WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ruger 480

Boolit Man

Ruger 480

Does anyone have any resources for load data for the Ruger 480? I have plenty of manuals.Lymans, Lyman Cast, Hornady, Speer, Nosler, and Lee. I’ve looked on Hodgdon’s web page. I can not find any data for H110 and a Cast Performance GC 410 grain bullet, which by the way is the only bullet I can find right now. I’ve found a Lee 400 grn non checked mold which should be here Friday. I’ve got data to work with that bullet. Hodgdon’s site has data with Accurate powder and the 410 GC but I have none. I purchased 50 of the 410s and would like to use them. I have also used the search function with “Ruger 480” and get 2500 hits. I spent about 3 hours looking through those and give up. Any help would be appreciated.
    A bumble bee is considerable faster than a John Deere tractor

Boolit Man
    As I was typing ^ the wife limited the Hodgdon’s site to 480 and H110 and came up with a 405 CPB gas checked bullet. I can work with that I believe by starting a little below the start charge and working up.

https://singleactions.proboards.com/...ey-chart-added

Not sure if linking another site is okay, but there’s some data in this thread.
    I really like the hs6 and unique loads. My current bullet is a 477-640 350 grain solid and dropping lighter with hollow point pins. For deer and bear I push them around 1000-1100 FPS. Easy to shoot and accurate.
    Last edited by R-71; 11-03-2022 at 07:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm using the CP LBT 410 WFNGC bullet in the .480 I don't load it with H110.

Handloader Magazine, April 2016, has some data (2 loadings) from Brian Pearce for the 5 shot .480 using 400 grain cast bullets and H110

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by lolbell View Post
    I can work with that I believe by starting a little below the start charge and working up.
    H110/W296 is one powder that pretty much everybody knows not to download it below published start weights as it prefers a 75% or greater case density. I doubt 5 grains weight difference will be noticeable at all, regardless of load data. 5 grains is only 1.25% of the boolit weight if my math is close.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.thefreelibrary.com/RELOA...GER-a077824414

Article by taffin with loads for 395 and 425 grain with h110 as well as other weights may give more starting points

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by lolbell View Post
    I can work with that I believe by starting a little below the start charge and working up.
    H110/W296 is one powder that pretty much everybody knows not to download it below published start weights as it prefers a 75% or greater case density. I doubt 5 grains weight difference will be noticeable at all, regardless of load data. 5 grains is only 1.25% of the boolit weight if my math is close.

The thing to check carefully for, is the depth in the case of the base of each one of the boolits you are comparing. Not enough weight difference to worry with, but a significant difference in seating depth of the base of the two boolits could cause problems.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Man
    I’m aware of both the seating depth and the down loading of H110/296. My concern is I don’t have any information on the CPB 405 GC bullet on the Hodgdon site. I think CPB is a Cast Performance Bullet but they don’t list a 405 grain bullet, so I have nothing to compare with the bullet I do have. I don’t know if the profile of the bullet is a WFRN, SWC or what. The only other pistol powders I have are Trail Boss, Unique and Tighgroup. I wish this powder/primer shortage would wind down.

Vendor Sponsor

The boolit they have data for, with just slight variations in the pot you will get a weight swing that will be a lot more than any 5 grains, you cast the same boolit from 3 different pots and get 3 different weights, so there is that. As long as the boolit is seated close to the same, and the weight is within a reasonable percent I wouldn't worry about it.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by R-71 View Post
    https://singleactions.proboards.com/...ey-chart-added

Not sure if linking another site is okay, but there’s some data in this thread.
    I really like the hs6 and unique loads. My current bullet is a 477-640 350 grain solid and dropping lighter with hollow point pins. For deer and bear I push them around 1000-1100 FPS. Easy to shoot and accurate.
    Thanks for the link. Lots of good 480 information there. Looks like I can come up with something using Unique that will work great!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    The boolit they have data for, with just slight variations in the pot you will get a weight swing that will be a lot more than any 5 grains, you cast the same boolit from 3 different pots and get 3 different weights, so there is that. As long as the boolit is seated close to the same, and the weight is within a reasonable percent I wouldn't worry about it.
    Thanks DougGuy I think for these 410s I’ll use the published data for the 405s starting low and working up.

I particularly like the Longshot and HS6 loads with said mp hollow point.

Boolit Buddy

I used 12 grains of Unique in .475 Linebaugh brass under a 325 grain Lee GC bullet for this 285 lb. bear. Velocity in BFR was right at 1200 fps. While I can't help with a .480 load with your bullet I just wanted to point out that if you've got Unique you can make it work.

Edit to add....That Lee bullet is first in line next to 380 gr. LBT and 400 gr. RCBS. It punched right through both lungs and did a lot of damage in there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0123.jpg   bear2.jpg  

Boolit Master

I've been shooting 19.0 gr AA#9 under the 400 gr. Lee lubed with BAC. Works well and safe in my gun. Hodgdon lists this charge as max with the 400 gr Hornady XTP. Work up accordingly.
    I like the idea of slowing the lee 400 down and using HS-6 but accuracy had been sporadic with the load for me. Seems like the Lee 400 wants to go fast.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

I like 18.0 grains of 2400 topped by a 385 grain mp hollowpoint. I also like 14.0 grains of HS6 under the same bullet. I have used these same loads with a 410 grain flat point. They both are very accurate in my SBH. I didn’t have much luck in my gun wih Unique.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!