads but I don't see any need.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle