Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .25 Stevens rimfire

Boolit Master

I'll add that not all rifles chambered for 25 Stevens use a .251" groove size. My understanding is that Stevens made rifles do, at least the early ones. But Remington and perhaps others used a .258" groove size (plus or minus a little). So definitely slug the bore to find out what you have. Centerfire cases are pretty easy to make from .22 Hornet brass. Converting them to reloadable rimfire takes a bit more work. I'll say up front this is not for the beginning or casual reloader. It takes special effort and care to make these. If you are seriously interested in pursuing this, PM me with your email address. I've written up detailed, step by step instructions with photos showing how I make my .25 Stevens cases. I can send a .pdf of it.
    Steve
    Last edited by ndnchf; 12-12-2022 at 03:22 PM.

I have never found a Stevens with the mythical .251 grooves. I have seven Stevens examples, starting with a sideplate Favorite and running through the years to a Savage-era 1915 Favorite. Model 44s, Model 12s, They all slug ~.257 groove diameter.

I think the idea about a .251 groove must come from the entry in Barnes. Not the only error he published with respect to Stevens cartridges.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Here is a video I made about shooting the .25 Stevens just before Thanksgiving.
    https://youtu.be/N4VKrxhvD6E

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    That thread is indeed full of good information. I load and shoot 25 Stevens in both rimfire and centerfire for two rifles - a #4 rolling block and a #2 rolling block. It is an excellent cartridge - accurate, economical and just plain fun. I've posted several youtube videos about shooting it too. Its takes some work to make your cases and loading gear, but if you are a dedicated shooter, a little extra effort is well worth it. If the bore was shot out, then its worth relining to something easier. But since the bore is very good, its well worth the effort.
    Yeppers, this is the place to go for info. I was so impressed I sprung for a new lathe and mill just so I could play like ndnchf.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    Yeppers, this is the place to go for info. I was so impressed I sprung for a new lathe and mill just so I could play like ndnchf.
    Well done - go forth and make good things

Boolit Mold

This is what Roy did

doc06262320221228094814.pdf
    A good friend of mine converted a Marlin 25 Steven’s RF to a center fire and wrote the attached summary of what he did. Roy is approaching 90 years old and suffers from macular degeneration, but he still gets things done.

Seems like we're just re-inventing the wheel here.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

With the growing interest in the .25 Stevens, I decided to make a video showing how I convert .22 Hornet to .25 Stevens. I made a 2-part video series showing my process.

Part 1 covers reforming .22 Hornet to .25 Stevens dimensions. Part 2 cover converting the case from centerfire to reloadable rimfire.

I hope you find it interesting.
    Steve

Part 1:
    https://youtu.be/y_9G-FqDdKk

Part 2:
    https://youtu.be/GsEV8MwXDu8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12