Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Lee Auto Disk & Titegroup

Boolit Man

Lee Auto Disk & Titegroup

EDIT: Subject line incorrect should be:

Lee Auto Drum

EDIT
    ------

I have reloaded for many years now but I'm struggling to reload reliable 9mm in bulk.

My current setup is a Lee Breech Lock pro progressive press, using Lee dies and their Auto Drum powder measure.

My primary problem is that I'm getting occasional light powder loads and/or squibs, about 2-5 per 100 rounds. I'm using Titegroup powder.

Has anyone else had powder drop problems with the Auto Drum/Lee Expander die/Titegroup combination?
    Last edited by alexanderkidd; 11-04-2022 at 01:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    First off are you using the Lee auto desk or autodrum? Title says one thing and body of your text says another so I’m unsure. I have no experience with the autodrum so it would really be pointless for me to comment on it.
    Sorry for the abrupt end to my post I had an issue occurred here on the homefront that had to be taken care of and I must’ve inadvertently hit the reply button when I wasn’t quite done.
    Back to your question. Understand it only pertains to The Lee auto desk as I stated I have no experience with the autodrum. What charge are you dropping? I can tell you with extremely light charges ( This comes from a lee technician) there have been issues using the adjustable micro disc for the Lee auto desk. Other than that I know of no issues like what you have described. The amount of squibs you were describing is in no way acceptable! I’ve been reloading since the mid-1980s and I think I’ve had maybe five squibs in my lifetime! All of which have been my fault not equipment failure. Is this problem something that recently occurred or have you had it throughout? Either way I would reevaluate my reloading process, something is obviously not right! Having that many squibs suggests that you are somehow completing a round with no powder in the case! Just the primer! It could be argued that a squib is better than a double charge but that’s debatable. either way it could have disastrous results! Considering the virtual endless number of causes ranging from operator error( short stroking the press), static, improperly set up dies and powder measure to faulty equipment. If it was me I would tear down and inspect all dies and your powder measure. I would then slowly inspect every reloading function of the progressive reloading process! Paying close attention to the powder charging process. Visually inspect the cases, and I’d go as far as weighing each charge until I found out exactly what the problem was. I’ve loaded thousands and thousands of 9 mm ammunition using titee group and various other powders and I have never experienced the problem you are describing. I hope any of this helps. Good luck and above all else be safe.
    Last edited by poppy42; 11-04-2022 at 01:32 PM.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Knowing how the autodrum works, I would think it would be less reliable with small charges. As for the Autodisk, I use it for most all my pistol reloads. I have found it to be more consistent and you get it the same every time. I even use it on a Dillon 550B press.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Man
    I can't seem to change the subject, but the correct powder measure is the Lee Auto-Drum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexanderkidd View Post
    I can't seem to change the subject, but the correct powder measure is the Lee Auto-Drum
    If I was loading 9mm in bulk, I would purchase a Lee Auto Disk and use it. Low powder charges just seem to work better with the Auto Disk. On sale right now at Midway for 45.99 and free shipping at 49.99. Throw in the Autodisk Riser or Autodisk adjustable bar and you get free shipping. You can thank me later.

Rosewood
    Last edited by rosewood; 11-04-2022 at 11:50 PM.
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master
    When the Auto Drum first came out I fell in love with it. I now have two of them sitting on a shelf and haven’t used them in about three years. I always thought the Pro Auto disc seemed kind of useless not being adjustable and only having pre determined sizes of cavities. I got an Auto Disc in a box from some trades and decided to give it a try, this is just for pistol loading only. It works great, especially with small loads and fine powders. I first work up a load using traditional methods, then once I find a load I choose a cavity that throws a slightly lighter amount of powder. Then I use a tapered reamer to slowly ream the cavity until it throws the proper amount of powder. After that I mark that cavity and keep it in the can where I store the turret that’s already set up for the caliber I’m loading.

Boolit Master
    I had the same problem with the auto disk and light charges of tight group. Stopped using tight group because of it.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition