RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8.6 Blackout 1:3 twist cast boolits are possible!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by technojock View Post
    It still seems like an answer in search of a question...

Tony
    Realistically, You could say the same thing about any cartridge developed in the last 110 years.

Boolit Buddy
    If that were true, there would be a lot less guns in my safe.

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Buddy
    Think i will stick with my 375 Raptor 370 gr powder coat boolits 1 in 10 twist great accuracy out to and past 100 yds brass made from milsurp , I don't see the 1 in 3 twist as being needed.

Boolit Buddy
    I've always wanted a .375 H&H or a .416 Rigby but for the life of me I can't explain why.

Tony

AKA Geezerbiker

475AR, the point is very few people use a 45 GAP. If a cartridge is good, the popularity will spread and stay with us a few years. Other than from devoted reloaders, you’d have a hard time going to WalMart and buying a box. On another note, it seems you’ve filled the criteria of a heavy subsonic bullet out of a semi auto with your 45 GAP conversion. Maybe you could resurrect it

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    475AR, the point is very few people use a 45 GAP. If a cartridge is good, the popularity will spread and stay with us a few years. Other than from devoted reloaders, you’d have a hard time going to WalMart and buying a box. On another note, it seems you’ve filled the criteria of a heavy subsonic bullet out of a semi auto with your 45 GAP conversion. Maybe you could resurrect it
    I think that marketing types are the casue of cartridges to fail, they pump them up and when people get them and do not perform as advertised then they drop them and the cartridges get a bad rap. Case in point the 41 magnum has been said to be a dead cartridge that won't die, the 44 magnum can do everything the 41 can and do it better. When in fact it is the opposite, the 41 can do everything the 44 can and in most times with bullets of less weight and less recoil.
    I don't want to revive the 45 GAP, because if it does become popular then I would have to pay more for brass, and as you mentioned I reload and factory ammo isn't a priority for me.
    Another case in point is with the 8.6 Blackout, as has been mentioned by many in this thread it is a solution looking for a problem. BUT if people want to work with it and experiment with it more power to them, and if they enjoy shooting it all the better. As I stated I am not going to jump on the 8.6 bandwagon as I already have a subsonic. 338 that will shoot the same bullets as the 8.6 and use a smaller platform (AR15) and a lot less powder.

Boolit Master
    Although I have no use, or interest, in the “8.6 Blackout” I have seen it used.
    1) NEVER try to shoot at it’s super-sonic potential through a suppressor without testing the bullet first with the suppressor removed… A factory Winchester 225 grain .338 WILL be particles as it exits the muzzle, and any suppressor will be toast on shot number one…. I know this to be fact! Lol

2) The idea (of course) was delivering a really high sectional density projectile at high RPM to keep it stable at the sub-sonic speeds as long as possible…It actually works, but is extreme.
    Special projectiles were developed with this weirdo that basically open/expand into several large blade-like appendages on impact that look wild in ballistic gel, spinning through the gelatin like a big cork-screwing broad-head… slashing giant spinning wound cavities…
    I’m sure more than a few were impressed enough by those photos to race out and get in line for an early version.

A buddy shooting it did state that someone had “successfully” used cast at 900 fps, IIRC, without the lead bullet fragmenting.
    He also said the report included no accuracy information at those speeds… I suggested that maybe it was because it couldn’t hit paper.

Lastly, lots of ideas that aren’t very good often sell like hot-cakes and outlast their usefulness. I’ll avoid mentioning several so their current fans don’t get their feelings hurt.
    Contrastingly, lots of very good ideas never get the attention they deserve and simply slip away. Some of those see a resurgence later and suddenly get lots of favorable attention, from the same people that ignored them originally.

The latest example of a good idea dying, but quickly returning to great fanfare is the PRC line of cartridges… The greatest thing since sliced bread…Precision Rifle Cartridge…
    Truth is, they are nothing more than the excellent case design of the Ruger Compact Magnums, that the shooting public at large basically ignored and let “die” in a very short time, being necked to various calibers and finally getting the credit they deserved 15 years ago.

Market success is not always a determining factor in the value of an idea, or the quality of a design.
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Boolit Bub
    Well said cainttype

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyNC View Post
    Not looking to start a discussion on the merits of the cartridge.
    But of course every chucklehead here did exactly that.

1:3" twist, wow, talk about spin drift.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

That's a VERY expensive semi auto to feed.

No thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Any one here actually shoot one yet? If Henry offered one in a single shot with a 4 to 1 twist rate, I'd have a hard time passing it up...

Tony

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Mold
    It was designed to be accurate out to 300 yards and still retain enough rotational energy to consistently expand. It was taking everything learned from the development and use of the 300 BO and improving upon it.

Boolit Mold
    Not out to 300 yards. And, as it has a lot of rotational energy, it retains that energy, so has much more energy on target. It’s just rotational rather than plain velocity.

Boolit Master
    Being subsonic wouldn’t the b.c. Of the pointy high speed bullet be pointless.
    It probably needs the spin speed to fragment and stay stable but bullets loose very little spin speed by the time they hit something and a round nose would be a more slicker.
    The drop difference at range would only be a couple of clicks difference out to 300 at least.

Obviously going for the 500-600 range area.

Personally can’t see any point unless you like to buy expensive hard to get boutiques bullets and need to go right out there.

Have to spot something then back away far enough to justify the expense of a shot.

Be like plinking with a 338 Lapua magnum at 100 yrds

The unwashed heaven in me tells me so.

I don't post often, but read almost everything here, so,The SAMMI organization is coming out with the specs for the 8.6BLK in a month or so, and they are "supposed" to be regulating the twist at 1:5. This means once they release the specs more folks will be getting onboard just like 300BLK. The 8.6 was specifically developed for "subsonics" and not high velocities. The high /tight twist is supposed to serve two purposes, 1) to help stabilize the larger boolits ,and 2) make one heck of a wound channel....seems to work in both cases.
    Happy New Year

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12