WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45 ACP bullets

Range lead of 8-9bhn is pretty much all I shoot in my 45acp. Especially if PC, just no reason to add anything else.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Yeah 3.5gr of BE would require a recoil spring change & even then, might not cycle well. Something closer to 4gr as starting should run.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Before you go too far down the cast boolit path in your 1911, buy a few cast boolits and test them out in your pistol. Many love cast but some don't.

My 1911 leads like crazy no matter what boolit or load is used. I probably need to take it to a smith who understands setting up 1911's for cast. It's a shame, as I've got several 45 acp molds including a genuine H&G #68.

I cast the lee copy of the HG68 as well as the 230TC. I powder coat. I will use scrap lead with a bit of pewter added for tin, COWW, or whatever for these bullets. The alloy doesn't seem to make much difference, so one of these molds is what I keep handy when I just want to empty the pot. Unless I am running pure or something extremely hard, it makes good 45 bullets. Antimony and tin cost money, no point in wasting it on a cartridge where it doesn't matter.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    For target I like the HG-68 or clone. I use 4.2gr of Bullseye and it usually shoots great. My alloy runs around a 9 - 10bhn.

Like mentioned though, if your going to go the cast route it might do you well to try different profiles. Mine also really like the MP 452-200 HP using the same alloy.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

The H&G 200 has been the gold standsrd for decades in most IDPA, IPSP, 2400 Beye plate matches, etc. With a 45 ACP W 252 AA(WST), 231, Unique, #5, #7 @8-850.I shot four 1911s a Para Ord LDA and a Smith 25-2 shot the H &G 200 cast in them all.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I feel that I would be remiss to not recommend the SAECO #58 215 gr. LSWC for general purpose use in .45 ACP. It may not feed quite as well as the H&G #68 clones, but a little polishing and attention of c.o.a.l. fixes this. Its ~9mm diameter meplat and .452" shoulder cut nice clean holes (in everything), and the projectile can be safely driven to 950+ f/s in .45 ACP. This projectile deserves more appreciation than it usually gets. It deserves better.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 41mag View Post
    For target I like the HG-68 or clone. I use 4.2gr of Bullseye and it usually shoots great. My alloy runs around a 9 - 10bhn.

Like mentioned though, if your going to go the cast route it might do you well to try different profiles. Mine also really like the MP 452-200 HP using the same alloy.
    I just recently received the same MP 452-200 HP mold. Love the way these molds cast. What powder are you using( 4.2 of Bulleye?? ). I tried Win231 and loaded 15 rounds each of 4.8,5.0,5.2, and 5.4 and it seems 5.0 gave me the best group. I also powder coat for my SR1911 .45acp.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123