Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reloading job from hell

Banned

reloading job from hell

With all the scare about ammo i got it in my mind to stock up on 223s. Ive got about 4k loaded allready and figured that may not be enough. So i started ordering brass and bullets. I found 4000 ball bullets and about 2000 soft points so i started ordering once fired brass. Over the last two days ive sat in the living room with a lee hand press and decapped 3000 rounds of brass and then ran them through a small base sizing die. I like to decap seperately with a decapping die as it allways breaks normal decapping pins punching out crimped primers. Well i finished up yesterday morning. Just waiting now for my buddy to get my primer pocket swadger back to me. Then the mail man came knocking on the door and what does he have but another 1000 rounds of brass. I dont even remember buying this. I wanted to stick it in the garbage and pretend it didnt even come. I know one thing. I will have a 1050 set up in .223 when i next have gun money to spend!!

Decapping mil brass trick.

Deburr the flash holes on the inside of case before decapping. I have an RCBS deburr tool with it's #1 center drill point ground short with negative angle on drill point to ride on primer anvil.

Those pesky burrs are what catches the decap pin to break them off. Pins will be pushed to side to miss hole or push a burr in with them to seize and snap. After I started deburring flash holes first. Breaking a pin became a very rare occurrence.

I also use a primer pocket uniformer chucked in a power screwdriver to clean up all the primer pockets.
    Great fun.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    It's like money, Lloyd, you never have enough. ... felix
    felix

That ain't enough. Better get more, that 1050 otta have an appetite.
    Sprue ™

I got a XL650 set up for .223 sitting on my bench back home now. I also have a Giraud trimmer right next to it. I never expected that I would run through all my available components so fast.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Master
    May I ask a question? I own guns, am a gun nut, etc.; so this isn't an anti asking a question that you cannot answer properly. I just wanna know.

Are you stockpiling ammo for the day all hell breaks loose, or just to be assured of having some if thangs get shut down?

I got a little ammo for my rifle. I figure if I have to use that much, I'll prolly get killed before I use it all up. Now if it's just to have, why reload all at once?

Just some questions.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

HPDrifter, paranoia is it's own reward. Chicken little is alive and well...

Boolit Master

Were the boxes of jacketed bullets dust covered and sitting under your bench since Reagan was President, or did you recently find a good source for FMJ or SP .223?

Thanks,

Boolit Master

Lloyd are you saying that you have less than 10,000 rounds loaded for your 223`s??? shame on you!! now go get that Dillon 1050 and get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    HPDrifter, paranoia is it's own reward. Chicken little is alive and well...
    Killjoy!
    Will kill for food!

Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
    May I ask a question? I own guns, am a gun nut, etc.; so this isn't an anti asking a question that you cannot answer properly. I just wanna know.

Are you stockpiling ammo for the day all hell breaks loose, or just to be assured of having some if thangs get shut down?

I got a little ammo for my rifle. I figure if I have to use that much, I'll prolly get killed before I use it all up. Now if it's just to have, why reload all at once?

Just some questions.

Some folks like myself like to shoot alot, and it doesn't hurt to have extra. I have a 15 yr old son and he loves to go to the range too. Shooting is fun so therefore more ammo is more fun
    Will kill for food!

Who cares why he is reloading that much ammo?? He is smart thats why!! Never enough ammo........Never... Can always use ammo. At the range or whatever. You can always use more ammo...... I just did the same thing except with 308. Mil brass is a real process.I used a deacpping die set up in a seperate press, then ran everything through a fl die then an sb die in my 650. Then tumbled and loaded. that once fired mg brass is even worse than regular 223. I have a bunch of it now and am loading more this week. I am also in the thousands of loaded rounds. Was super cheap to load. The same ammo for sale is over 39.00 for a box of 20!!! I am not even close to that. It is definately worth the extra "work".
    Last edited by acemedic13; 02-01-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post

Just some questions.
    drifter,

I'll answer in the same vien as your question.

Possibly you haven't been paying attention, but we are in danger of some serious attack from the left as of late.

A heavy tax on components/ammo has been discussed for years by the enemy, to the tune of 5000%. That would put shooting out reach for a large percentage of the population, which of course is the idea.

Don't feel bad, guys like me think that guys like Lloyd are behing the curve.

Then again, the only use I'd have for .223 is as a varmit round. Looks like fed for a girl's gun to me.

Having stirred the pot, I'll run away now, laughing like a fool!

Don't shoot me Lloyd!!!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    I know what's going on. I've been buying components with all extra money that I can afford. I don't think I have enough yet, but I can have thousands of primers, pounds of powder, and stacks of boolits and not feel compelled to load them all up at once.

I'm not knocking anyone for doing anything. I just ask why load up 3000 rounds, then another 3000 rounds, and keep going. I'm just curious. If you like to shoot ALOT, I certainly understand. Heck, I understand even if ya don't shoot THAT much. I just load up a couple of hundred, shoot em up, and reload some more. My curiosity was just talkin to me.

Like I stated earllier, I have many, many rounds for my AK, but I believe if I have to use them for defense, I'll probably be kilt meself before I run out and I don't wanna leave too many rounds around for whoever kills me.

I shoot a lot myself. Of course my "a lot" maybe and probably is chicken feed to most of you, so I just can't see the need for thousands upon thousands of rounds, but if you shoot that much, I understand. I's just curious.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Banned

components are useless if you "need"them.
    i try to have enough "stuff" on hand to re-load each piece of brass 5 times.
    and i also try to have 3-500 pieces of brass on hand for each gun [not caliber gun]
    boolits is easy it's the other stuff that is hard.
    even before this crunch hit, it was hard.
    but empty brass is just that brass.
    itwould certainly suck to need 10 more rounds and have 1,000 bullets etc sitting on the shelf.

Cast Boolits Owner

It is all about planning

In my location you can only have so much stuff on hand. So much powder, primers and loaded ammo. With careful planning you can max all items. I think it is 10k primers, 50lbs of powder and 10k of loaded. By "storing" 10k of primers and some of the powder in brass cases (aka loaded ammo ) I can still have the max primers and powder available for reloading. So you KNOW what I am doing...

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Drifter has a point on the "if I am shooting that much I aint alive no more" argument.....But...... I am not planning on a massive standoff with "THE MAN". You really cant. He has Bradley's ,tanks, that sorta stuff. Your rifle, whatever it is aint gonna be worth a damn against that. The cops...another story.... It is just good form to be prepared for any situation, wether it be legislation, manufacturing shortage's, govermental upheaval, or a zombie takeover. I like loaded ammo and lots of "spare parts" on hand. I also like just making bullets.....and boolits...... I like the whole process of manufacturing my own stuff and looking at the consistent quality I can produce by my own hands.
    Not looking at brass as something to throw away, but seeing it as a commodity. Thats what makes guys like us different than other firearms owners. We enjoy making the ammo as much as shooting it. Thats why we have so much of it, and have as much money wrapped up in tools for its production as we have wrapped up in gun's to shoot it (some of us) The process of making it is fun to us. So it's natural to wanna load a lot of ammo, and natural to want to have a lot of components on hand. So lets embrace our addiction and fill the world with more ammo...Lots of it!!! take care folks I gotta go....Working early for the man today.

Quote Originally Posted by acemedic13 View Post
    Drifter has a point on the "if I am shooting that much I aint alive no more" argument.....But...... I am not planning on a massive standoff with "THE MAN". You really cant. He has Bradley's ,tanks, that sorta stuff. Your rifle, whatever it is aint gonna be worth a damn against that. The cops...another story.... It is just good form to be prepared for any situation, wether it be legislation, manufacturing shortage's, govermental upheaval, or a zombie takeover. I like loaded ammo and lots of "spare parts" on hand. I also like just making bullets.....and boolits...... I like the whole process of manufacturing my own stuff and looking at the consistent quality I can produce by my own hands.
    Not looking at brass as something to throw away, but seeing it as a commodity. Thats what makes guys like us different than other firearms owners. We enjoy making the ammo as much as shooting it. Thats why we have so much of it, and have as much money wrapped up in tools for its production as we have wrapped up in gun's to shoot it (some of us) The process of making it is fun to us. So it's natural to wanna load a lot of ammo, and natural to want to have a lot of components on hand. So lets embrace our addiction and fill the world with more ammo...Lots of it!!! take care folks I gotta go....Working early for the man today.

You have hit the proverbial nail on the head. I enjoy shooting and I do enjoy casting boolits and reloading as much as I enjoy going to the range. A couple of lifes simple pleasures that I just want to do over and over again.
    Will kill for food!

Banned

lots of reasons for doing it. I have 6 ars and a mini 14 and i do shoot them quite a bit. As to having more ammo then needed if #### hit the fan. I dont believe thats possible. One thing to keep in mind is that it will be as valuable as water and great trading material. Another good reason is with the price of ammo and components going and thats just if you can find them, what does it hurt to have a 5 year stash? I agree with the statement that the only good components are ones that are put together into usable ammo. A pile of brass does nothing if you dont have time to load it. As to the sky is falling. I think anyone who doesnt have at least some ammo dry food and water stashed in these times is an idiot. The food and water should be there even if its for just a small crisis like a tornado or huricane or even a power failure. Personly i live up in the sticks and if #### hit the fan this would be one of the last effected areas but if i lived in the citys or near them right now in my opinion you couldnt have enough ammo loaded.
    Last edited by waksupi; 02-03-2009 at 12:42 AM.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    First thing is if you own any of the so called BLACK GUNS you need lots of ammo as they use it in huge lots. It's just to hard not to let a few rip. I will say that some of the panic buying has put a huge dent in the supply line. And as stated by another member you should add food and water. I'm surprised every hurricane in Louisiana by the amount of people who go without making any preps and wait for someone else to help them.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast