Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgun hunters (holsters)

Boolit Buddy

Handgun hunters (holsters)

Hey all, I may be using one of my Rugers for hunting when gun season rolls in. Just wondering about holster options people
    like. I'm favoring a cross draw because of comfort while sitting. (and I occasionally get up and walk around) I have a shoulder rig for my Blackhawk that fits both. but wearing a blaze orange vest is a problem, and with a bulky jacket. Same with a chest rig, it would cover too much of the vest. It can't be concealed under the vest. I looked at the drop down belt rig but while it looks appealing would put too much weight on my belt and i don't care for wearing suspenders.
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

I carry my Blackhawk 4 5/8” daily, including the times I’ve hunted with it, in a simply rugged sourdough pancake holster.

Perhaps a bandoleer rig? I guess that would cover a lot of orange eh?

Boolit Master

I like the over the shoulder cross draw for hunting.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post

Now there's an option I haven't looked at ...
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Master
    For forty years I hunted deer exclusively with handguns during the firearm season. I’ve tried and owned a LOT of different holsters during that time. The best I’ve owned is DiamondD rigs. https://www.diamonddcustomleather.co...-chest-holster
    They are a handmade custom fit rig for your gun and are highly adjustable for your size and build. They can be worn inside your coat, under your vest, or inside your coat. They are a super high quality rig meant for the serious handgunner. A bit pricey, but actually a good value when you factor in the exact fit for your gun and the means to carry to suit your clothing, build, and the weather. Check them out.

I use a bandoleer rig, and wear it over my jacket but under my vest. No one would think that it was trying to be concealed. When I get to my spot, it comes out of the holster anyway.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    For forty years I hunted deer exclusively with handguns during the firearm season. I’ve tried and owned a LOT of different holsters during that time. The best I’ve owned is DiamondD rigs. https://www.diamonddcustomleather.co...-chest-holster
    They are a handmade custom fit rig for your gun and are highly adjustable for your size and build. They can be worn inside your coat, under your vest, or inside your coat. They are a super high quality rig meant for the serious handgunner. A bit pricey, but actually a good value when you factor in the exact fit for your gun and the means to carry to suit your clothing, build, and the weather. Check them out.
    This right here it’s one of the best options for hunting guns. There are several makers of chest rigs even Simply Rugged makes a rig for his holsters. His and DD are the best.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Midohhntr View Post
    Hey all, I may be using one of my Rugers for hunting when gun season rolls in. Just wondering about holster options people
    like. I'm favoring a cross draw because of comfort while sitting. (and I occasionally get up and walk around) I have a shoulder rig for my Blackhawk that fits both. but wearing a blaze orange vest is a problem, and with a bulky jacket. Same with a chest rig, it would cover too much of the vest. It can't be concealed under the vest. I looked at the drop down belt rig but while it looks appealing would put too much weight on my belt and i don't care for wearing suspenders.
    OK -- I have a leg that went bad (smashed knee / accident) and NEED a cane. Fortunately, the bad leg is my right, so cane is held/used with left arm and I shoot right handed. Added, since the leg went out I put on a few excess pounds. What didn't work for me were pretty much all options 'cept the chest (cause I didn't have one) and the cross draw seemed the best option. BUT -- add up my now overhanging belly and the need for good suspenders plus raiment to keep me warm and dry... I was at a loss re what might work best. A kind-of-mentor to me, an old (now deceased ) farmer and friend had similar gut with two working legs. What did Leon use? Bion, he got a Cowboy style holster complete with the leather tie strap to secure holster bottom to his leg!
    I tried it... my firearm of choice is a Lipsey .45acp/.45 Colt revolver and it is a perfect fit in a holster designed for a longer-barrel single action six! After trying it I found I have NO impediment from clothes -- including the orange vest -- nor my cane getting in the way -- nor difficulty in carrying my 1894 Winchester either as ready, or slinged over my shoulder.
    What I do...
    geo

Boolit Master
    Normal daily carry is at 3-4 O'clock depending on which platform, that doesn't work shouldering a rifle. The shoulder rig fixes that and I cannot believe Johnny Law would bust on you for covering arm pit down, if it did, write me the ticket!

Boolit Bub

check ringler leather von has a rig that is sort of convertable.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I carry my Blackhawk 4 5/8” daily, including the times I’ve hunted with it, in a simply rugged sourdough pancake holster.

I use the same rig for my Lipsey Flattop 44 Special with 5 1/2" barrel.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

If carrying my 7 1/2” barrel, I do cross draw for ease of drawing and sitting. if toting a 4 3/4” barrel, I just let it hang on my strong side.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all for the suggestions, I like the chest rigs and looked into them a few years ago and I still might consider that option, it and the bandolier style. I have an old "Uncle Mike's sidekick" for my 45 and used it in the crossdraw position many times and it is convenient except for the grip sticking out. My shoulder rig doesn't have enough adjustment in it to wear over a possibly bulky jacket, and the snap pops open on it's own sometimes. I'll deal with the vest situation somehow.
    NRA Lifer

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Midohhntr View Post
    ... and it is convenient except for the grip sticking out.....
    That, my friend, was the major challenge to/for me! My friend Leon brought it to my attention that "97% of the time" the revolver will be used for shots with the revolver out and ready -- e.g., waiting for the deer to appear. The other small percentage will be for "just shootin', like target" or, God forbid, signalling if lost or in distress. No "quick draw" shootout with Bambi . Again -- for me -- the Cowboy leg holster provides quick access to my revolver without the impediment of its grip being an impediment.
    What I use...
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07C1E776-D2A8-4583-86A2-FB100EC0967E.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	306619
    I may have solved the problem...now to see if it has enough adjustments to fit over my jacket and tree stand harness. I just slipped the holster portion through the arm of the vest...and to get those damn snaps to stay closed.
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    That, my friend, was the major challenge to/for me! My friend Leon brought it to my attention that "97% of the time" the revolver will be used for shots with the revolver out and ready -- e.g., waiting for the deer to appear. The other small percentage will be for "just shootin', like target" or, God forbid, signalling if lost or in distress. No "quick draw" shootout with Bambi . Again -- for me -- the Cowboy leg holster provides quick access to my revolver without the impediment of its grip being an impediment.
    What I use...
    geo
    I've considered that style as well... everything down low below the coat and nothing to bind movement.
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I Second this.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Name:	IMG_20221108_093629.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	306630

I really like this holster I made a few years ago. This is for a 6.5" N-Frame. It's patterned off a so-called WWII tanker holster. Great when in a sitting position (very common when I hunt). Puts the weight on the shoulder not on the waist. It's very securely retained yet very quickly drawn.
    s

Boolit Master
    My holster is an old M3 shoulder holster I modified by soaking in water to fit my Lipsey FT BH 4 1/2" in 44 Special. Added a cartridge slide from Wolf Ears and I am show to go.

Name:	Carttridge slide 44 1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	306631
    Britons shall never be slaves.

When hunting with a handgun, I carry two, a single shot in a hip flap holster and a 44 revolver in a shoulder rig, with a spring clip. I carry the 44 in case I get into a group of hogs. I usually move to my position guns in holster. Once in position the single shot comes out.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast