RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a single Boolit - .38 +P to shoot both Henry Lever and Ruger Vaquero

Looking for a single Boolit - .38 +P to shoot both Henry Lever and Ruger Vaquero

I've been reading for a pretty long time now and am ready to jump into the Cast Boolit game.

I'm new to lever actions, just got my first, and am looking forward to competing in some of the SASS Cowboy Action shoots at my club. (CJRP)
    I'll be shooting both the Henry Big Boy and Ruger Vaquero.

I'd like to simplify my life with one round that will work well in both guns, preferably +P
    Not sure if it exists but it would be nice
    I will be loading with Unique

Other than blackpowder balls, Maxiballs, and fishing sinkers and jigs (which I've been pouring and powdercoating for 40ish years) this is my first foray into casting and my first foray into alloys. I have been reloading for 30 years but buying my bullets.

I'll need a good alloy. I have a few hundred lbs of linotype and the same in pure lead, but only a very small amount of tin, maybe 10 lbs (can always buy more if need be)

I will be powdercoating, although I do have an RCBS Lube-A-Matic if that's a better way to go.

These are the molds I have:
    Lee 358-140-SWC
    Lyman 358-495-DC
    Lee TL358-158-2R
    Lyman 358156

I'm leaning towards starting with the Lyman 358156, 155 Grain Semi-Wadcutter w Gas Check as I have 1500 Hornady copper gas checks I picked up somewhere and would like to use them
    With +P loads and gas checks I won't have to worry about channeling, correct? I had that happen not too long ago, shooting a purchased name brand cast bullet, causing a squib. Fortunately just jammed the cylinder, didn't get all the way into the barrel - scared the poo out of me none the less.

Is the 358156 the right choice and is semi-wadcutter a good shape for a lever action ?
    What percentage alloy should I start with?

Love this site, and have learned a ton already
    (and yes I have downloaded and read the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook)
    Last edited by Sudsy; 11-05-2022 at 01:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Use the TL358-158-2R. Forget the +P stuff. It only makes more noise and produces enough recoil to be uncomfortable and really does not do anything else. You don't need a gas check.

The TL358-158-2R is a round nose bullet (I shouldn't have listed that one)

I've heard that a round nose bullet is a poor choice in a Henry due to the strong tube spring causing a handful of chain fires - which would be bad

I've experienced the fun of a chain fire in a black powder revolver, I really really really don't want to experience anything even similar to that again. (no major injuries but busted the gun and planted a sliver of metal in my eyebrow that's still there)
    Last edited by Sudsy; 11-05-2022 at 01:45 PM.

And as for the +P I like to plink at longer distances, it's just what I enjoy - so a slight flatter shooting round is more desirable.
    An I don't find +P recoil to be uncomfortable.
    Full magnum rounds are a different story

Boolit Buddy

My Henry big boy will not feed the Lyman 358156. I had some Hornady 125gr XTP and loaded a few of those and they fed fine. I plan to find a round nose flat point mold at some point.

I hope yours feeds better than mine.

Boolit Buddy
    5.5 Unique and 358156. try it without the gas check, you may be surprised

Boolit Master
    Although I don't have a Henry 357 lever, the Lee 125 RF (drops from my mold at 132 gr) in front of 4.6 gr. of Bullseye in a 357 case is almost identical to a 38+p. I use the same shape Lee boolit (the 200 gr 45 cal RF dropping from my mold at 217 gr) in my 45LC Henry and it feeds butter smooth.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
    The TL358-158-2R is a round nose bullet (I shouldn't have listed that one)

I've heard that a round nose bullet is a poor choice in a Henry due to the strong tube spring causing a handful of chain fires - which would be bad

I've experienced the fun of a chain fire in a black powder revolver, I really really really don't want to experience anything even similar to that again. (no major injuries but busted the gun and planted a sliver of metal in my eyebrow that's still there)
    I have fired MANY of the .358-.158 round nose in my Henry all-weather. NEVER a problem with chain fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I have fired MANY of the .358-.158 round nose in my Henry all-weather. NEVER a problem with chain fire.
    It's rare, but it has happened.
    I see no reason to take a chance since I'm starting from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by TimD View Post
    My Henry big boy will not feed the Lyman 358156. I had some Hornady 125gr XTP and loaded a few of those and they fed fine. I plan to find a round nose flat point mold at some point.
    I hope yours feeds better than mine.
    I had some feeding issues with some store bought semi-wadcutters, catching on the shoulder, so I may have the same issue.
    I may start looking for a proper round nose flat point too.
    Last edited by Sudsy; 11-05-2022 at 07:10 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    If I were you I would be looking for a long nose 158. Short nose .30 length such as the Lee 158-RF are pretty short in 38 cases when crimped in the groove. Lever actions usually like at least 1.48" to feed fast and smooth. The NOE 154 WFN is a great bullet that makes a longer OAL 38 round.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate 36-159H is designed to produce a 1.55" long .38 Special to feed in .357 carbine and has a .25 meplat for good game performance.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

+P loads are not allowed in Cowboy Shoots.
    SASS rules forbid the use of anything but std velocity loads.
    When My Kids were young. They shot many, many thousands of light .38Spl loads in Cowboy shoots.
    They used the Lee #358-158-RF or Lyman #358665 over 3.5grs of Bullseye.
    Bullseye does not react as negatively as more modern ball powders with Powder Coat.
    The Lyman mold is listed in 2cav & 4cav, the Lee in 2cav or 6cav.
    If your rifle requires a longer O.A.L. then the .38Spl case, you can always load the longer .357Mag case for rifle use only.
    Unique; I suggest 4.0grs in .38Spl or 4.5grs in .357Mag cases.
    Good Luck
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Find the bullet and load that prints to the sights in your Vaquero - then see if it feeds in your Henry and adjust the sights if needed.
    My .04 ( inflation) worth…..

“I'd like to simplify my life with one round that will work well in both guns, preferably +P….”

I have a Ruger Vaquero in .44 Spl and a Rossi 92 in .44 Mag. My shared load is the Keith 429421 in .44 Spl cases, with 7.5 grains of Unique. I use a JPW/Alox lube. It feeds well in the Rossi 92. It is still under 1000 fps in the rifle. I think it is about 900 fps in the revolver. My .38 Spl load is the Keith 358429 with 5 grains of Unique. I expect that it will feed similar to .357 in a lever action. The longer bullet seems to feed like the magnum cartridge. The are both flat points, SWC, so they are safe in a tube magazine. I don’t know if they are +P equivalents. But the are not wimpy loads, and are comfortable to shoot. These are old loads, but they are fun and work in both the revolver and lever action for me.

Hello Sudsy,

I can't say for the Henry, but my son & I shoot the Lyman 358156
    in both my Rossi Puma, and his Marlin 1894 Cowboy with no feeding issues.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    I might add that not only have I never encountered any chain fire issues in the Henry, but after many thousands of rounds through a Rossi, NO problems there either. My wife shoots the Rossi in cowboy action. If I thought there was ANY chance for chain fire, I would not let her use it.

RN lead is not a problem in tube mag. Pointy hard nose is a no-no.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Nix the +P and gas checks for SASS matches. Not allowed. Nor are they appreciated by the other 'cowboys' and 'cowgirls' who are participating.

If you like the 358156 (one of my favorites in .357 mag) look for a Ly 358477 (sorta similar and it's plain base). And slow them down for the cowboy shoots.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Nix the +P and gas checks for SASS matches. Not allowed. Nor are they appreciated by the other 'cowboys' and 'cowgirls' who are participating.

If you like the 358156 (one of my favorites in .357 mag) look for a Ly 358477 (sorta similar and it's plain base). And slow them down for the cowboy shoots.
    If you want shoot SASS then, as mentioned, neither GC nor the +P load are allowed. Best to use a 125 gr bullet in 38 SPL cases with a load of Bullseye or Red Dot (or similar burning rate powder) that gives a velocity of 600 +/- fps.

For a +P load in 38 SPL cases for other purposes the 356156 is always my first choice. Cast soft (I prefer 40-1 alloy) and loaded over .5.5 gr of Unique with the bullet seated to the first crimp groove will equal the original Winchester 38 SPL +P load in velocity and psi. If seated out to the 2nd crimp groove then use 6 gr Unique.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast